Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damage to Honda Lower Unit BF50D

Re: Damage to Honda Lower Unit BF50D

QUOTE=tunaticer;1677724]I suspect the "knock" you felt was the gearbox breaking...possibly jamming for a split second jolting the motor.[/QUOTE]

I'm with Tuna on his thoughts.

TMC

It seemed fine after the knock. Operated as normal for the next few hours. There was a very slight vibration in lower revs but that’s it. Got to full noise and went in and out of gear normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    It seemed fine after the knock. Operated as normal for the next few hours. There was a very slight vibration in lower revs but that’s it. Got to full noise and went in and out of gear normally.
    Not surprising looking at the damages....nothing immediately fatal.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    QUOTE=tunaticer;1677724]I suspect the "knock" you felt was the gearbox breaking...possibly jamming for a split second jolting the motor.
    I'm with Tuna on his thoughts.

TMC[/QUOTE]

Me three. Unless there was other external damage that wasn't there before. That damage looks "inside to outside". Prop does have some dings so could have been damage done prior and it's finally let go.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I'm calling bullshit that the knock caused that damage.
    A dog clutch drives consistently on 6 teeth all of the time so it does not make sense to shear one tooth out in an event.
    I suspect the part was faulty prior to failure.

Do not take the dog to an engineering workshop for repairs...it is a forged item and can not be repaired to original quality regardless of Gazza's advice.
    Unfortunately the hit on the prop transfered through the cross pin on the dog clutch tearing out 1 of the 6 driving teeth. Have a look
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech