Thread: Stessl Boats

Stessl Boats

Has anyone had experience with stessl boats with self draining hulls flooding the deck with water when at sea

Re: Stessl Boats

Lots of boats are classed as self draining, but in reality, the floor is just not high enough above water level, and water comes in, that's assuming the boat is not full of water and sitting too low.

Thanks Noelm. I’ll be doing a good water test to see if it leaks.

Its just one of those things with plate boats because the designer/builder wants to keep the floors and centre of gravity as low as possible to keep them from rocking and rolling..

its very common in Supervee hulls like mine to have water sloshing around your feet when there is a bit of wave action...

I didnt like it so I leave the side scupper bungs in and keep my main centre scupper flap closed by means of a small bungee cord..

I dont do proper bar crossings or real big seas so the original scupper design isnt really needed in my case..but its nice to know its there if we ever do get caught out in very bad conditions..

Some builders use a non -return ball type system to prevent the water coming in...not sure how well it works..

Now that mine is sealed it doesnt bother me and after we bring water aboard from diving or if it rains I have a big sponge to soak up the majority of water if its bothering us...