Thread: Bluetooth sensors to monitor health of dual battery setup on boat- your thoughts?

Bluetooth sensors to monitor health of dual battery setup on boat- your thoughts?

In the absence of installing a hardwired monitoring system, I'm looking to install one of those bluetooth monitoring systems that can provide me with battery health information (voltage, charging, current flow, etc) and alerts while out on the water. Does anyone have any experience with these and can recommend a good quality solution?

Any pro's and cons between hardwire and bluetooth solutions?

I'm assuming that with a dual battery setup I will need to purchase "two" of these bluetooth sensor systems to avoid having to swap across to each battery when I wish to get information on each battery, is that right?

Re: Bluetooth sensors to monitor health of dual battery setup on boat- your thoughts?

I have an LCD panel wired to the house batteries which also sends a bluetooth signal to my phone. I've used the bluetooth a few times for novelty value but in practice it means I have to find my phone so I just look at the LCD. I've never monitored the start batteries as they're isolated as soon as we drop anchor.

Re: Bluetooth sensors to monitor health of dual battery setup on boat- your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by on-one View Post
    I have an LCD panel wired to the house batteries which also sends a bluetooth signal to my phone. I've used the bluetooth a few times for novelty value but in practice it means I have to find my phone so I just look at the LCD. I've never monitored the start batteries as they're isolated as soon as we drop anchor.
    I also prefer the LCD/LED Monitors as when I start anything up I can see how much draw is happening but I did think I could get away with my start battery as the previous couple of trips I noticed significant drop in voltage but pushed it 1 trip too far and it died on me.
    Now the interesting thing is when I noticed the drop I checked the battery with a load tester and it came in around 94% capacity which is why I wasn't too worried. I checked the SG of the acid and levels and it charged up nicely but was still dropping voltage quickly if used. When it died, it was quite quick, from Go to No Go.

Quote Originally Posted by on-one View Post
    Hmmm, early comments are that the LCD/LED hardwired panels may be the way to go, just got to find some space on my dashboard to install, its already crowded. Can you tell me the brand of that system that does both hardwire and bluetooth monitoring? I have the boat booked in for 100 hr motor service next week with a boat shop here in Sydney so maybe they may be able to install this at the same time. Is it something you can do yourself or is it a auto/marine electrician job?

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I also prefer the LCD/LED Monitors as when I start anything up I can see how much draw is happening but I did think I could get away with my start battery as the previous couple of trips I noticed significant drop in voltage but pushed it 1 trip too far and it died on me.
    Now the interesting thing is when I noticed the drop I checked the battery with a load tester and it came in around 94% capacity which is why I wasn't too worried. I checked the SG of the acid and levels and it charged up nicely but was still dropping voltage quickly if used. When it died, it was quite quick, from Go to No Go.
    Thanks for your thoughts. What brand LCD/LED system did you go with?

Mine isn't quite what you're looking for as it's built into a solar controller, can't remember the brand but It was relatively easy to self install (although I prefer to do my own wiring so I know where everything is). Depending on what you want it for you may not want it on the dash - mine is in the cockpit as I'm more interested in keeping an eye on the batteries when the engines aren't running.

I have a Victron mppt solar regulator that does the bluetooth stuff to your phone showing input, draw, voltage etc. Probalay similar to On-One's, I have kept it portable to use on camper and solar to boat or any battery when camping etc. They may have something in their range that does the job? Fairly reputable gear and no complaints with mine. Redarc are another quality supplier that may have something.

Cheers
    Muzza

no one has mentioned the easiest solution yet: upgrade your batteries to ones with the bluetooth built in (this maybe limited to new lithium batteries though)- download the enerdrive/invicta app on your phone to see what info the battery can provide. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    no one has mentioned the easiest solution yet: upgrade your batteries to ones with the bluetooth built in (this maybe limited to new lithium batteries though)- download the enerdrive/invicta app on your phone to see what info the battery can provide. Food for thought.
    I've seen it mentioned on some batteries other than lithium but once again it's something else I don't really need (not young enough to appreciate having everything on my phone).

Quote Originally Posted by richard2234 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. What brand LCD/LED system did you go with?
    Not sure of the brand, found one on ebay that I liked and very simple to wire up. One thing you need to have a look at is what each battery is driving. Ive isolated the start battery to only run the 150 hp motor, trim tabs and the electric anchor winch which requires high amps. Everything else is on the house battery, although there is a 1- 2 - 1/2 isolation switch which allows me to access either battery in case of a failure.
    I also took advantage of the auxiliary charging circuit on my motor (most 4 strokes of larger hp have them) to independently charge each battery eliminating VSR's, DC to DC chargers etc. Although now that I'm thinking of a 20 a/h Lithium just for the electric reels I may have to rethink the DC to DC charger or just wait till I get home.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Your only possible advantage to having such a setup would be for remote monitoring, ie, your boat is elsewhere, say, in the water, and you have the ability to monitor how things are going from a distance, which would involve some kind of celular connection. If you buy the battery ( likely lithium) with them built in, it would save you buying a battery monitor system, I guess, the phone app would replace that. My personal approach is to have an LED voltage indicator on my accessories panel ( the one with the USB/cigarette lighter / digital voltmeter) which also feeds the Travel Buddy off the same circuit. Also, I have one on my boat fridge. Then, to top it off, I have a voltage readout on one of my MFD's.

I wouldn't bother looking for a "quality" version of those panels, they all likely come out of the same factory, all that varies is the vendor markup. Cheap as chips, replace if necessary. I had to replace one, when the cigarette lighter receptacle picked up rust, but salt water will do that. One something like this, plenty of them out there. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-USB...Cclp%3A2334524

Wow, that a long hyperlink Anyway, just search USB accessories panel, or something like it. There are even a heap of results for Kings products now, you may as well buy unbranded, and see if you can find an Australian vendor for quicker delivery.

Yep, bought something like the one Ranmar has linked to, actually bought 2, was going to put the second one into the tinnie but it's just sitting on the shelf at the moment.