Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 2005 Etec 50hp, 200 hours, anything to be concerned about?

Used 2005 Etec 50hp, 200 hours, anything to be concerned about?

I had FICHT on my Seafarer Ventura, but there were major issues with many blowing up.

Do the ETECS have any similar issues to be concerned about? I think I read something about seals or something, but Evinrude fixed or replaced any that this occurs too, not certain though.

Are they hard to DIY service? Im use to servicing my Yammy 50hp 3cyl 2 stroke.......

Re: Used 2005 Etec 50hp, 200 hours, anything to be concerned about?

The FICHTs weren’t great, but the E-tecs are definitely much much better.
    I had a 2006 60hp (possibly same engine, different tune?) and didn’t have any issues at all with it.
    Had a few mates with them, and only one had an impeller go bad (on a 130 H.O.) which was an easy fix.
    With no oil to drop, servicing them should be pretty straight forward.
    Has it got good service records?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    The FICHTs weren’t great, but the E-tecs are definitely much much better.
    I had a 2006 60hp (possibly same engine, different tune?) and didn’t have any issues at all with it.
    Had a few mates with them, and only one had an impeller go bad (on a 130 H.O.) which was an easy fix.
    With no oil to drop, servicing them should be pretty straight forward.
    Has it got good service records?
    Yep and was just serviced. I do remember something goes wrong with some, darn brain fog.

its only a 2 cylinder 850cc engine
    mates one was not smooth at any point of the rev range compared to my Yamaha 4 stroke or any 4 stroke ive operated

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'd be concerned about an average of 13 hours per year over 15 years, it's done a lot of sitting around.

An e-tec is not exactly a DIY engine, water pump and gear oil, no problem, they are all the same, plugs need to be indexed (not a huge deal) but that's about where DIY ends, they are an OK engine, plenty of happy owners out there, but plenty of not so joyful owners too, they seem to be a mixed bag, the good ones are great, the troublesome ones are just that, troublesome, not too easy to find someone who knows them well either, plenty can tinker with them, but few are great.

I often look at outboards and very rarely see the smaller etecs blown or wrecking its usually the 90hp models and up, i see quiet a few 115hp that grenade

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had the same 2005 Yammie 100 on my Haines Hunter 520 prowler. Great Donk with no issues.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I often look at outboards and very rarely see the smaller etecs blown or wrecking its usually the 90hp models and up, i see quiet a few 115hp that grenade
    Thanks mate, good to hear one positive feedback.

Yeah all, Yammies are great, have the 50 3cyl, easy as to service and massive hole shot. But this is a 50hp Etec, so not really loooking for yammy reviews, I cant change what the guy has on the boat Im looking at, it is what it is. Either its a goof engine or its not.

I got the hours wrong, its done ~20hours per annum, but Id say yes some years being a holiday home boat it has sat around, but that is fairly normal for any owner, winter here is pretty blah ! It has been start up every so often though and flushed through for a while, so nothing is sitting around gunking up. Has had full service history and last service 1 hour ago.

Interesting that it sounds like they not easy to work on, but if just the normal service stuff is DIY then thats fine by me.

Personally my choice would be Honda as they are way more economical on fuel than other 4s, but the yamaha 4s are the most bullet proof imo, so it would be one of those two if i could choose. but i cant.

With the etec u can winterizeit by using the key and forward controls or by the software u can buy and do it by the laptop pretty snazzy stuff that software

Unless you live way up in the Snowy mountains, or down the South Pole, the winterising feature is a non event here.

So generally speaking what goes wrong with Etecs? It is the injectors correct?

If it has been serviced over its 300hours yearly, is buying a used one really really risky?

They are near $11-12k new (cheaper on special), wondering what a used one would be worth?

Do you realize that BRP has stopped making the Etec..?

Its inevitable that parts will become harder to source and I doubt there will be any more factory training so finding good technicians to work on them will become more difficult...

You would want to be getting it dirt cheap because of potential headaches down the track...

To be honest I dont know why anyone would even bother...

IMO a good local mechanic and assured parts availability is one one of the most important factors when buying a motor...

and yeah most issues were injector and gearbox problems with occasional blown heads....I had to replace a oil pump and 2 EMMs on my 2005 model at $2K apiece over the course of less then 800 hours use...

Quote Originally Posted by GlobbyGuts View Post
    So generally speaking what goes wrong with Etecs? It is the injectors correct?

If it has been serviced over its 300hours yearly, is buying a used one really really risky?

They are near $11-12k new (cheaper on special), wondering what a used one would be worth?
    I dont think warranty would be a problem on a new engine BRP dropped the Evinrude line but BRP is still in business that i know of so any yhing unrepairable and unreplaceable under warranty would probably be paid out

A lot of guys go new just for warranties than trade the engines in after the warranty is up

I wouldnt pay any where near 11-12k for a 50hp they only sell for 6-7k possibly 8k

If your looking a bit bigger Tohatsu make a injected 2 stroke 90-115hp

Anything 2 stroke will be second hand now, for me, Optimax is out of the question, HPDI Yamaha, is a maybe, same for an e-tec, flip a coin, if the boat is exactly what I wanted, and the price was right, maybe, Tohatsu are a mixed bag too, similarly, if the deal was red hot...maybe, but for me, it's an EFI 4 stroke every day of the week, or an old fashioned 2 stroke if I was desperate.