Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Setup to Charge Batteries on Board

Re: Best Setup to Charge Batteries on Board

Just saw all the replies so thanks everyone. My head still spinning from all the talk of trollbridge and ripple current .Like you dignity I'm a simple man. Have decided to go for manual (1/2/both) between Start and AGM House. Sterling Pro 12/36v DCDC from Start to single 36v LiFePO4. Manual isolator switch to disconnect MG while not in use and main engine running. Back home, I'll just connect my trusty 12v ACDC charger to top up all the batteries if needed. Would love to swap AGM House for 12v LiFePO4 but not sure how to charge a 2nd lithium on board. Have decided to keep things simple and not bother with solar and VSRs. Besides not sure how VSR would work with the DCDC if voltage hit 13.3v, won't current gets diverted to top up House and lithium never gets charged? I've bought some of the gear but have not installed them yet as still waiting on the TM so I'm still open for suggestions. For those of you who are interested, I got Big Wei to custom build me a 36v 100AH lithium using their Class A cells with a Daly BMS, 2 year warranty for $2,240 during their Boxing Day sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Sounds all too confusing to me but I was wondering whether there was something similar to a VSR that you could run between the Lithium batteries and the MK i.e. it switches the MK off when it senses charging current to the batteries, and once the alternator is switched off then re-establishes power to the MK or will there still be a bit of a spike when that occurs. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it as electrikery is not my forte, I've decide to go with the simple charge at home policy myself once I get my LiFePO4.

I wonder what the OP did as it has been some time since his enquiry was posted.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

[QUOTE=baitable;1681170]
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post

If the issue is over voltage there are simple fixes... I thought the issue on THT was about ripple current not ripple voltage. Also QMEQ has made a public statement that BLA the suppliers of MK are accepting the use of LIfepo4 batteries now for running the MK motors. I think the biggest issue was that motors were imploding due to prolonged running at WOT. The thread was chatting about the circuit boards frying due to the MK unit not be isolated whilst charge was applied to the 36V battery- 2 different issues.
    Motorguide state the electric motor has to be disconnected from batteries while charging as well

[QUOTE=stevej;1681237]
    Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post

Motorguide state the electric motor has to be disconnected from batteries while charging as well
    yep thats a big issue really...I originally thought I could recharge with solar but when the suns out thats when I'm fishing and need the motor on..

One other option for a backup on those long trips is to carry a small genny like a honda eu20/22 (approx 20 Kg) and a good 240v charger that pumps out 20 amps or more at 36v ...