Thread: Pivot arms for 12 inch sounders

Pivot arms for 12 inch sounders

Hi all. I have a 9 inch Garmin on a Size D RAM arrangement- a 6in arm and ball at each end. I am looking to go a second Garmin. This time 12inch. The single RAM size D joints won't hold it in rough weather on a 6 inch arm. Do we have anything better readily available here? I like Balzout arms but they seem largely to be available Stateside... cheers

PS. Am I right in thinking the Echomap 12 inch has quickrelease but the GPSMap 84xx series does not?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Pivot arms for 12 inch sounders

Ended up with 2 x Ram Swing Arm mounts. Great kit. Cheers

got any photos ?

Not a great photo Steve. Will grab one next time the boat is out. Cheers

Thanks for posting a pic, I bought a RAM 1.5″ BALL MOUNT WITH MOUNT WITH MOUNTING BRACKET FOR FISHFINDERS for our 9" sounder and while it works I think the swing arm mount would have been a better option for stability. We have a 4.9m open boat so mounting was an issue. It works, but at speed it shakes around a bit.
    Does your VHF have any protection from the weather? When I bought our boat the VHF was mounted right up under the front where it is well protected from the elements but it is hard to hear when the engine is off and you can't see it.
    Thanks

active captain makes sharing waypoints between them easy enough
    nice setup am envious of the 2 extra inches lol

can get sunshades for them including the gps maps from berley pro

Quote Originally Posted by chappie View Post
    Thanks for posting a pic, I bought a RAM 1.5″ BALL MOUNT WITH MOUNT WITH MOUNTING BRACKET FOR FISHFINDERS for our 9" sounder and while it works I think the swing arm mount would have been a better option for stability. We have a 4.9m open boat so mounting was an issue. It works, but at speed it shakes around a bit.
    Does your VHF have any protection from the weather? When I bought our boat the VHF was mounted right up under the front where it is well protected from the elements but it is hard to hear when the engine is off and you can't see it.
    Thanks
    Hi mate. I had the large ball ram mount for the 9 inch unit but yes too much vibration.

The arms are much better especially in very rough conditions.

I have had the VHF in the open for 3 years. No issues with it at all. I also have an external speaker hooked up on the other side of the boat that works well.

4.5m open boat.

The 8412 is awesome kit with the GT56.

Cheers

G'day Oz and Steve,
    My son has just got himself a new stacer 4.3 proline angler, January this year and stumped up for the garmin echomap 125 ultra with the gt56 trans, rippin unit and very pretty pictures on side and downscan.
    We, or I fitted it with a ram ball mount and I dont think it is the biggest one maybe the c size but it seems to hold alright, also He's not smacking through chop and stuff cause its not that sort of boat, I know that in his kayak the smaller of these mounts lose there grip after a while and will probably happen with this one, so what do you think of the swing mount so far? and can it be easily disassembled for when the travel cover goes on.
    Also the mapping supplied is a bit under done and he is looking at the bluechart g3 vision card, have you blokes had any experience with this card?
    Regards Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bobfromblacky View Post
    G'day Oz and Steve,
    My son has just got himself a new stacer 4.3 proline angler, January this year and stumped up for the garmin echomap 125 ultra with the gt56 trans, rippin unit and very pretty pictures on side and downscan.
    We, or I fitted it with a ram ball mount and I dont think it is the biggest one maybe the c size but it seems to hold alright, also He's not smacking through chop and stuff cause its not that sort of boat, I know that in his kayak the smaller of these mounts lose there grip after a while and will probably happen with this one, so what do you think of the swing mount so far? and can it be easily disassembled for when the travel cover goes on.
    Also the mapping supplied is a bit under done and he is looking at the bluechart g3 vision card, have you blokes had any experience with this card?
    Regards Mark
    Mark the G3 and G3 vision mapping with relief shading, auto guidance for navigating etc is excellent. The swing arms are strong and study and makes adjusting the units easy _ for eg swinging the units out of the way or towards the front etc. I take the arms off for the cover to go on. Only takes a couple of minutes to do both. Yep its not as quick as removing the ball fitting but its not a chore. The 125 Ultra with GT56 is nice kit.

Out yesterday and the GT56 recorded bream in just under 4 feet of water and with the sidescan out 50 odd feet per side (first photo bottom left, then same photo cropped to that section) Crazy stuff. See also the target separation in 2d in 2m of water and the nice turtle shadow. All salt and murky water.

Cheers