Thread: Replacing pedestal seats with esky bench seat

Replacing pedestal seats with esky bench seat

I’ve got an old fibreglass runabout with low pedestal seats that were installed by a previous owner in place of the originals. The seats were screwed directly to the floor with no reinforcement, and one of them has ripped out the screws and caused some damage that I will need to repair.

Rather than re-installing the pedestals, I am thinking about replacing them with a single icebox / esky with a padded lid to serve as a front bench seat and provide extra storage. Are there any potential problems with doing this?

Has anyone here done this before, and do you have photos of your setup? Looking for ideas on how to secure it in place, ideally so that it can be removed for cleaning etc.

Re: Replacing pedestal seats with esky bench seat

Stepping over it will likely give you the shits! I used to run my esky like that behind the seats but gave up for that reason.

pppppppppyyyyyyyy

There is also the option where the seat is fixed to the gunnel and to the floor allowing an esky to be slipped underneath the seat. This and your other idea will still depend on what is under the floor.
    What were the original seats fixed to, what model boat it is will also help as other members may have info on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    There is also the option where the seat is fixed to the gunnel and to the floor allowing an esky to be slipped underneath the seat. This and your other idea will still depend on what is under the floor.
    What were the original seats fixed to, what model boat it is will also help as other members may have info on it.
    The internal width of that stand is 45cm, with a internal height of 41cm. That doesn't allow a large esky to fit under there. If you were going to go that way, you might need to consider getting something made to suit your esky.

I reckon esky size depends on what your catching some guys go bag out on bream and whitting some other guys go tuna fishing

25L vs 300L esky are quiet different in size

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    The internal width of that stand is 45cm, with a internal height of 41cm. That doesn't allow a large esky to fit under there. If you were going to go that way, you might need to consider getting something made to suit your esky.
    Twas only an example,first one I found when I did a search, do pretty certain he wouldn't want to pay the $400 odd those particular ones cost.

Esky/ storage seat boxes made from 20Mm fiberglas caravan wall window & door cutouts with swivel seats mounted on top PB100003.JPGPC040001.JPG

Thanks for the feedback guys. The boat is a 1970’s 15ft Swift Craft Brigand, so it’s just a cheap first boat. Those off the shelf storage seats look awesome, but they are out of the budget. The DIY seat boxes that DATCOL posted look like a good idea, and on second thoughts I might be better to keep a gap in the middle than make it into a bench.