Thread: Why is my sounder not reading consistently?

Why is my sounder not reading consistently?

I’ve got a Lowrance Hook2 4x GPS sounder (el-cheapo model) and I’m having trouble getting it to read consistently. Sometimes it’s fine, but often it just fails to give a consistent reading, even at anchor. The attached photo is from a calm day while the boat is anchored. Any ideas on where to start with faultfinding?

5B9635FA-E423-425E-BAF8-5108E75F8041.jpg

Re: Why is my sounder not reading consistently?

Has the transducer kicked up and pointing out the back. This will cause this to occur, could be other issues though.

No, transducer placement is OK, I checked it before this trip. It’s attached to the transom in line with the bottom of the hull.

Looks like it may be changing ranges? Do you run it in auto mode? If possible, if that model offers, try charging the range to manual and run it at the appropriate depth. Looks like it is still reading the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

U could try a factory reset, should find it in setting somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Looks like it may be changing ranges? Do you run it in auto mode? If possible, if that model offers, try charging the range to manual and run it at the appropriate depth. Looks like it is still reading the bottom
    This. These models are notorious for hunting between depth ranges in auto, I think it mostly occurs at shallow depths. The only fix is to put in manual.