Thread: Adjusting throttle

Adjusting throttle

Hi,

Starting to tinker now with the old boat and motor that I got. There is a lot of slack in the throttle control, i.e. I'd have to push the control pretty far before getting the engine to respond.

Tried to adjust the throttle control but the barrel in the pic below is completely stuck. Had two people trying to turn this but no luck. Is there any other way to adjust? Can I do it from the controller box?

barrell.jpg

Also managed to have a quick chat with a marine mechanic and he mentioned the Mariner 80 is a reliable engine provided all the upgrades were done. Turns out that mine doesn't have the stator changed out. Should I get this done in case eventually it may damage the power pack?

Thanks.

Re: Adjusting throttle

If you're going to play mechanic then you will need a genuine mercury manual for that motor.
    Controller movement sounds normal.

I don't think the "barrel" moves on that model, OMC ones did, but not Mercury.

Throttle Cable Installation and
    Adjustment to Engine
    1. Shift remote control into neutral.
    2. Attach end of throttle cable to stud on throttle lever
    and secure with locknut as shown. Be sure to first
    put on the cable end, then the plastic washer and
    finally the locknut. Snug up the locknut and then
    back off 1/4-turn.
    a
    b
    a - Locknut
    b - Plastic Washer
    3. Hold engine throttle lever against idle stop. Adjust
    brass barrel so that there will be a slight preload
    of throttle lever against the idle stop. Lock brass
    barrels in place with barrel retainer.
    4. Proper preload on throttle cable can be checked
    by placing a piece of paper between idle stop
    screw and idle stop. Preload is correct when the
    paper can be removed without tearing but has
    some drag on it. If necessary, readjust brass barrel.

Try the Library http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html failing that I believe I have a PDF here.

Mercury had a .... of a idle setting that was part of the max advanced timing you have to run thru the whole advanced timing proceedure to reset the idle

Its not as simple as just adjusting aidle screw

What i done when i changed my 50hp merc powerhead i screen shot the timing advanced proceedure than towed my boat down to the river and had my cousin sit in the car holding the brake on while i done the proceedure as you need to start the engine and run the engine at full throttle to set the timing

You need to adjust 3 or 4 screws from memory during the test and u need a timing light