Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockdown project started

Re: Lockdown project started

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    I have a 4hp Johnson seahorse twin piston.. sitting in the skip ready to go to its maker on Friday...just had a look and the lever on the side is the throttle start and stop...on this model anyway.Got it for a song many years ago..because it didnt run properly almost from new.Changed the plugs and it ran like a dream..until it wasnt needed, and has spent the last 30 years or so being royally neglected..You can have the whole damn thing if you want or we can sort out serial numbers and check compatability...and I can take off any parts you need ..no cost other than freight or postage...Im in Vic...can drop off in Melbourne Thursday anywhere along the Hume ..SE Freeway..Monash...glad if its of use.Your model has a built in fuel tank....mine has an external tank and connection..but what odds the internals are similar.The twin cylinder arrangement was very quiet .ish

Great little motor...as above no reverse...requiring some planning ahead...and a variable fuel flow for slow speed trolling..
    Thanks Inveratta. Great offer of help. This is what Ausfish is all about IMO. Like minded fishos helping each other. My Johnson outboard is Model No. 4BR76M, so I am guessing a 1976 model, serial number is A604280. There is definitely no gear change lever, but I can see where one could have been attached on another model (see photo), I removed the cowling today to check essentials. Flywheel is turning okay and prop is fixed. The carby is draining some gunk, so I am guessing a full strip and claen is in order, I am waiting to hear from Marine Direct Australia if a carby repair kit can be sourced within Australia, otherwise I may have to go to USA (not keen). My thoughts are to do the following jobs, put some new fuel in the tank and see how she goes.

1.Clean out fuel tank
    2. Strip and clean carby, replace parts as required. Is the Repco carby cleaner spray ok for this job?
    3. Change spark plugs, new Champion J6C motorcycle plugs
    4. Change gear oil.

I am no mechanic and have probably missed something esential here so I am happy to accept advice, if further work is required.

I live in Brisbane which motivated me to start this lockdown project. Coincidentally, I need to travel to Melbourne as soon as the borders are open again. I would be happy to take your outboard motor off your hands for future spare parts. This project is a labour of love for me as the boat and motor belonged to my Dad and I gave an undertaking to get it back on the water at some stage, I hope you can hang on for a few more days, possibly weeks until I can get to Melbourne. I am driving down in my truck so transport is not an issue.

Thanks again SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Seastrength, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me but what appears to be running strakes on either side of the keel are moving, in the first pic, the strake appear to be positioned almost half way on the transom bottom edge and in the last pic pic the right one seems to have moved almost to the corner of the transom, or they just a piece of ally channel you are using as a straight edge? I can't tell because of the low res of the pictures, so am I seeing things or are you moving them?

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Hi Seastrength, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me but what appears to be running strakes on either side of the keel are moving, in the first pic, the strake appear to be positioned almost half way on the transom bottom edge and in the last pic pic the right one seems to have moved almost to the corner of the transom, or they just a piece of ally channel you are using as a straight edge? I can't tell because of the low res of the pictures, so am I seeing things or are you moving them?

Hi Ed
    All good, strakes are pop rivetted to the hull. It is punt style design, so both photos show the strake beginning at the bow, not the transom. Creates an optical illusion (I think) when you have a flat bow and transom. Cheers SS

Had a good day today working on the motor. Striiped and cleaned the carby, fuel tank, checked and cleaned the points, changed the spark plugs, new gear oil and starter rope. That recoil spring bit me in the bum a few times. Boy, is that one tricky beast to get back into position. There is a YouTube video devoted to this problem alone. I could not get a new impeller kit so had to go with the old one for now. Put the motor in the tank, four pulls without choke, six pulls with choke and she fired up after 31 years in the shed! These motors are little rippers. Will make a start on the paint stripping Friday after a day off tomorrow fishing. Cheers SS

Managed to get more work done on the little tinny today in Queensland lockdown number 3. Since my last post, I have had the outside of the hull blasted with garnet to remove all the old paint. This has given me access to the bare alloy seams and pop rivets which were leaking. After two applications of grey marine sikaflex, she is now waterproof. I am undecided as to whether to repaint the hull at this stage, A new alloy dolly trailer and handle on the front have been added and I can now launch and retrieve easily from the ute tray. Middle seat has been removed to allow the crab pots to sit flat on the floor. Today was spent sanding back all the old plastibond filler over the internal joints and priming for painting. Plywood floor to go in tomorrow all going well with the weather. SS

Project now complete with removable marine plywood floor (3 coats of wood preserver as per Giddy's recommendation) and painted hull. The dolly trailer will allow me to launch and retrieve solo and transport on the ute tray. The alloy seams have been sealed with sika and no leaks after three water tests so far. I have also filled the voids under the seats with polystyrene foam to improve floatation in case of a capsize. Now ready to put to use in the local creek for crabbing although it might be too cold now, Always next season. Cheers SS

Excellent work. Congratulations.

Looks really good Sea well done

Great job.

My first ever outboard was an Evinrude - not exactly the same but not dissimilar. I became quite adept at stripping the carby to blow out the jet.......and almost as adept at finding the needle after I dropped it on whatever sandbank I was on. Those were the days. From memory mine had a carby bowl that was plastic and simply unscrewed to give access. I ended up fitting a small filter gauze that seemed to help with the jet clogging but never did fix it all together. In the teenage quest for speed, she was traded on a shiny new Yamaha as soon as I got a job. The props (at least mine was) are plastic - they do not tolerate contact with anything hard. While there is a shear pin, they are more likely to simply shear a blade off. In the late 80's they were still available, not sure about now.