Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lithium power packs to jump start a 1999 115HP 2 stroke Yamaha - CCA rating?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Lithium power packs to jump start a 1999 115HP 2 stroke Yamaha - CCA rating?

CCA, or more correctly for boats, MCA, isn't just about the ability to just turn over the motor. It must be able to turn it over without really inducing elctronics-killing sag in the voltage. Most electronics will be designed to cope with a momentary drop to 10.5v --this happens in virtually all starting situations--measure it for yourself. But if sufficient cranking capacity is not there, it will drop even further. This is when all sorts of problems will crop up. As said above, if you have a good 2-battery setup, isolated by VSR so that House loads cannot impact on the Start battery, the only thing that will stop you is actual battery failure. This is very simple--people that have to keep their boat batteries on charge all the time have badly-wired boats. If you have a steady current drawdown on your battery with "everything off" , you don't have everything off. Modern electronics will nearly always have a need to be switched separately, don't rely on the Off switch on the device. if you have fully read most manuals, you will find it mentioned, I know Raymarine do. Even an NMEA2000 bus will draw current when everything is off. Have a switch for everything, a separated Start and House battery setup, and turn both switches off when you are back on the trailer and done.

Re: Lithium power packs to jump start a 1999 115HP 2 stroke Yamaha - CCA rating?

Quote Originally Posted by richard2234 View Post
    Good point. I have a 100 Series 4.2 Diesel Landcruiser that runs a 750CCA battery so may be good to get soemething that covers both the Landcuiser and the boat's motor. Is your's diesel or petrol? What brand is your Lipo battery?
    The one I am currently using is a older pack from remote helicopter. Brand is Turnigy 5000mAH, cost about $40 each and if u get the 4S u can briefly charge it with car, but alot safer to do it with a $60 Lipo charger with balancing cables. These are the thing this pack have started up.
    Diesel hilux, 140HP Suzuki. 25HP Yamaha, V6 AMAROK, 200 series cruiser. And a 75HP Kubota tractor.
    There is a trick to setting it up. The plug on the pack they come wigh have to be remove and replace with 50A anderson plug and another plug with minimum 6mm with short as possible cable connected to battery. There is possibly better way to set it up. Someone will comment soon. But this works fine for me.
    Always remember to disconnect as soon as your motor starts up
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Educate me please; when you say LiPo is this "Lithium Polymer"? I have read some reviews making a distinction I think between Lithuim Ion and Lithium Polymer and saying that the latter may be a better (safer?) option for these jump starter packs.
    LiPo is lithium polymer as you say, and they are a bit safer than Li-Ion. They're more expensive though and are generally used where quick cycle times (discharge > charge > discharge) are required, as they can be charged quite a bit quicker than Li-Ion.

I wouldn't have any qualms about using a quality Li-Ion starter pack from a safety perspective though. Li-Ion batteries are everywhere.

Interesting; I did read in the Yamaha manual that in emergency situations it was possible to pull start this 115hp Yamaha. Maybe I should source a rip cord and stow it in the glove box? So tell me, even if the battery is flat, with the ignition key switched to the "On" position, I rip cord will fire up the motor and will run it?
    Yes, do your normal start procedure but instead of turning the key to start pull the rope.
    Build some confidence, warm it up on the muffs then when it's happy & starts in an instant switch it off then turn the key to run and do the rope trick.
    After that it's only a matter of adding in the requirements for a cold start if you think you need to, choke, fast idle lever.
    2 stroke and 4 stroke have different ignition systems, 2 stroke makes it's own ignition power whereas 4 stroke relies on battery power for ignition.

Pull starting is not as hard as it seems, it's not a lot of fun, but certainly "doable" as mentioned, make sure the motor is ready to start, key on, manual choke on, (if it has one) fuel bulb primed, warm up lever up (if it requires doing so to start) make sure the rope is not too long, it only needs less than a full turn on the flywheel, it's amazing what strength a frightened person with a flat battery has! All that said, most motors these days have all sorts of covers on the motor, making it near impossible to even find the flywheel, let alone wrapping a rope around it. Even if the battery will not turn a motor over, it should still have adequate current to power the EFI system, old 2 strokes (and etecs) can/do supply their own power when pulled over. I reckon with a twin battery setup, the starter power pack gizmo would stay at home in the garage.