Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

Re: Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    i would get a unregistered vehicle permit and toss on a 2" tow ball and my light board and tow it home
    A few years back this was totally unachievable. It had to go out on a tilt tray by blokes who are accredited to work in the wharf area. More hidden costs.

There is plenty of good info on this site and yes I'm an ####### but all of it will suggest you can't afford this. Find the thread that has how many hundred per day it costs if it gets caught up in unplanned inspections, fumigation or until someone approved can truck it out.

I was under the assumption using a shipping company specifically for the porpous is a roll on roll off deal

Where i get someone likely uship to pick up the boat and tow it to the shipping companies yard where they put it in a container and do all the importing, fumigation, taxes, dutys, paper work etc.. than i just show up to tow it home

Using a tow truck for a F233 is that even possibly? Tow trucks wouldnt even touch my V19 because the trailer is 2200-2300mm wide plus the tow from port kembla to me is a 1 hour tow thats gotta be a $500 tow

Need a over width permit as all yank trailers are oversized here

No any handling paper work delays all come back to you and it can add up quickly

Roll on roll off is for a moving vehicle this will be containerised freight and you have unloading costs

I calculated 18 sheets of 25mm plywood are needed just to make the 4 stringers alone @ 50mm thick 600mm tall holly molly i just checked the local bloke is not doing 25mm plywood anymore so the price has gone from $90 a sheet to $171 thats almost $3100 on stringer plywood alone ####!

No bulkheads no floor and no transom and no glassing supplies

Say 6 sheets for the floor another 4 sheets for bulkheads thats another $1710, close to $5000 in plywood

Works out about 290 square meters of area to be glassed x 2 layers just under 600 square meters of cloth will require more than 300 litres of resin that worksout about 5k in resin

It'll likely cost around 15k to rebuild the hull, 5k-6k to buy and import the hull, 10k engine

Total 30k thats alot of money

Plus you need to buy a aus complaint trailer
    Seats wiring screen console t top all depending on the layout decided
    Paint job
    Live wells and plumbing

I erred in the lower side you could sink way more then 50 into this to make it modern and usable

There's lots of pitfalls when importing, some go smooth as silk, some get caught up and the cost skyrockets, no transport company is going to pay anyone anything, you the owner pays, they just handle the "doings" at their end, once it's off the ship, sitting on the dock, it's your problem, anything incurred from then on comes out of your pocket, unless you pay for some kind of "door to door" deal, which is not cheap. There's stories around (some just myth) but some true about boats on trailers not allowed to be towed unless the trailer complies to Aus standards (almost all don't) Just buying a boat unseen is a risk, rebuilding it is no 5 minute job, as you have found out, it's also not a few grand job either.

I presume you were doing up the V19 as a bit of an income earner. Whatever you sell it for, over and above what you spent, is your income???

There is, (or at least there was) a bloke selling plans for boats from 12 footers to 30 footers. Might be an easier way to make some $$$, selling a built boat, rather than repairing someone elses wreck.

Good luck with whatever you going with.

Hey Noel yeah i understand i will pay all the cost what i meant was the shipping companys have "packages" where they will include all the usual cost to land the boat at the port, open container than its on my hands

Hey Bremac it was never about making financial gains actually i doubt i would make anything even on the Caribbean im 8n that 16k and thats about what its worth imo, the whole deal was about building a offshore boat at a budget i could afford asi couldnt place 16k upfront for a boat purchase as i suck at saving

I really want that racing pedigree F233 but this Corsair is avaliable locally i have no idea about the boat wether its good or shit 22ft it would make a good hardtop conversion it has been listed for a couple of months now

Still waiting for quotes, would it be alogistical nightmare getting a 233 without atrailer?

There are these two near florida the one with the ass cut out $200, the blue one $800 both no trailers

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I really want that racing pedigree F233
    But why? Because someone on Youtube said so? If they are the super duper best ever why are they lying in a paddock with their arse cut out?

Get your project done and go fishing

Matt

Hey Matt my boat will see lots of fishing, if i got a F233 it will take me 3-5 years to rebuild it so my current boat will get a workout but another project is something to stimulate the mind and keep my depression low

So the 223 is for when you are living in outback SA

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

From the stress you have from the current build I don’t see how something 2-3 times as big in terms of effort and cost is going to help

The 16k you have spent could have brought you a brand new 4.2m package perfect for botany Hawkesbury the harbour and just done charters for offshore

Use time on the water as therapy and not sweating in the backyard worrying about Covid arriving in packages

I had a 23 foot Haines and using it used every dollar I had and had to sell it as kids came along then house purchase
    I don’t see the fascination it rode well but was vomit inducing for many of my mates

Was heavy to tow and used a Range Rover and heavy on fuel even with four strokes it’s still not going to be a 100liter fishing day

Your going to need a modern decent car to tow it legally and reliably

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    I had a 23 foot Haines and using it used every dollar I had and had to sell it as kids came along then house purchase
    I don’t see the fascination it rode well but was vomit inducing for many of my mates

Was heavy to tow and used a Range Rover and heavy on fuel even with four strokes it’s still not going to be a 100liter fishing day

Your going to need a modern decent car to tow it legally and reliably
    Here's one ready to go with no timber in it for less then it would cost to import, do up and buy a decent motor and trailer for it.....

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...-6361762/?Cr=0

Never been in one myself but I'd beleive Steve, that despite the legendary ride, she would rock around a bit at rest with a 27 degree hull..!

I imagine it would be handy in outback SA for being first to arrive at the Murray Cod spots...