Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mullet fillets

Mullet fillets

Anybody know where you could buy fresh mullet fillets around Bulcock Beach Caloundra would they have them at the fish market shop there

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Mullet fillets

Most shops will have them, but not cheap this time of the year.

Fresh seafood market at Mooloolaba would have them in bulk or woolies but would be best to salt them down to get them firm for fishing IMO
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Best is caught if u can catch them as goes with all bait when u shop from a tackle store its mostly snap frozen at sea

If u buy from fish markets they put the bait on fresh water ice

It really does make a difference but seafood store bait still catches fish

The guys in sydney are very fussy especially with fresh squid off the trawler the tackle shops pick it up by the tub and place plastic over the top than fresh water ice on top of the plastic

For me all my fresh caugh bait goes into zip lock bags than into the freezer doesnt touch ice

Funny, Mullet fillets for bait is a very QLD thing, very few in NSW use it, even though it readily available, it's OK for drifting for Flathead because it's pretty tough, but most common bait would be Pilchards, Tuna or small bait fish (Yellowtail or Slimies) Squid (unless live) is a pretty useless bait down this way, even though every servo has it for sale., and every second tourist type fisho buys it.

Sheik try Caloundra Seafoods opposite the caravan park otherwise you'll need to possibly go to Mooloolaba. I don't like the supermarket variety as they look too pink to me which means they've been treated.
    Noelem, fresh mullet is great when chasing Grassies and many other reefies off shore or even bread and butter fish inshore.

Yeah I know Mullet works, I use it all the time when I visit my mate in Caloundra, but never use it here, we'll rarely anyway, and I can get a reasonable amount of Mullet most of the time.

Thanks for the replies. Will pass details on

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yeah I know Mullet works, I use it all the time when I visit my mate in Caloundra, but never use it here, we'll rarely anyway, and I can get a reasonable amount of Mullet most of the time.
    thats an interesting one Noel. Mullet fillets are the go to bait for those that struggle to catch livies in the estuaries up here. They probably account for most Jack/Barra catches on bait when livies can’t be found.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    thats an interesting one Noel. Mullet fillets are the go to bait for those that struggle to catch livies in the estuaries up here. They probably account for most Jack/Barra catches on bait when livies can’t be found.
    Yeah I know, but for some reason, it's pretty well down the list here, I have used it hundreds of times for Snapper, but Tuna or Pilchards will outfish it 50-1 here, don't know why, Flathead drifters use it a bit.

Pilchards and california squid are the best baits pilchards u get a huge 2kg bag cheap and it usually last all day

I havent used mullet in along time the skin is what keeps it on the hook

I tried salting pillies before but never works as good

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yeah I know, but for some reason, it's pretty well down the list here, I have used it hundreds of times for Snapper, but Tuna or Pilchards will outfish it 50-1 here, don't know why, Flathead drifters use it a bit.
    ah yes, off shore for snapper I won’t buy mullet. But have been successful with it when I’ve had it as left overs from previous in shore trips. In shore though....
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Mullet fillets

The BEST pilchards are from Leisure Coast Bait & Tackle at Corrimal. Luke puts them in a brine and they hold together really well and last for along time

He did explain to me how he did it, but as age goes I have forgotten

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

You do know so called "fresh bait" prawns, pilchards, small squid are just thawed out frozen bait from there freezers

A few sydney shops are getting there bait strait off the trawlers but the price reflects this $35-$36 a kilo for fresh off the boat hawkesbury squid

The bait and tackle shop at lakes entrance was seen thawing out bags of frozen prawns from the freezer in a bucket than pouring them into the stainless steel fresh bait trays

Blog Entries

Drop in and see Jaron at Caloundra Fishing World they may have some. Addy is - 7/8 Tay Ave, Caloundra QLD 4551