Thread: Coffs region land based

Coffs region land based

Hi All

Now that the 'rona border closures are sorted we are having a week at Red Rock north of Coffs Harbour around Christmas. Any guidance on what is the go as far as land based fishing goes would be appreciated. I can probably put together the right mix of gear for most options but with space always a consideration I would rather not pack a whole lot of gear that isn't going to be used.

So lets hear.

Thanks in advance
    Matt

Re: Coffs region land based

I have never fished coffs but a mate said they have massive bream at the wharf, in general i hear all good things about coffs fishing wise they get decent mackarel up there

Where i use to live a guy a couple doors arounds older brother lives somewhere nears coffs harbour tormina i think is the suburb they go just offshore using live and dead bait

Stayed in a cabin at the mouth of the creek there a few years back.

Caught a nice jewie (about 7kg) at night flicking a 4inch softy off the bank in the creek at the park just down from the cabin.

Heard them hitting the plentiful mullet off the surface that the locals chase during the day, so gave it a shot and won using my flathead gear.
    Good memories of that drawn out tussle.

Enjoy and good luck.
    Cheers
    Gurn

Follow the walking track around the creek. It opens up a fair bit as you go around and looks good. I did no good there during the day... but didn't try all that hard either. Had jewie fillets in the fridge.
    I just take my flathead gear and bag of softies wherever I go landbased now. (Except for the surf or ocean rocks... been a while since I've done that). Never been spooled by unstoppables (is there still any around anywhere other than vermin?) and gets me a feed most times. Gives some good memories of bigger fish on light gear, even if they get away. I just up the leader size for toothy critters or snag dwellers. Maybe some hooks for whiting.
    Keep it simple is my motto.

Cheers
    Gurn

Sorry for rambling... should add...
    Flathead gear is 2 to 6 lb samaki one piece spin rod (6ft 10inch) with 2000 sustain reel and 8, 10 or 12lb braid.
    (Got a couple of extra spools for quick changes)

A brilliant versatile light little bit of kit for bait or lures that can punch well above its weight.

Thanks TheGurn will take the soft plastics rig. Also listened to this:
    https://doclures.com/coffs-harbour-h...h-shea-cooper/

And they claim you can get jew even in summer so I might re-purpose my slide bait outfit and have a crack.

Thanks again
    Matt

Yeah Matt. Jew off the rocks in NSW has always been a big hit.
    I'm not that keen anymore after a near drowning off Moreton island headland rocks. My stupid fault. (Like it could've been anyone elses. Ha).

I got my fish in the creek on a cold, windy dark night in winter.
    Might have been lucky or they may be there regularly. Dunno.
    The mullet would be the key I reckon.

Also, the mouth of the creek was pretty shallow, so not sure if it came in from outside or from upstream. Either way, it made a great memory..... and feed.

Stay safe on the rocks if you go that way and tight lines.

Cheers
    Gurn