Thread: Mariner 80 engine questions

Mariner 80 engine questions

Hi,

I'm new to boating and having some issues with my Mariner 80 2 stroke engine and have some questions.

1) This is an old engine. Can't find any model number stickers. Is there another way to find out, or can I post some pics here?
    2) The engine is not starting because bendix gear not engaging flywheel. Have put in lubrication and it's not stuck. Battery fully charged. Anything else I can do? See video here: https://streamable.com/nlcdef The engine started fine just a few days ago at the seller's place.
    3) Looking for a recommendation for a good engine mechanic in Perth who charges reasonable amounts. Mobile mechanic would be nice but not mandatory so I don't have to drag the boat over.

Thank you!

Re: Mariner 80 engine questions

If its a old Merc / Mariner the solenoids were a common failure. Can always try using one of the Pwr Tilt & Trim solenoids to eliminate this as a possibility.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

If solenoid issue, would the starter motor spin anyway? I assume you're suggesting swap the tilt/trim solenoid to starter motor to try out?

Thanks.

Any car motor mechanic or auto electrician or house electrician would diagnose the problem in 60 seconds, got any mates?

From what you've said I'd discount the battery, the solenoid and the bendix so that only leaves a bad connection or the starter itself (brushes).

Bad connection, battery terminals, negative on engine block, large main positive on solenoid, switched main positive on solenoid or starter positive connection.

Starter, easily inspected & repaired if necessary (usually brushes), small U shaped tool needs to be cut out to reassemble (easy).

starter.jpg

Connections 6,7,8,9,10 & 11.

No offence intended but because you're asking the question sort of indicates a little inexperience so I'd advise call a mate.
    If you want to persevere then we can talk you through it.

Edit: the circuit is not your exact motor (mention of red plug indicates OMC) but near enough.

Are you 100% sure the battery is OK? saying it's charged does not guarantee a battery is good.

The starter appears slow in the video but that could be the strobe effect (camera frame rate Vs starter RPM).
    In real life does it spin faster (A LOT FASTER) than what the video shows?

Thanks all for the tips. It may be a battery issue. Recharged again and showed error. If new battery doesnt work will try @Fed suggestions

If you have to root around with the battery, it's buggered, try a known good one, not a just charged bad one.

pppppppppppppppppppppp

All,

Thank you for all your suggestions and support. Turned out the battery is buggered and it starts fine now! Day 3 of owning a boat and have learned a bit about the engine. Since the engine has started, have now discovered new issues(s) which I'll start a new post.