Thread: Protite Clear Resin

Protite Clear Resin

Found in the Big Green Shed with their Resin catalyst , anyone tried this one for their Rod bulding at all ??
    Was wandering when spied it and the price it came in at ??.

Re: Protite Clear Resin

Had seen it but hadn't considered it for rod building. I thought it was used fir making art pieces etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Found in the Big Green Shed with their Resin catalyst , anyone tried this one for their Rod bulding at all ??
    Was wandering when spied it and the price it came in at ??.
    Not sure if standard epoxy resin from the hardware stores is suitable for rod building as it may be too hard/brittle with very little stretch, so when the rod flexes it may crack.The epoxy they use on rods tends to stay quite flexible even after many, many years so suspect it may be a modified form of epoxy to be able to do so. I have also contemplated using similar but never did it as I figured it would be a very big waste of time and effort if it didn't work out and I would have to redo it all which is very time consuming not to mention annoying as well.

So I just keep paying top dollar for the "correct stuff."

Interesting ey , was put onto it from a lure maker says it is supposedly Good??, but my concern is/was like you say in its flexabillity over time and brittleness??..
    Guess only way to tell is buy, spread some on an old piece of blank , leave set for awhile and see how brittle it end up ??..
    days end it might be just okay for a repair here n there ??..

It is a Casting and Embedding Resin, I don't know if it has any flexibility in it. If it works then worth the effort, if not, you'll be able to make a paperweight out of it with your favourite lure embedded in it.

Couldnt resist n had to put my curiosityy at rest and TRY!!??, Quite thin , does set quick depending how much Catylist is used , Sets quite Clear though a wee bit on the hard side ..
    As thought might be okay for a quick repair her e n there but would not use for a Custom Finish and sure it wont go astray among the other bits of wasted money sitting in the Shed ..