Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of prop seal replacement

Cost of prop seal replacement

Hi,

It looks like the prop seal on my outboard needs replacement. Have dark thick oil dripping.

Had a look at a few youtube videos but I think this is too hard to DIY for me.

How much should I expect to pay in total if going through a marine mechanic? I have an auto mechanic friend willing to give a try but thinking easier through marine shop with parts supply and tools, etc.

Is there a recommended marine supply shop similar to repco for cars? Found Whitworths marine but was wondering if there are others.

Re: Cost of prop seal replacement

Dark oil leaking is more than likely 2 stroke oil from the motor, drain the gear box and see if the oil is milky white, remove the prop and look for fishing line wound around the shaft.

A picture would help. Has this dark oil only appeared after running the motor at home on muffs.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    A picture would help. Has this dark oil only appeared after running the motor at home on muffs.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Yep, a picture is worthwhile, narrows down 100 possible issues to only a couple.
    Draining abd replacing gearbox oil as Noelm suggests is childs play and will give you peace of mind if oil isn't contaminated and you now know you have fresh oil in the gearbox.
    It sounds like you really should get a proper service of a good marine mechanic if your not sure of what you're doing at least initially.

Agree that it is most likely oil not burnt during combustion. I have seen gearbox oil that looked similar but it needs to go unchanged for a very long time - a decade or so 🙈 to get there and even then didn't leak out

Thank you very much all. That's a big relief.

I have an inspection with a marine mechanic booked in but not for another 3 weeks are they are fully booked.

Had work today so didn't get back in time to run the engine and take some pics. Will get to it tomorrow hopefully.

I did get a small gear oil sample previously and it didn't seem milky.

wipe a bit of the oil on to your finger and have a sniff. you'll soon know if it's gearbox oil!

Ok, drained the gear oil and there was a small trace of milky stuff. I've replaced with new oil. Taking out on the water tomorrow and will check the oil again after that. Hopefully will be ok.

Doing a pressure test on the gearbox will tell you very quickly if you have an issue and where.

Can do yourself.

Eric has posted the most easiest method, if anyone has changed gearbox oil you'll know it stinks really bad

As for doing a gearbox seal i had one engine that i can ever recall doing i think it may have been a 8hp yamaha i didnt have a long shaft pulling tool

What i done i screwed two long bolts into the prop shafts hub screw holes i than sat a harmonic balance puller just the gold flat piece over the prop shaft i than installed the prop nut and slowly done up the prop nut and it pulled the hub out i had to reset a couple of times as the amount u pull each go is thelength of thread on the prop shaft

Worked for me

Hi all,

Replaced the gear oil and took it out on the water.

First issue is no water from tell tale. Had flowing water when muffs were on so I assume it's due to the water pressure from the tap. Is it likely the impeller then?
    Second issue is gear oil turned dark milky after only 10 minutes of engine running. So there is a leak somewhere.

Assuming for now it's the impeller and prop seal, how much should I expect to pay for each when I take it to a marine mechanic?

Have a booking with marine mechanic in a few weeks. I don't think I will have time or ability to tinker myself.

Thanks.

did you confirm the oil dripping from the prop is gear oil. water could be getting past the gear selector shaft seal or drive shaft seal under the impellor also!

No, will leave that to the professional. Just after a central case cost for now and it appears the prop seal is the most common cause.

Dak did u reuse the old drain and fill seals? Did u do up the screws tightly?