Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercury 225 Pro XS vs Mercury 225 FourStroke for 6.5m Glass CC

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Mercury 225 Pro XS vs Mercury 225 FourStroke for 6.5m Glass CC

Maybe I'm making an assumption, as the earlier Pro XS models, such as the Opti's were good for 10% more HP than the same rating with the regular Opti, for example. A 200 Yamaha four stroke is good for 42 knots on a Reefrunner, with a 250 Opti Pro XS was a 47 knot boat. The regular Opti 200 pushed the same hull to 44 knots. The numbers were backed up by dyno figures.

I know jack all, but a 23 foot boat is quiet a big boat unless its a boat like a ponga, if its adeep v hull wouldnt u want to know your not laboring the engine going the v6? The v8 should stand out its like the roles royce power and class v6 225hp v8 225hp i would pick the bigger cubic inch just the torque should speak for its self

If the boat is a ponga anything will move that

Interested to know what kind of hull it is tho

Ausfish Bronze Member

I ended up committing to the 225 V6 Merc, for a Hooker 650 Pro Fisherman. I don't think a Pro XS is suitable for my needs (long distance, lighter hull), but they are one hell of an engine! The V6 is seeing some amazing figures in economy, speeds, quietness and reliability. I have been very lucky to briefly jump on board a pro boat running a pair of V6 225s that have just reached 1,100hours and the skipper is more than impressed upgrading from a problematic, heavier and thirstier pair of Yamaha 225s. His expenses, including servicing and fuel has dropped considerably. Not sure if it is just the Yam 225s, because generally I hear good things about yammy in most HPs. I have seen another pro boat kicking around Palm Cove with a pair of Pro Xs's and I would love to hear his thoughts on them too, out of curiosity. Not sure if anyone on here might know the vessel or the skipper?

Thanks for all of your input.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Update, I'm absolutely loving the V6 225, has gone well and truly above expectations. Highly recommend,

Ausfish Platinum Member

Good to hear. One powerball and there'll be one on the Reefrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by Toygut View Post
    Update, I'm absolutely loving the V6 225, has gone well and truly above expectations. Highly recommend,
    They are awesome aren't they! Post up some performance figures if you can. Did you get the Vessel View touch screen display?