Thread: 9" trailer tyres

9" trailer tyres

Hi everybody,

My name is John. I am new to the forum and boating in general. I've recently bought a small used aluminium boat. It came with an old trailer.

The tyres on the trailer are 6.9 / 6.0, 9 inch. The rubber has small cracks. So for safety reasons I need to replace the tyres.

My first attempt was to call several local car tyre shops to ask if they have the replacement tyres. None of them works with this size. Furthermore they will not fit tyres if I bring my own because their tools are not good for 9". They redirected me to lawn mower shops. I called one of them and they don't provide such services as well. I called a trailer repair service and a boat dealer. No luck so far.

For now the only option for me is to order the tyres, tubes and possibly rims and fit them myself. I have replaced wheels numerous times but I've never replaced tyres. I've seen how it's done with a pry bar and soap. I watched a few google videos about fitting tyres on rims. I will need to use tubes as recommended.

I would appreciate if you could help me with these questions.

Is it very easy and done at home more often than not?

Do you think 9" is very unusual size and the reason why the professionals do not want to deal with the tyres?

The rims look rusty. When I inflated one of the tyres first time after purchase, some water came out. I assume it was stuck there between the tube and the rim. Do you think I should replace rims as well? I found the complete set: rim, tyre and tube on ebay for 200$

Re: 9" trailer tyres

600X9 is a very common trailer size, any decent tyre shop should be able to get them next day if they don't have them in stock, the rim will fit the tyre changing machine, had mine done lots of times, nothing to do with lawn mowers.

just a bit curious, you mention they look rusty. I haven't seen that size boat rim in steel, so if they are proper marine wheels, they should be alloy!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    just a bit curious, you mention they look rusty. I haven't seen that size boat rim in steel, so if they are proper marine wheels, they should be alloy!
    Yes, didn't pick that up, those wheels were all alloy, made by Velox engineering in Sydney in Holden stud pattern only, are you sure they are 600X9?

I think I misled everyone. They are not rusty. The only thing that has rust on it is the thread on which the wheel nut is on. It's a different component. Probably the wheel hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    600X9 is a very common trailer size, any decent tyre shop should be able to get them next day if they don't have them in stock, the rim will fit the tyre changing machine, had mine done lots of times, nothing to do with lawn mowers.
    My selection of businesses was not best. I called JAX Tyres, Tyreright, Bob Jane T-Mart, Bridgestone select and Kmart Tyre and a few others. Those shops come up first on Google. I will try my luck with smaller shops.

Hey Port those big shops ajax, bob jane etc dont deal with less than 13 inch tyres

Its really had to find anyone willing to change a 9inch tyre because its a hands on tyre change the shops are you to using tyre machines they either dont want the extra labour or there machines cannot machine a 9 inch radius rim possibly the little buckle that turns is to big for a 9 inch rim/bead

You can change them your self just like a push bike tyre it will be no where near as simple tho as a push bike tyre is like 1-2 ply those little 6.00-9 tyres are 5 or 6 ply and very stiff, i have changed a fair vew motor bike tyres both road and motocross hard compound and refuse to do it these days they are an absolute shit job and i sometimes tear the bead

When u change these little 9 inch tyres your self you will need to break the bead on both sides, since working on remove bead on side A of the tyre u need to opiside end of side A so sit right in the center of the rim this gives the bead the maximuim overall stretch to fit the other end of bead A over the rim lip

Once u have one side of the bead pulled over the outside lip of the rim u do the same to the other side so technically the complete rim is inside the tyre than u pop the rim out one side of the tyre

Do without dish washing liquid buy the proper rim grease for motorcycle tyres i tend to find the water mixed with dish washing liquid "sticks" when the rubber bites on the rim

I may have to change 4 of these tyres shortly and im not looking forward to it

You can get the tyres from Tyroola cheap

You can alternatively get these 10 inch complete wheels they have a lesser rating 6.00-9" are rated 504kg per tyre these 4.8-4.0-10" are rated 473kg per tyre

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Galva...wAAOSwJaxcLueV

I just checked the latest prices on those 6.00-9" tyres $85-$121 bloody forget that

The 6.00-9 velox rims have zero offset, those 10inch wheels on ebay are zero offset multi stud buy those and forget going back to the 9 inch wheels

9inch tyres $85-$121
    Complete 10inch wheel $85

Its a no brainer

Have a look on here. Should get what you want.

https://www.trailersparesonline.com....eels-and-tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

To follow up, I bought the multi standard wheels 4.8-4.0-10" from your link, Gazza. I received the wheels 3 days after I purchased them from ebay. The tyres come fitted on the rims so it's very easy to replace the entire thing. If I found a tyre shop working with 9" tyres, I would have paid for their tyres and work. It would be more expensive. I am lucky nobody took the job. Thanks for the help, guys.

Portjackson im glad the wheels fit for u, i may be headed down this path too with my trailer if i have to change tyres