Thread: Short term boat ownership

Short term boat ownership

Hello All,
    I already have good boat (4.3m Webster Twinfisher), I have owned it for 16 years and it still brings a smile to my face.
    Over the next 12 months or so I look like getting some time for extended boating trips.
    I do not want to sell the Webster, but it is too small for what I have in mind.
    I am after some thoughts on buying something like a 16 foot half cabin and keeping it for 12 months and then selling it.
    There are some pretty good rigs for say $10K to $20K.
    At the higher end you can get into 4 strokes, good for range.

Any thoughts on this model of buy it, enjoy it, and then sell it.?
    I am not too worried about depreciation but I do not want to get stuck with two boats.

Another thought bubble is to buy a trailer sailer and use it as a motor cruiser.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Short term boat ownership

If you can find a "classic" hull that is sort after, it won't devalue that much in 12 months. If you can afford it, and are sure you will use it - go for it. I know of one ex client that bought a 100 plus footer with a full time crew to tour the US and Alaska for 12 months before returning to Australia and leaving it with a boat broker to sell.

If you buy right, you will not lose money, if you are really smart, you might even make a few dollars when you sell it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Once boats get past the first 10 years or so, depreciation ceases to be an issue, especually with something that is sought after.

Two of the boats that come to mind that hold value are old quintrex and haines hunters

U can find some ripper deals out there i came across a deceased estate being sold by the blokes brother the owner must have known he was dying and done a full restore on a quintrex cruiseabout the boat was left to the brother and he said he had no use for it, i bought it for $4300 i sold it shortly after for $3500 i didnt nnow what i bought or sold..

Old mate would have turned in his grave at the boat being sold for 4.3k it was worth double that price

I sold it to a old retired aussie bloke he said he had been waiting a while for something like that to come along

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Two of the boats that come to mind that hold value are old quintrex and haines hunters

U can find some ripper deals out there i came across a deceased estate being sold by the blokes brother the owner must have known he was dying and done a full restore on a quintrex cruiseabout the boat was left to the brother and he said he had no use for it, i bought it for $4300 i sold it shortly after for $3500 i didnt nnow what i bought or sold..

Old mate would have turned in his grave at the boat being sold for 4.3k it was worth double that price

I sold it to a old retired aussie bloke he said he had been waiting a while for something like that to come along
    You bought for 4300, you say it’s worth double, and you sold it for 3500. I’m still scratching my head or is the 3500 a mistake

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    You bought for 4300, you say it’s worth double, and you sold it for 3500. I’m still scratching my head or is the 3500 a mistake

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast
    I didnt know i bought a good piece of history boating Shakey there were nothing else on the market at the time to compare prices with it, it was only after time passed i seen these boats selling for up to $10,000 i was kicking my self

I also bought a 5.6m swiftcraft 140hp evinrude mid 90's engine paid from memory $4500 didnt know anything about boats 15 years ago i listed the boat on ebay and a guy sent me a $2000 deposit from melbourne he came up 2 days later and bought it for $3000 again i had no clue on boat prices

Later found out the boats value was $12,000+

Tough lessons learned

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums