Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunshine Coast Offshore / New Boat

Sunshine Coast Offshore / New Boat

Afternoon All,
    I've recently purchased the below 6.1m Custom Ally. My second larger boat (first was a Haines 585SF).

I've had plenty of experience outside at the banks and the closer inshore reefs, but I have never made it to the Hards. Looking to make a trip out there sometime and am looking to possibly tag along with some one heading that way.

As for the boat... No name yet.. Honda 135 with 32 Hrs on it. 6.1m, made in Perth.

Needs a new custom Aluminium bait board & a live bait set up. Thats the first 2 items on the list. Also need to look at the windscreen, perspex does not do well with Salt and wipers i believe. Up for suggestions here.

Then I will be looking at some storage options. Very roomy deck

I have had it out the front and seems to handle decent, certainly not as nice as glass. I have purchased a nice Helm seat though, should make the ride a little better.

Anyway, just thought i would post and see what you all think.

As soon as i can get the weather to behave on the weekends I will be out and about.

Boat seat.jpgIMG_2611.jpgIMG_2612.jpgIMG_2614.jpg
    ...A bad days fishing is always better than a good days working...

Re: Sunshine Coast Offshore / New Boat

nice boat , some interesting rigs come out of W.A looks nice and deep too , interesting the perspex is curved and how it that attached cant see a frame holding the windows in , look forward to some progress

Hey mate, nice rig with so much potential to customize or just bash and fish as it is. Pics are so deceptive, I looked at pic 2 and thought it looked like it was gunna slap hard especially in a quarter head sea but then last pic shows the deeper v and hull shape which should be a real nice ride for a platey driven right. Good luck with the boat
    Cheers
    Muz

Looks bigger than 6.1 too in pics

ppppppppppppppp

" I looked at pic 2 and thought it looked like it was gunna slap hard especially in a quarter head sea"

That is my concern.. It gets to full beam pretty quickly coming back from the bow. Weather is looking alright for Sunday up here so im hoping to get it outside for a bit more of a test.

I could not pass it up for the price. See how it goes, make some use of it, do some mods / upgrades and see how we go.

Cat,
    Perspex is curved and sealed / rivited into a recessed Ally frame.

Don't really like it. Needs wipers or some clears I think. Going to drop past Maroochydore marine trimming and get some advice.

I work in a steel / Aluminium fabrication / coatings workshop, no issues in changing it up how i want, however i only want to do it once.

Needs a ladder on the back for the kiddos, and im thinking a bow mount electric for spot locking on point.

Not going the electric winch route again, and my back does not agree with lifting anchors.

That's the right size boat for your adventures. Mine is 6.2.

I have a perspex windscreen that gets replaced every 10 years or so, but don't have wipers and also i have a clears section at the top to look through. Very rarely in rain, so don't use it as a factor when setting up options.

I have the big bait tray at the back..... just make sure it does not interfere with the motor at full trim up.

The best option I put on was a full length canopy...= shade = comfortable fishing.

Hope I can find photos.... and drop them here somewhere

You can make out the canopy on one photo that is of the small tinnie ( ReBait in background )

LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Nice Rig Phill, good point, bit more shade cannot hurt.

Nice little ship Phil..now I understand your conundrum about the repower...

What size is the current Honda and what HP and breed were you considering for a motor upgrade..?

xpaladoshsous..who built the new boat and what design is it...?...and what was your reasoning to go from glass to ali..?

Was built by a small fabricator in WA, not sure of the design. He and his brother had been working in shipyards most of there life.

My reasoning was the price i got it for, i could not pass it up.

Anybody have recommendations for an electric to use pretty much just for spot locking?

Ive been looking at a few on marketplace, but not all have the spot lock function.

Would be looking for a 55Lb?

Currently 130HP... thinking 200 Merc ?

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by xpaladoshous View Post
    Anybody have recommendations for an electric to use pretty much just for spot locking?

Ive been looking at a few on marketplace, but not all have the spot lock function.

Would be looking for a 55Lb?
    Mate I have a the same hull as Phills boat and I put a 105lb MG on it...

With yours I sure wouldn't go any less then 80lb and 72 inch shaft..

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Currently 130HP... thinking 200 Merc ?

LP
    I don't know anything about them except they look great on paper..low weight, great performance and economy, easy to service etc...

I tried to get as many motor sizing opinions on that Supervee hull when I was powering mine....so mainly talked to guys with Suzuki, Yammy and Honda....it seemed 175hp-200 4 cylinder motors didn't get the best out of them...6 cyl 200 adequate..250hp is about perfect...

Also weight in the arse end was a bit of a factor is your fuel tank is towards the rear as in most of the aussie build boats..mine is between the front seats...

I went for 200 Honda but now wish I'd have gone 250....my missus keeps adding stuff to the boat and the weight keeps increasing.....200 Merc might be perfect considering its about 70 kgs lighter then the Honda and supposedly has more grunt..though the V8 250 would be real sweet.....

Has to be bow mount doesnt it?

Just looking into them more. There is a bit to consider.

Will definitely need to take a dimension from water line to mount positions.