Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Snapper Wild Stocking......... it's viable

Re: Snapper Wild Stocking......... it's viable

Any idea how big these fingerlings are Phill, it would be interesting to know how long its taken to get to release size as you no there slow growing.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Any idea how big these fingerlings are Phill, it would be interesting to know how long its taken to get to release size as you no there slow growing.
    40-60 mm 150,000 of the little suckers . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Bump, just happened to see a fishing show on the snapper guardian program with Al mcglashan, very cool idea, the spawning vortex that occurs in Cockburn sound would be an amazing spectacle to behold

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    40-60 mm 150,000 of the little suckers . Matt
    Thats a hard number that looks great on paper. 150k. Tangible effort. Tangible effort that may bear fruit and probably will.

While I’m not against stocking, all for it. But I’d love to know exactly what the models suggest the recruitment increases would be by protecting all of the 35-45cm models from catches over a 5-10 year period?. How many extra spawning would we expect to see from the current biomass (and increasing biomass) over time if that bracket was protected? How many of them would make it to the 60mm+ size?

FQ seem to be more worried about the biomass and the number of larger individuals left in it (growth overfished I believe the call it). While stating at the same time the old 5x35cm regs left no room for a collapse.

it’s all interesting and all anecdotal. The models are just that and they have no real idea. We will go around in circles on this until we can gather some real solid data on actual catches. Numbers and sizes. They claim Recs are the largest take of Snapper. Yet there’s no will to get the evidence of that outside of tiny percentages from boat ramp surveys that get extrapolated using ridiculous metrics for doing so.

Until we get to the point FQ are using super solid data on Rec catches like they do for commercial, we run the risk of mathematics geeks running the latest “Monte Carlo” model to suggest further action is required. If there’s no further action required there’s no need for FQ scientists. We’re stuck in a negative loop.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

As we speak, there is a Rocky Reef working group gathering data and ideas for management of this fishery ( Snapper, Pearl Perch, Teraglin Jew and Kingfish ) Well, it started back in 2018 and to date have had a number of meetings and I am sure they will be able to put out discussion paper very soon. Thing is, and only in my opinion, by the time FQ decide to " investigate " a fishery, discus it, gather a working group, toss up ideas, produce a paper, summarise it, send it to the minister etc, soo much time has passed, the fishery looks nothing like when it was first identified for appraisal.

There will be changes to the Recreational, Commercial and Charter rules when the final analysis is complete.

Unfortunately, those that have a financial stake in the fishery will attempt to look after themselves ( livelihood ). What FQ do not understand and grossly underestimate is the " stake " recreational fishers have in the fishery and moreso the dollar value rec fishers have in terms of Economic Benefit to the State. Recreational Anglers are the biggest stakeholder in all Queenslands Fisheries, and yet have a minor say in outcomes. This is due to a number of reasons and let's face it, there are very few rec anglers that will work with FQ, again, for a number of reasons. If anyone here would like a chance to sit on the RR working group, message me now, and I can get you a seat. FQ are not the enemy, in fact there are many many FQ people that are good people, keen fishos and sympathise with us. I don't have to tell you how Govt Policy over-rules common sense in a lot of matters.

The recreational sector in under-represented on this working group.

Let's also be honest, the whole Queensland Marine Fishery is in decline and in some cases over-fished. The band-aid approach, in my opinion, taken by FQ ( The Govt ) over many years is not working. Same old, same old... bag limits, boat limits, closures, size limits.... I've heard it a thousand times. It is time for FQ to think outside the box. That may happen, but it has to get passed the Ivory Tower buffoons who are simply chasing votes to appease minorities. Despite many attempts in the past, and I will say I have been involved in, creating artificial reefs having been the subject of “ Greenie Sabotage “. We have destroyed large portions of marine habitat, undertaken widespread commercial activities, huge uptake in the tourism ( charter ) industry and seen an explosion of recreational angling and all the powers that be can do is, “ same old , same old “. It’s broken FQ, and you are putting a band-aid on it. It will never heal unless you invest in a cure.

Don't be surprised people, if the Rocky Reef Fishery is shut down completely for a year or two. I doubt that will happen due the Influence of certain " financial stakeholders ".. ><>

All , imo of course.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Interesting take ,,, the people who are saying there are no snapper left ....... are they the same ones saying that shark are on the verge on extinction???

you can't be fishing near me cause i don't have any issues catching snapper or sharks for that matter.

just an observation

BigE

Phill if I was in the country I’d stick my hand up as I bleat on about it enough that I should put my money where my mouth is. I’m sadly working overseas ATM so won’t be able to contribute.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Just read the Rocky reef fishery bref Phill you know that not everyone here would qualify to sit down with these guys and that was when i read ......What is reasonable behaviour .......

Stocking snapper is pretty pointless if they don't increase the minimum size to 50cm for both rec and commercial fishers.

Would you want your family being responsible to breed effectively at 12 years of age then harvested at 13 years of age??

FFS the fish grows to a metre plus.
    Jack.

While what you say might be true (in some locations) that very thing is one of the issues that needs sorting out, like dozens of other problems, if I was in QLD I would be onto this real quick. Just to anyone who is prepared to give up your time, get ready for frustration and what seems like never ending dead ends, but, it's worth the effort, I have been in a few Gov run groups and most had a bit of a positive outcome, but still frustrating, nothing just "gets done" it's not that simple.