Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

Re: Has anyone inquired/imported a Formula 233?

Thanks Cat

I keep seeing this boat thinking dam do i? Love the look of it it has been out of registration for 14 years needs lots of work, its a 6 meter boat according to registration

Pod it with 2x 150hp 1990 era Mercury's for shits and giggles... thing would friggen fly

no offense gazza even though you probably will take offense

as you tell us your struggling to financially and physically finish a smaller boat, why would you even contemplate another larger one.
    fair enough you finish it, the on going running costs are horrendous for such a large boat both in extra rego costs for trailer and the heavier tow vehicle size and running servicing costs of both that bigger car and boat
    they arnt $100 per day fishing trips in big boats like these especially with old 2 strokes

i moved 5 hours from the coast so went smaller in boat size but even if i was back in sydney id rather pay for a charter than the hassle of dealing with such a large boat
    and with all your safety worries would you go offshore with 30 year old 2 strokes

Hey Steve at the beginning of the buildi borrowed close to 10k to sink into the build that money ran out pretty quickly i think 9 months from memory in 4 weeks i will only owe 1k so im almost a free man, my main struggle was trying to repay aloan + pay half of all my house billsand living expenses it hasnt been easy thats for sure but i budget hard i dont leave the house... i dont gamble and i dont drink alcohol nor do i do drugs i also dont have kids so financially im ok

The struggle post u see are when rego comes in, gas bill, electricity bill, other finance bills, and than a curve ball on top a vet bill or something like it

I dont have savings but every penny i can pinch from my wallet goes into the boat, alot of the time i dont eat correctly i definatly dont eat 3 meals a day and im 95kg

As for a days fishing i cant stand fishing by my self i last 1 hour and go home but if planned i have 2 good mates and 2 close cousins that go fishing we buy our own tackle but split the days cost for fuel and bait

Just me if it were on my shoulders i wouldnt have a problem forking out $120 for fuel once a month to head out but i dont fish alone

Dont be mistakin thinking i live a lavish life style.. i wear 2-4 year old clothes i wear the same tatty shoes for 2 or more years, all my cloths are big w, kmart cheap shit that i get for christmas and birthday pressents as i feel too uncomfortable to go shopping for my self

I dont get any extra money than anyone else on the pension i just budget, afterpay has been a blessing 4 payments over 8 weeks is how i over come most hurdles with buying stuff like the resin and cloths..

Besides the close to 10k soon to be 1k debt i have zippay which i have sunk 1.4k into the boat

It may appear im rolling in money but that is not true its usually stored in my wheel barrow...

I have learnt from some mistakes with my current boat motor trailer project and that is i over capatilised on the project

The epoxy resin wasnt needed, the aluminium trailer wasnt needed it all blew out of preportion and i've had to keep on continouing its a bugger

If i were to do it again i could do the whole b/m/t for 5-6k on the water

I need to finish pathing the way for my current project but i can see my self in the future building a 6m hull twin 90hp/140hp/150hp super fast center console

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I have learnt from some mistakes with my current boat motor trailer project and that is i over capatilised on the project

The epoxy resin wasnt needed, the aluminium trailer wasnt needed it all blew out of preportion and i've had to keep on continouing its a bugger

If i were to do it again i could do the whole b/m/t for 5-6k on the water

I need to finish pathing the way for my current project but i can see my self in the future building a 6m hull twin 90hp/140hp/150hp super fast center console
    Not to be a grinch this close to Christmas but yeah nah on your 5-6k budget.

Even with the examples you have given the 2 outboards plus the trailer are almost half your budget. You still need a hull. Say you magic one from the US for 2k and it arrives free shipping. You now have $750 to do the build. If you did some more realistic planning you may avoid the emotional rollercoaster with your current rebuild. You can't do a complete rebuild on a classic hull "on the cheap" unless you are in the industry otherwise there would be a 580slf in a shed in central Queensland being rebuilt as we speak

Mayy

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Not to be a grinch this close to Christmas but yeah nah on your 5-6k budget.

Even with the examples you have given the 2 outboards plus the trailer are almost half your budget. You still need a hull. Say you magic one from the US for 2k and it arrives free shipping. You now have $750 to do the build. If you did some more realistic planning you may avoid the emotional rollercoaster with your current rebuild. You can't do a complete rebuild on a classic hull "on the cheap" unless you are in the industry otherwise there would be a 580slf in a shed in central Queensland being rebuilt as we speak

Mayy
    We'll drink more than $750 worth of piss cutting it up.

Nor would I bolt a 40 year old Merc on the back of anything.

Realism.........this thread has none of it.

I donno, that hull i posted the seller only wants $100 for it, the most cost for my hull only has been 2k in epoxy resin and a lot of money on the fibreglass cloth

In total it does take quiet abit of coin to piece everything together, i took so many wrong paths and way over spent on my current build just about the only thing i havent over spent was the engine, the trailer i have 2 sets of axles 1 destined to give away, i paid $1000 for the rubbish trailer the hull is on, i over spent on 75mm U boolts originally for the cross members, i bought a cable kit for the original mechanical brake design, this aluminium trailer really sunk me a gooden and it was all my own mistakes

The hull has been ok i only messed up the plywood transom but that did cost me $1000 screw up all due to a cheap tarp not fit for use

Now i almost have this build up my sleeve i can do things a lot better next time i know how to cut cost, reuse left over material, use a cheaper resin after the resin i have now is used i have used 120 litres if that was polyester it would have been less than half the cost of the epoxy

The twin outboard idea would be very simple match up two old girls johnson/evinrude 90hp 115hp 140hp twins those engines only sell for 1k probably snag both seperate very cheap the two stroke market this summer has absolutely plumetted there is no real value in old tech take a look on the facebook classifieds engines going for a few hundred bux everywhere

One big thing i never factored in was buying in bulk, the cloth has cost me dearly a full roll of double bias is about 110 meters $600 right through the build i have bought it by the meter at $10-$12 so another build just needs abit more planning and working out

When i built the pod i bought polyester resin

Polyester 20 litres $175
    Epoxy 24 litres $420

I donno, that hull i posted the seller only wants $100 for it, the most cost for my hull only has been 2k in epoxy resin and a lot of money on the fibreglass cloth

In total it does take quiet abit of coin to piece everything together, i took so many wrong paths and way over spent on my current build just about the only thing i havent over spent was the engine, the trailer i have 2 sets of axles 1 destined to give away, i paid $1000 for the rubbish trailer the hull is on, i over spent on 75mm U boolts originally for the cross members, i bought a cable kit for the original mechanical brake design, this aluminium trailer really sunk me a gooden and it was all my own mistakes

The hull has been ok i only messed up the plywood transom but that did cost me $1000 screw up all due to a cheap tarp not fit for use

Now i almost have this build up my sleeve i can do things a lot better next time i know how to cut cost, reuse left over material, use a cheaper resin after the resin i have now is used i have used 120 litres if that was polyester it would have been less than half the cost of the epoxy

The twin outboard idea would be very simple match up two old girls johnson/evinrude 90hp 115hp 140hp twins those engines only sell for 1k probably snag both seperate very cheap the two stroke market this summer has absolutely plumetted there is no real value in old tech take a look on the facebook classifieds engines going for a few hundred bux everywhere

One big thing i never factored in was buying in bulk, the cloth has cost me dearly a full roll of double bias is about 110 meters $600 right through the build i have bought it by the meter at $10-$12 so another build just needs abit more planning and working out

When i built the pod i bought polyester resin

Polyester 20 litres $175
    Epoxy 24 litres $420
    OK so season of good will and shit

You seem to have more time to troll the web than me.

Running total using your examples - Outboards - 2000.00
    Trailer - 250.00
    Hull - 100.00
    Current - 2350.00

Now find for me - fuel tank or material to build x 2
    Twin outboard helm set up - steering and gauges
    Sounder
    batteries x 2 minimum
    Seats x 2
    Console
    Bimini

Then we can start spit balling about what you did and didn't need to spend on cloth, resin, board, trailer parts.

This is all assuming you have the general eskies, anchor and warp safety gear already in what's left of your shed

May the fuse be with you
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    We'll drink more than $750 worth of piss cutting it up.

Nor would I bolt a 40 year old Merc on the back of anything.

Realism.........this thread has none of it.
    Add to the expense providing a peace bringing "not another fishing holiday" and the budget is well ####ed

Matt

And not to put too much of a dampener on things. If you plan to do another boat does that mean you will sell this one and how much do you think you will get back.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    OK so season of good will and shit

You seem to have more time to troll the web than me.

Running total using your examples - Outboards - 2000.00
    Trailer - 250.00
    Hull - 100.00
    Current - 2350.00

Now find for me - fuel tank or material to build x 2
    Twin outboard helm set up - steering and gauges
    Sounder
    batteries x 2 minimum
    Seats x 2
    Console
    Bimini

Then we can start spit balling about what you did and didn't need to spend on cloth, resin, board, trailer parts.

This is all assuming you have the general eskies, anchor and warp safety gear already in what's left of your shed

May the fuse be with you
    Matt
    Hey Matt, 5-6k would be a finished hull, new transom, new stringers, floor, bulkheads, painted hull, 2 old vintage late 80's evinrude/johnsons

Not sure about the steering i think teleflex does a dual helm kit or i can probably run a single teleflex rated for say 300hp and link the engines with a bar that kind of steering is pretty cheap only about 400-500 bux

I could snag a used trailer for 1500 bux

I wouldnt include anything like fish finders, gps, radar, 12 inch screens, big expensive money munching batteries

Just a 7-9inch fish finder would do very basic me and mates usually watch the water and the birds rather than the fish finder

The close im pretty sure my current build i have used less than 110 meters or one roll of cloth, a roll is $600, 120 litres of poly reain is under $900

I used 5x 25mm sheets of plywood @$125 a sheet (including transom replace the thermolite with plywood) i used 3x 15mm plywood sheets $41.00 each for my floor

A bunch of fumed silica i think 2x 1kilo bags

Im not sure if im shooting my self in the foot with this post but i'll calculate it after i submit

Hey Matt, 5-6k would be a finished hull, new transom, new stringers, floor, bulkheads, painted hull, 2 old vintage late 80's evinrude/johnsons

Not sure about the steering i think teleflex does a dual helm kit or i can probably run a single teleflex rated for say 300hp and link the engines with a bar that kind of steering is pretty cheap only about 400-500 bux

I could snag a used trailer for 1500 bux

I wouldnt include anything like fish finders, gps, radar, 12 inch screens, big expensive money munching batteries

Just a 7-9inch fish finder would do very basic me and mates usually watch the water and the birds rather than the fish finder

The close im pretty sure my current build i have used less than 110 meters or one roll of cloth, a roll is $600, 120 litres of poly reain is under $900

I used 5x 25mm sheets of plywood (including transom replace the thermolite with plywood) i used 3x 15mm plywood sheets for my floor

A bunch of fumed silica i think 2x 1kilo bags

Im not sure if im shooting my self in the foot with this post but i'll calculate it after i submit
    No no.

I said the spitballing comes after. Find the things listed then we will discuss what it will cost to get to finished BMT using not only your costings but also those of other members who have done a rebuild.

The 5/6 P method has been mentioned before for good reason.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    And not to put too much of a dampener on things. If you plan to do another boat does that mean you will sell this one and how much do you think you will get back.
    Hey Gunna i'll likely keep both im not greedy but both boats would kind of have different uses, yeah t hey'll both be offshore boats but the one im rebuilding now with that 90 will be the economy buster for long runs on the cheap mostly if just me and one mate go out or i do decide to go by my self and troll i can afford the fuel

The other boat will just be a outright machine 45-50knot would be good for up steam runs in the hawkesbury river or running down georges river with a bait tank full of poddys with a few mates on the deck it would double as a offshore fast boat but u cant really use all those ponies in decent swell and chop...

I could loan out a boat to family and friends or we could get together and take both out for a big day tie up and have a bbq on the boats