Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunshine Coast Offshore / New Boat

Re: Sunshine Coast Offshore / New Boat

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I don't know anything about them except they look great on paper..low weight, great performance and economy, easy to service etc...

I tried to get as many motor sizing opinions on that Supervee hull when I was powering mine....so mainly talked to guys with Suzuki, Yammy and Honda....it seemed 175hp-200 4 cylinder motors didn't get the best out of them...6 cyl 200 adequate..250hp is about perfect...

Also weight in the arse end was a bit of a factor is your fuel tank is towards the rear as in most of the aussie build boats..mine is between the front seats...

I went for 200 Honda but now wish I'd have gone 250....my missus keeps adding stuff to the boat and the weight keeps increasing.....200 Merc might be perfect considering its about 70 kgs lighter then the Honda and supposedly has more grunt..though the V8 250 would be real sweet.....

Well, the 2000 model 6.2 Supervee has a transom HP rating of 145HP. Which kind of knocks things around, but the weight of the old 130 Honda is 225kgs and the new 200 Merc is 229kgs, so weight is right.

My tank is centrally located and only 180ltrs.

If I were to upgrade, I obviously need to upgrade the ransom. As most Supervee's, I tend to load weight to the back end in a following sea to avoid the broaching...

Photo attached of " thought about motor "

LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Take your boat in and talk to your local dealer about motor size and mount placement as your bow/cabintop is pretty unique..

You will want one of these in Motorguide or Minn Kota as a minimum....or if you have heaps of dollars you can go for the fancy self deploy Minn Kota...I chose not to after hearing of lots of teething problems with the self deploy...

https://www.motormarine.com.au/listi...-pinpoint-gps/

Phill my 200 Honda is about 285kgs dry weight so that 229kg merc would be sweet.....you might just have to get a new builders plate and sign off from an engineer to keep your insurance intact..

Nice to see it is the V8 you are looking at...she should really get up and boogy with that on the back..

The Nobles are building Supervees again down your way..I wonder if it might be worth contacting them about uprating the transom..?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Phill my 200 Honda is about 285kgs dry weight so that 229kg merc would be sweet.....you might just have to get a new builders plate and sign off from an engineer to keep your insurance intact..

Nice to see it is the V8 you are looking at...she should really get up and boogy with that on the back..

The Nobles are building Supervees again down your way..I wonder if it might be worth contacting them about uprating the transom..?
    Well, um.. I personally know 3 very good ally boat builders , so would speak to them first and see who wants to take on the task.

Still contemplating and no hurry................. Wonder if you could re-map the Merc 200 and pull an extra 50 ponies out of it

LP

Phil, I was just thinking in terms of whether you actually need to do anything at all other then a new builders plate when replacing with quite a light motor......

and yeah that Merc is the same motor as the 250 and 300 so its likely there would be a lot more ponies with a remap...although why not just buy the 250 to begin with and retain the warranty..?

Quote Originally Posted by xpaladoshous View Post
    Cat,
    Perspex is curved and sealed / rivited into a recessed Ally frame.

Don't really like it. Needs wipers or some clears I think. Going to drop past Maroochydore marine trimming and get some advice.

I work in a steel / Aluminium fabrication / coatings workshop, no issues in changing it up how i want, however i only want to do it once.

Needs a ladder on the back for the kiddos, and im thinking a bow mount electric for spot locking on point.

Not going the electric winch route again, and my back does not agree with lifting anchors.
    Don’t want to hijack so could you shooter a message on why not interested in electric winch as I’m no spring chicken and going down this track

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

I have been in an old school 6.2m Super vee with a 175 and it was a rocket ship!!

Not sure why you would need to go anymore than that unless you have way too much gear in the boat and if thats the case cut back..

You can thank me everytime you go to pay the fuel bill at the servo lads

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    I have been in an old school 6.2m Super vee with a 175 and it was a rocket ship!!

Not sure why you would need to go anymore than that unless you have way too much gear in the boat and if thats the case cut back..

Well, the 200 is same weight, but more HP, therefore better power to weight ratios , hence fuel savings..........

I always thought a 150 on the 6.2 would be perfect, but Honda didn't make them back in 2003..

LP

Morning Shakey,
    I had a winch on my previous boat, I just think for the cost difference the Elc motor gives you more.

Being able to spot lock on a mark as your on it, compared to having to go over it and try and anchor back on to it.
    ...A bad days fishing is always better than a good days working...

Quote Originally Posted by xpaladoshous View Post
    Morning Shakey,
    I had a winch on my previous boat, I just think for the cost difference the Elc motor gives you more.

Being able to spot lock on a mark as your on it, compared to having to go over it and try and anchor back on to it.
    Yeah its like night and day...

it instantly makes you a much more successful fisho ..

for me it also means I have a crack at a lot more spots that I wouldnt have bothered trying to set an anchor on because its just so quick, easy and precise.

Its nice when you cant see much showing on the sounder but an small obscure rock in 60-70m but think what the hell and hit the spotlock, drop a bait down and then pull up a 20 pound Red....

I also love that often when you find those rocks there might be more in the vicinity so the missus doesnt even bother pulling the leccy up if there is nothing on that rock....I just turn the remote off and turn the Honda on and motor over to the next rock at 4-5knots... hit spotlock and drop straight amongst them..

None of this having to work out wind and tide and wasting time drifting over the spot to get a track on the GPS to help position the boat whilst dropping the anchor and then finding you are 20m out of position and wonder if you should stay there catching nada or pull the anchor and try again...many places have been catching good fish on this year i wouldnt have even bothered fishing if I had to drop an anchor on..

This is particularly useful in deeper water and leccy's should also be compulsory for anchoring in the Great Barrier Reef marine park IMO...

They are a massive gamechanger and have made my fishing time so much more enjoyable and productive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post

That makes no sense to me at all Watto ..considering we are talking about heavy plate boats that are often used to run big distances offshore and often overnighting...Why spend maybe 100K on a boat to have to say...sorry honey but we have to leave the scuba tanks and your fridge at home to cut back on weight because the motor cant handle it..My advice is, particularly on a very deep V plate alloy hull, is to power it at the max possible ..then you wont have to leave you stuff at home, you will have a higher cruise speed and the boat will push through slop a whole lot better....with modern 4 stroke outboards fuel economy running a larger motor at 3500-4000 RPM at cruise rather than having to work a smaller motor at 5000rpm or higher to acheive the same speeds shouldnt be to different...it could possibly even be better..I also have 6 batteries onboard with a 36v leccy so it all adds up..

Fair enough disorderly, I am just saying a 175hp on a 6.2m super vee in my opinion is ample!

We would do lots of miles and carried plenty of weight at times and not once did we think geez she is struggling a little here or not performing to expectations..

And I think you will find the old put more horsepower on and not work the engine as hard, saves you fuel is a fallacy but happy to be proven otherwise.

Bigger donk - bigger fuel bill end of story..

maybe.. maybe not............ the current technology in 4 bangers is putting my old 2003, 130HP EFI to shame... I know of 175 Suzuki's that are doing .5 - .7 kilometers per litre better on same boat. Over a year, that adds up.

And there is the power to weight ratio happening..

><>

Sorry LP, i was alluding to a bigger motor working not as hard as a smaller engine will use less fuel etc..

I am pretty sure that isn't the case, happy to be proven otherwise..

An advancement in technology like that, yes it could certainly work in your favour with the upgrade for sure even with the extra HP..

Bit of a tough dilemma you are faced with and there is not going to be a definitive answer unfortunately, just take your time and I am sure you will be satisfied with the outcome whatever you decide mate.