Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backup motor tips

Re: Backup motor tips

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah how it works is efficiency, bigger output, bigger battery 1x12v apposed to 2x12v for 24v

100lb thrust 24v at 1/2th throttle will still put out about 6.5kph @ 15amps

60lb thrust 12v at full power 7kph @ 55amps

120lb thrust would be even more efficient at less throttle
    How are the speeds calculated? What size boat? Current?

2020 the year of compelling YouTube facts.

Matt

Thanks this is a useful guide.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    How are the speeds calculated? What size boat? Current?

2020 the year of compelling YouTube facts.

Matt
    Heaps of testing videos on youtube with various Haswing models connected to watt meters and hand held gps devices

Any thoughts on the whipper-snipper style trolling motor like this, with a longer shaft: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-5HP-2-...frcectupt=true

Although I'm mainly going on the river, don't want to end up grossly under powered if using electric. If 1hp =55 to75 pounds then 2.5-3hp should be sufficient to get to a nearby ramp (?)

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Heaps of testing videos on youtube with various Haswing models connected to watt meters and hand held gps devices
    So you have power consumption and speed over ground. What about other variables? Hull? Current? Windage? Is it going to get my 575 30km from the Gardner Banks in 1m swell with chop on top into a head wind with 2 POB and a 14kg red in the esky. Probably not but Youtube

Attachment 122644

Matt

So you have power consumption and speed over ground. What about other variables? Hull? Current? Windage? Is it going to get my 575 30km from the Gardner Banks in 1m swell with chop on top into a head wind with 2 POB and a 14kg red in the esky. Probably not but Youtube

Attachment 122644

Matt
    youtube "haswing protuor" you may be surprised... i just watched a video of one pushing a 27 foot commercial boat

Short you're pushing a boat through water not flying a kite in the wind..

If u pick a decent motor with plenty of extra thrust wind would be no factor as the electric motor is thrusting through water and not air, wind would just put a bit more force on the hull which an ekectric motor over the recommended size will just poeer through

Just because the wind is blowing 45kph doesnt mean the current is flowing 45kph which the water is your propulsion force and to be factored in

You're boating in a river, toss a couple of paddles in the boat.

heres a laugh
    $1.20 for alitre of fuel = 9kw hours
    100amps at 12v =1.2kwh

so 1 litre of fuel = 7 100 amphour deep cycle batteries, minus friction and inificencies from heat and friction

a long shaft 4 hp yamaha is about 2k second hand with a inbuilt tank, significantly cheaper then a 24v electric setup and all you need is a 5l jerry can to run for hours

Small auxiliary/kicker/spare motors are usually more trouble than they are worth, they never get used, never get maintained, and when/if you need them, they won't start, add to that, extra weight on one side, which in a small boat is a big issue, you are just creating headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    heres a laugh
    100amps at 12v =1.2kwh

so 1 litre of fuel = 7 100 amphour deep cycle batteries, minus friction and inificencies from heat and friction

a lng shaft 4 hp yamaha is about 2k second hand with a inbuilt tank, significantly cheaper then a 24v electric setup and all you need i s a 5l jerry can to run for hours
    Could you find me a youtube clip of that?
    Cheers Matt

Could you find me a youtube clip of that?
    Cheers Matt
    im not the you tube expert

and noelm
    i ran a 9.8 tohatsu long shaft on a 4.8m stacer with a high thrust low pitch sail prop and worked well used it to troll as could troll slower then the 70 main engine when livebaiting offshore
    Also used it on a 12foot tinny to let the kids use when away on breaks to the coast

nevers a broad statment not everyones lazy and indifferent to their safety and backup devicesand they do work for some
    almost every trout boat has a kicker engine for trolling on them

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Small auxiliary/kicker/spare motors are usually more trouble than they are worth, they never get used, never get maintained, and when/if you need them, they won't start, add to that, extra weight on one side, which in a small boat is a big issue, you are just creating headaches.
    Dakr, I think you are over thinking things. Make sure your motor gets a good overall service and any necessary repairs and have some faith in it. If you can't get past the idea of not having a spare motor then by all means get an electric mounted on the bow as you will find it absolutely the best if you decide to flick some plastics, vibes etc. I e en use it bait fishing these days, my anchor hasn't seen water gor about 2 years. Chasing prawns was another upside, move into position, cast the net and with the remote move away from the mangroved.
    So easy move a few metres one way or another, hit the anchor lock and fish an area for 5 mins or so then move on.

Ausfish Platinum Member

im not the you tube expert

and noelm
    i ran a 9.8 tohatsu long shaft on a 4.8m stacer with a high thrust low pitch sail prop and worked well used it to troll as could troll slower then the 70 main engine when livebaiting offshore
    Also used it on a 12foot tinny to let the kids use when away on breaks to the coast

nevers a broad statment not everyones lazy and indifferent to their safety and backup devicesand they do work for some
    almost every trout boat has a kicker engine for trolling on them
    They run them because they need to troll VVEERRYY slow, slower than you can manage with a larger outboard. They were popular in some places as saltwater trolling motors back in the day, as most of the larger two strokes hated idling for hours on end. Foule dplugs and all that, safety wasn't always the consideration.

heres a laugh
    100amps at 12v =1.2kwh

a long shaft 4 hp yamaha is about 2k second hand with a inbuilt tank, significantly cheaper then a 24v electric setup and all you need is a 5l jerry can to run for hours
    That is the problem with the world tho fuel is just to cheap for the bang it gives its what makes the world go round mechanically we are no where near comparative fuel to electricity and we will need a huge break through like going from Ni-cad to lithium pilymere but untill than battery power wont be as efficent however with solar power u can make recharge for free kind of after the intial investment but that is just like buying a new 4hp 4 stroke outboard