Thread: Electric Outboards

Electric Outboards

I didn’t want to hijack another post so I started new.

There appears to be a lot of work being done to get electric outboards into the market.

This is one in Sweden that appears to be ready to go on sale in near future.

Interesting days ahead. Could (my opinion only) have something to do with Evinrude not pursuing further.

I’m far from knowledgeable in this area but it makes interesting reading.

https://www.evoy.no/outboard/

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Re: Electric Outboards

Intetesting how it just looks like a rebadged existing motor including water intakes.

Distance 15-30N.M from a 50kw battery at planning speed doesnt seem like much

Interesting these motors say "high voltage" high voltage and water dont mix.. are we humans the guiny pigs? What happens when a boat sinks isthere apossibility of electricution?

Check thisout 50knots

Im lovin the idea tho if an electric outboard

Ausfish Platinum Member

Interesting these motors say "high voltage" high voltage and water dont mix.. are we humans the guiny pigs? What happens when a boat sinks isthere apossibility of electricution?
    Think of the upside, gazza--as you are sinking, all those stunned fish will be rising to the surface. Fill that esky!

Lol Ran

Something i never thought about, these electric motors will wipe out thousands of mechanic jobs mechanics will now need to become electricians

All that wasted knowledge...

Mechanics won't just vanish over night, cars will be around for a very long time yet, electric boats are a long way off main stream use, concept high performance motors with limited distance are not what the boating public want....yet, recharging, battery life and weight are still obstacles.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, there will need to be massive improvements in battery and drive technology before they overcome "range anxiety" in electric outboards.

They will have a niche market right up to the point that petrol becomes cost prohibitive or simply unavailable. The most likely place being on tenders for super yachts where they eliminate the carriage of petrol as a safety factor and big distance isn't typically an issue. They run gensets 24/7 anyway so charging the tender during the evening won't be an issue. For most of us though, the inability to throw a few extra watts into a jerry can if we intend doing a long range trip or as a safety factor really makes them a non event until battery tech advances a long way from where it is now.