Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

Has anyone imported a Formula 233 from the US or inquired about it, hull weighs 1750kg + 250kg engine + trailer 500kg + fuel 200L

2700kg GVM a V8 commodore can tow that i think my Ford-able V8 with upgraded heavy duty towbar is only good for 2200kg

Interested to hear some replies even if its a logistic nightmare or if u were slugged a bag of pennies more once it was landed, fire away

Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

Oh NO 🤪🤪🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Re: Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

If you do you sums, you can import a boat from the US, but there is pitfalls, the exchange rate at the moment makes it expensive, the trailer will not comply to Aus laws, and if you think a Falcon will tow a 233 you're kidding yourself, it will certainly tow it, and it might even be technically legal, however, that's where it ends.

Trailer is more like 700kg and fuel would be at least 300L also what about batteries safety gear esky fishing gear etc it all adds up. Wouldn’t go less than 300hp on a 233. I would add at least 200kg to your estimate gaz

wrong. commodores have irs. tow less. 1600kg.

Ausfish Platinum Member

yes, what they said, gazza.^^^^ I don't think you would be under 2.5 tonnes on a trailer. My Reefrunner has a hull weight of 1050kg, according to Caribbean. But it weighs gross 2550kg with a half-full tank and only average gear on board, on the trailer ( which is 680kg) And yes, they need a lot of HP to drive, they are very deep-vee'd. A brilliant hull in their basic form, for their original intent ( ie, a head on hero, go fast) but, that said, there was a reason that a lot of people modified the original design. Mind you, some of those mods made them worse in some aspects, not better.

There is some very cheap boats in the US if you want to search around, but, right now, I wouldn't even think about importing, currently our dollar is less than .80 US, so that adds 20% before you do anything, add to that shipping (15,000 roughly) delays because of Covid, trailer dramas once it lands here, you can't tow it home, you have to either have an alternate trailer, use a flat bed, or "fix" the trailer onsite, which a lot of docks take a very dim view of...then there is the possibility of quarantine insisting on "cleaning" it (at your expense) the possibility of some "big cheese" in charge might like to go over everything to make sure you are not dodging some "duty" GST or something else (at your expense" it's not just as simple as buying and "sitting on the dock of the bay" waiting for your boat to turn up. There's a lot to be said for paying a transport company to do the lot for you (at your added expense)

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    wrong. commodores have irs. tow less. 1600kg.
    Sorry but that's wrong also. Both Commodores and Falcons have IRS like all passenger cars, except the Falcon utes which were leaf sprung. Later model auto commodores will do 2 tonnes, manuals a bit less, auto Falcons were 2.3 tonnes.

You wouldn't want to actually tow that much though. Particularly not on a slippery boat ramp with rear drive.

Cheers for the replies guys it sounds like a bitof a nightmare to import andi guess if u use a company to do all the work they'll charge accordingly

I looked on gumtree 2x 80k boats 1 at 20k from memory they seem hard to come by in aus but are not worth much in the usa some as little as 2k to 8k

Would a Jeep 4.7L tow a F233 or wouldone need some kind of small truck?

If you are going to ship a container, the idea is to import two in the container then sell one at a profit. Covers all the shipping costs.

Gunna thats a gun idea but how do u fit anything other than one F233 in a container they are a huge hull

Why the sudden interest in a 233?

Just a better riding bigger boat Noel i have always wondered about my v19 hull with the bow being not so deep but not so shallow either, the F233 has a huge hull depth the ride offshore issuppose to be spectacular

When i go fishing i often fish weather just like in this video

Fell in love with how these things ride look how smooth that is chopping the swell and chop

You’re able to stump up the money for one of them?