Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mullet fillets

Re: Mullet fillets

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You do know so called "fresh bait" prawns, pilchards, small squid are just thawed out frozen bait from there freezers

A few sydney shops are getting there bait strait off the trawlers but the price reflects this $35-$36 a kilo for fresh off the boat hawkesbury squid

The bait and tackle shop at lakes entrance was seen thawing out bags of frozen prawns from the freezer in a bucket than pouring them into the stainless steel fresh bait trays
    Careful what you say without proof Gazza. A bloke who said things about a young lady on Facebook was recently found guilty of saying things that were not factually true, and had to pay $125,000.

Just saying, you never know who is reading

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Careful what you say without proof Gazza. A bloke who said things about a young lady on Facebook was recently found guilty of saying things that were not factually true, and had to pay $125,000.

Just saying, you never know who is reading

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast
    Thanks Shakey but they do it daily in front of the customers in clear view

I’m interested to hear who is paying $35 a kilo for fresh squid. For dinner or bait.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Anybody know where you could buy fresh mullet fillets around Bulcock Beach Caloundra would they have them at the fish market shop there

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app
    We ended up with frozen fillets from the Caloundra Seafood for yesterdays trip as the local mullet run this year finished months ago with a whimper, never seen it so bad.
    Fishing was slow yesterday and surprisingly the only fish we caught were generally on the mullet. The other baits, slimmies, yakkas, pillies and squid caught mostly rubbish fish.
    Jigs and SP's didn't get a single hit. Hate fishing the quarter moon, should have gone deep .

My mat at Caloundra had a fish the other day and told me he got bigger all too, tried along Bribie at something like Coffee Rocks, then out deep to some other spot, all for a just legal Parrot.

People have been cleaning up in nsw i have seen 3 or 4 flathead reports and there has to be close to 70-80 fish taking f..... shits mepeople taking so many fish its the guys that go out weekly that catch and release and these one dayer bandits take everything

Whilst we are on a bait thread, has anyone seen the mid sized sabiki jigs for squid about?
    They have a small prawn about 40mm long with a small squid crown of 4 spikes instead of a single hook.
    Last I saw these was about 15 years ago and were fantastic over the weed beds for small live bait squid.
    Jack.

We dont use the fillets up here but Poddies and Gar are my favourite Barra baits....and jacks dont mind them either..

Now that my boy has left home I need to improve my cast net skills...he was a great baitcatcher..

Yeah just my brothe r ris hoping the kids catch something on the boardwalk at Bulcock...they get by on carp,cod and yellowbelly but as you know that can be hit and miss with hours of nothing, whereas with some fleshbait there are sure to be some pickers around Caloundra. IME the mllet lasts a bit longer on the hook. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    We dont use the fillets up here but Poddies and Gar are my favourite Barra baits....and jacks dont mind them either..

Now that my boy has left home I need to improve my cast net skills...he was a great baitcatcher..
    Are you getting the Gar as incidental bycatch chasing poddies or targeting them in numbers? There’s not much that won’t attack a gar, one of the best Baits around if you can get them.

Another really good bait is stinky pike, jewfish love it

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Are you getting the Gar as incidental bycatch chasing poddies or targeting them in numbers? There’s not much that won’t attack a gar, one of the best Baits around if you can get them.
    Yes I agree mate...the Gar are plentiful up here..and we catch most of our Barra on them..even dead they are the best bait.

Its more like the poddies are bycatch as the Gar are more prolific where we are netting at Macushla on Hinchinbrook island and often school in good numbers.....its good to get some poddies as well though as they can be kept alive easier ..also in the mix are sardines and hardyheads which are a good bait as well for both estuary and reef...trout really like the sardines....

Up until a year or so back we would sometimes use a 50 ft drag net but the crocs are getting a bit thick in Missionary bay so now we just use a cast net.....very much missing the boy now he is at Uni..he would just persevere even when the pickings were slim until he got enough for the session..

Damn now I'm getting itchy feet..cant wait for February the 1st to come around...

Are you guys down south able to find consistent bait..?

sean casting.jpg

Between Christmas and new year I did a short trip in the creeks inside Fraser/Sandy Straights. My go to method of loading up on winter whiting was a painful experience. Hard to find and really small when we found them. Others that picked their timings by heading straight up the skinny creeks on a rising tide managed to find poddies. Fishing was slow on the big moons

Nice bit of moderating there.

Yup, gooone!!! :-) Put me popcorn away.