Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Skimming through last 4 weeks 3 facebook groups

Re: Skimming through last 4 weeks 3 facebook groups

Quote Originally Posted by lucku_Phill
    If we, as recreational fishers fish within the rules, then we are playing our part. What we don't do, is provide FQ with good data to input and achieve best results.

When are we going to fix this Phill? It was highlighted at the very first RRFF review that ended in debacle. Was deemed politically a non-starter. Even if it was App based. The number of older fishos that don’t use a smart phone these days is very small and getting smaller by the day. They could start it off with the concerned species like a Snapper and Pearl Perch and expand it once all the bugs are ironed out for other species.

Most recreational fishermen are respectful of the resource and just like game fishers were willing to pay to tag fish, if a free app was provided by FQ and QR code brag mats opened the app for you it wouldn’t be that big a hassle. Huge amounts of accurate data could be uploaded into FQ data bases in near real time.

we wouldn’t have to continue butting heads with mathematicians, most who don’t even fish, to tell us how many fish we are catching when they just extrapolate crap inputs from the start.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

A few years back there was a guy at Donnybrook ramp most days who approached returning fishos and asked if he could take details of their catch. He politely explained it was anonymous and for research. All results went to fisheries. I was amazed at how many refused because they believed he had ulterior motives and was looking to fine them. Sometimes we fishos are our own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    A few years back there was a guy at Donnybrook ramp most days who approached returning fishos and asked if he could take details of their catch. He politely explained it was anonymous and for research. All results went to fisheries. I was amazed at how many refused because they believed he had ulterior motives and was looking to fine them. Sometimes we fishos are our own worst enemy.
    There is a guy at Hervey Bay that does this, he is good for a chat and let you know if anyone else has been catching anything around the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Survey like some can and sometimes be interpreted by how you or one may want the outcome to be and this is how some feel about these people who approach you at some boatramps asking people regarding details of their catch.
    Dont worry me but have heard many who Refuse to answer or assist these people and must admit i too in the past have been guilty as i am abeliever of surveys being manipulated for an end result!!..

I have brought this up many times, we had groups of volunteers at every ramp, including lakes and rivers, some people just told them what they wanted to know, some just pulled their tin foil hat down tighter, some just told them where to go. I am fully aware that "data" can be used in many ways, but, that method is the only true indication of fish stocks to angler numbers.

Never trust the Government they always use it again you when you don't expect it, they did it with the professional fisherman they too were told that there logbook system would never ever be used against them and they did and that's why a lot of fishers give them nothing.

Sorry Karen .... i dont agree, but it's a free country so i suppose you can have a winge and get it off your chest. if there within the prescribed limits i'm ok with it.
    I actually thing the limits should be more, but that justs my opinion, you feel free to keep putting them back.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have brought this up many times, we had groups of volunteers at every ramp, including lakes and rivers, some people just told them what they wanted to know, some just pulled their tin foil hat down tighter, some just told them where to go. I am fully aware that "data" can be used in many ways, but, that method is the only true indication of fish stocks to angler numbers.
    I tell em where to go..... if anyone anywhere can tell the number we need to get to for an increase in limits , then i will give data but if it is a one way equation .....alway more restrictions ,,, well just take a walk mate i anit playing that game.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    I tell em where to go..... if anyone anywhere can tell the number we need to get to for an increase in limits , then i will give data but if it is a one way equation .....alway more restrictions ,,, well just take a walk mate i anit playing that game.

BigE
    while I don't disagree, how are those numbers going to be obtained unless someone/anyone/anywhere collects that data? and the only way to collect that rec data reliably is by actually "being there"! The volunteers at my ramps asked simple things, how far did you travel to fish, how many people fished, how long were you out, how many fish did you catch, did you buy bait, just things like that, and in a "real world" data like that could be used for good (and evil of course) but as it stands, all we have is guesses, estimates and anecdotal "evidence"

Here's something that would allow much better considered size and bag limits for king threadfin for DAF Qld to think about in their deliberations.

A lot of work has gone into gathering this info and making these predictions. Not one bit of it is reliant on Qld DAF input.

Testing of the predictions takes time so the effort was started about 10 years ago. Its called Crystal Bowl and its put together by InfoFish Services (Bill Sawynok).

Now its produced annually and predictions are tested annually against actual catches.

The info can be used by anybody who wants it and one also exists for barramundi.

Fisheries Qld was invited to take part in the project but failed to do so. Worried about impact on staff jobs maybe?

Here is one guy's small company making more accurate predictions by himself than ALL of the DAF scientific staff (and there are a lot of them).

They're still talking about bio-mass calculations based on "pre Captain Cook" days and estimating the current bio-mass (for setting bag limits and size limits) based on reductions over the years from commercial logbooks and recreational boat ramp surveys with the inherent error margins for logbook entries and reluctance by rec people to participate at boat ramp surveys.

Noah's Ark methodology.

Anyway. Have a look at what Crystal Bowl produces for king threadfin. Its also done for barramundi.

Its based on tagging records over the years (lots of years) and regular sampling surveys by castnet and sampling line catches along with tagging and recapture data.

Infofish Australia – Serving the Fishing Community

Attachment 123009

Anyway, see what you think.

This is why Crystal Bowl came about (from InfoFish website).

ANALYSE THE THINGS THAT MATTER

Almost all decisions in fisheries are made after a problem arises and years of data collection and analysis are completed. Frustrated by the lack of ability to identify and address problems before they became serious, Infofish decided to flip the way Analysis is done on its head. We call it Crystal Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    while I don't disagree, how are those numbers going to be obtained unless someone/anyone/anywhere collects that data? and the only way to collect that rec data reliably is by actually "being there"! The volunteers at my ramps asked simple things, how far did you travel to fish, how many people fished, how long were you out, how many fish did you catch, did you buy bait, just things like that, and in a "real world" data like that could be used for good (and evil of course) but as it stands, all we have is guesses, estimates and anecdotal "evidence"
    My issue with it is the data isn’t comprehensive enough. They do those surveys and then mathematicians get hold of the data years down the track and extrapolate. They do lovely things like assume that Snapper fishing effort and take is increasing 7% year on year because boat registrations went up by 7% and then use that data to tell us the biomass is 33% of the virgin etc etc.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

So a video pops up today spread right across facebook 2 people keeping 7 jewfish in NSW that appear 50-60cm

These fish are 1 per person over 70cm

People are outraged, multiple DPI Fishery tags

I was a bit racist as it seems the same people committing the crimes, i actuallyleft a group without being racist in the group but a good portion of the people 90% are one race which i wont mention, i was with the group from day one but chose to leave a majority are doing the right thing but it seems its always the same people and it infuriates me

Ya get a golden ticket to enter a beautiful country with a vast range of wild life and ya take and take its really sad

I even recall one guy with about 50 tiny fish including 15cm snappers spread right across his lawn this was two years ago and that same bloody bloke popped up with a boat for sale in my classified just yesterday and he was still proudly showing that profile picture