Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do these old 50hp yamaha 4 bangers go

Re: How do these old 50hp yamaha 4 bangers go

Hey Noel when i had a 50hp honda head welded the wall from the gallery into the combustion chamber was welded old mate that done it left a big blob of weld in the combustion section of the head and machined it flat, the guy i sold it to in NT said it worked great, the weld looked like a mig weld as it was die grinded from memory the bit showing below the face unless it was a large blob of tig molten aluminium but i am almost certain it was mig welded i was quoted $80 but charged $120 or $140

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    How would a little haines v133 like this handle the power of 50hp? Im not going to buy this boat just asking as im curious

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wyom...mpaign=socialb
    reckon the power delivery would be there but could be bum heavy , maybe pod it not sure but cleaned up with a fourstroke would sell easy enough , if the return of dollars was worth it

I got 1 quote $300 just to weld, bloke said it'll need new valve stem seals and valve seats cut than machined face... for that kind of dollar i can get a used head out of the usa

I will go see old mate that done my honda head

I may even give it a whirl my self, strip it bare, soda blast the face and all corrosion than place the head in a bbq and heat it to 70celcius than remove and mig weld while its warm
    i missed what had to be welded, but valves can be cleaned on a brass wheel, reseat the valves yourself with compound paste and sand the head on 12mm swimming pool glass fence panel , glue the sandpaper sheets down with aerosal glue , sand sand new gasket and assemble , buy new valve stem seals and replace.

I'll see if i can get another quote today for the head repair

That little HH V133 only have 30-35hp engines on them so was curious what it would go like with a 50hp on it

Got the head stripped valve and valve seats will need to be recut, the valves will need soda blasting, there is a bit of work to be done to this head

Adjusting the valves is going to be a job and a half, a complete second hand head is looking good.

Just went to see old mate i think he got the heads up from his brother and son from yesterday.. this bloke cleaned, welded and machined a honda 50hp head for $120 or $140, he just quoted me $380 to weld, $200 to machine and recut the valves and valve seats geez..

Hey Noel its a old school head with rockers it doesnt have valve shims or hydraulic lifters so setting the clearance would be very simple

Im going to keep an eye out on a second hand head maybe try get a fresh water head out of the USA

Just done a search theres agood 15-20 heads in the usa and canada ebay most cost about $400-$700 aud shipped i found a really nice fresh water head just sent off a msg

Just done a search theres agood 15-20 heads in the usa and canada ebay most cost about $400-$700 aud shipped i found a really nice fresh water head just sent off a msg
    You forgotten the french guy experience already?

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    You forgotten the french guy experience already?
    My anus has returned to its micro size after that frenchie...

I'll pick a seller with huge feedback and ask for close up pictures of the galleries

I wont be invest a lot, a wreckers in aus wants $2500 for a head so anything is better than that

Just wondering - dunno what you payed for this motor, but what’s your overall estimated budget to get it operational again?

Gunna whatever i snag a head for plus delivery plus a head gasket, i dont wanna get caught up with what its cost, what its worth etc.. as shit sticks to a wall and there are a few gremlins in this forum willing to throw it but i am very well off on this one

Gunna whatever i snag a head for plus delivery plus a head gasket, i dont wanna get caught up with what its cost, what its worth etc.. as shit sticks to a wall and there are a few gremlins in this forum willing to throw it but i am very well off on this one
    Well that’s sorta the point of my question. I’ve been browsing the classifieds and there seems to be some pretty good motors out there for around the 3K mark. I was thinking that after all your bits and pieces and sourcing a new head, plus the original cost, that there wouldn’t be a huge difference? I guess in some ways it’s similar to how the trailer costs blew out when it came down to the nitty gritty.

Might be prudent to check the lower end too, just in case it's been submerged and only just had some new oil put in it, is there any way to inspect the internals on that model without pulling it to bits?

Gunna just what the bloke said and what i have seen online its a 4.5k engine in summer but realistically its more around 3-3.5k value, if i didnt have a hard time with a few on here i would have no problem undisclosing the purchase price but peoplego out of there way..