Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queenslanders and VMR....Coast Guard, What's doing ?

Question Queenslanders and VMR....Coast Guard, What's doing ?

Joint Forces.............. Should this happen ?

The idea of one Marine Volunteer Search & Rescue organisation in Queensland.

Currently Queensland has 2 Marine Rescue entities in the Coast Guard and Volunteer Marine Rescue ( VMR ). VMR has 26 Squadrons and Coast Guard has 21 Flotillas.

A Squadron meaning a unit of the armed services

A Flotilla is a small fleet of ships.

The Coast Guard formed in 1961, with Queensland joining in May 1967, whereas the VMR emerged in 1969 and become VMR in 1990.
    With 47 separate “ stations “ lining the Queensland coast, it only seems sensible to have these join forces and become one entity servicing the needs of the Queensland boating public.

Many advantages can be attained from a merger.

1. Strength of numbers in lobbying for funding from Governments
    2. One uniform, logo, colour, constitution, financial reporting, training and so much more.
    3. Reciprocal membership between all stations
    4. Ease of logging on and off via VHF radio.
    5. Reduction in management numbers and given todays technology, servicing the requirements for meetings can be minimised, reducing running / operational costs.

The question is, why has this not been done a long time ago and in fact why was there ever a VMR formed, when some years previous, a Coast Guard was in existence in Queensland. There is history between the groups and that is ancient history and must be left in the past for the good of the boating community and both rescue groups.

Queenslands S & R groups are called upon by not only recreational and commercial boating fraternity, but Government departments like Police. The groups are often First Responders in marine incidents and undertake numerous tasks, not just towing in disabled boats.
    Our groups are manifestly underfunded given their status in the community regarding preservation of lives, search and rescue, recovery of stricken vessels, emergency medical training, safety at sea training and more.
    How do we fund these groups once they become one ? Several options spring to mind.

1. Introduce a fee, like the RUF, from vessel registrations. While not increasing vessels registration costs.
    2. A mandatory membership to the entity with every new vessel sold ( similar to Roadside Assist in the car industry )
    3. A membership option attached to recreational ship registrations which are now usually emailed. This option would hold appeal given reciprocal arrangements between all stations. Just tick the box.
    4. A compulsory fee for rescue with the State Government SPUR system employed for non compliance. This could be offset by a “ rescue “ clause in ones vessel insurance and with that option attracting a small cost.
    5. A broad targeted sponsorship in relation to vessels, motors, uniforms, fuel, maintenance, electrical equipment etc, giving the sponsor State wide exposure and also minimising the encumbrance of multi-person or individual negotiations between sponsors. This sponsorship would also need the support of the Federal Government and ATO.
    6. A one off, State and Federal funding option to transition into one group.
    7. A major sponsor that would have input into logo’s, colours, media content, events. This sponsor would need to commit long term and the have symbiotic relationship with the entity, feeding off each other across all forms of media for the purposes of highlighting each others commitment to Queenslanders and in particular Boating Queenslanders.

There are about 278,000 registered recreational vessels in Queensland. That is a huge number to look out for by just 47 stations, although not all vessels ply the oceans off our coastline, which is nearly 7,000 kilometers long.
    There is no doubt an argument can be made to consolidate the groups and provide boating Queenslanders with a world class and world leading Search & Rescue service at an affordable cost. What cost does one place on their lives and the lives of their boating friends and family ? On the up side, this is a vote winner at any election and with minimal funding required compared to other “ promises “ by the candidates.

I'd like any comments, thoughts, ideas or opinions on the above.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Queenslanders and VMR....Coast Guard, What's doing ?

"The question is, why has this not been done a long time ago and in fact why was there ever a VMR formed, when some years previous, a Coast Guard was in existence in Queensland. There is history between the groups and that is ancient history and must be left in the past for the good of the boating community and both rescue groups."

The only answer to that is egos Phil. From my dealings with groups run by committees, it's hard enough to get one lot to agree internally without infighting. I have seen guys that have worked tirelessly for years for VMR / Coastgaurd organisations simply walk away from it because of it - only to watch the shit stirrers then turn around and disappear in a hurry when someone asks who is then going to pick up the slack. I give all committee run organisations a wide berth because of it. Not sure how to fix it but it sure isn't my scene. I agree it would make a lot of sense to consolidate the organisations but sorting out the controlling body will be a bun fight.

I am pretty sure this was one of the items the current govt said they would implement - oh, Copvid has probably displaced that decision.

This subject has been raised over the years, be me and others and as Scott stated, it was a matter of " egos " that prevented it in the past.

I'm just trying to get some traction again.................. ><>

We (NSW) have been through exactly the same thing a few years ago, it took forever to get straight, the biggest issue was who was taking over who, it was never about "amalgamation" it was a takeover, and no one likes that (ego can be substituted here....) it will take ages to sift it through and digest it, the concept was finally established and we now have a (kind of) single entity.

Historically, Qld's two-system marine rescue bodies came about due to govt's reluctance to spend money providing the service.

Govt was happy for volunteers to perform the function at minimum cost by the use of local volunteers who also had to supply their own equipment.

The two main groups in Qld were the singular Aust Volunteer Coast Guard Association and other individual volunteer groups under different names but mainly centred around the name Air Sea Rescue.

The AVCG was a nationally registered organisation structured from the top down. Each ASR group was local and the loose "association of ASR groups" was structured from the bottom up (completely opposite to CG).

Local ASR groups managed themselves with no oversight. Local decision making in all aspects of management and ownership of facilities.

CG was under internal upper managerial oversight with centralised guidelines for operations etc.

Operationally, the ASR units were much more responsive without the burden of distant oversight.

Qld govt eventually started to provide funding for boats (big ticket items) for both. Previously that task was carried out locally by both ASR and CG via sponsorship and fundraising.

Having part govt funding in Qld looked attractive to similar organisations in other states who attempted to start up in Qld, obtain the subsidy and then funnel the subsidy money out of Qld and into that organisation's coffers for use in another state.

The individual ASR groups formed a loose alliance with each other and then a representative of that informal loose alliance began talks with CG with a view to talking to govt about funding. Probably in the mid 80s from memory.

As Qld govt funding improved, both organisations started to install extra units along coastline where presence wasn't really necessary in order to expand by promoting into funding.

Both ASR and CG were guilty of doing it by the early late 80s and early 90s. eg CG at Keppel Sands and Rockhampton city and ASR at Woodgate. I recall jokes made at the time about eventually having an ASR or CG unit at every boat ramp if the money didn't run out first.

In the mid 80s, the loose ASR name was considered no longer relevant and was changed to VMR (volunteer marine rescue) which was probably a more accurate generic description for both the ASR and CG.

The ASR people were happy to change with the idea being that if CG and ASR both started using the name VMR then the service on offer to the boating public would appear seamless and take away a lot of the confusion. Made sense.

CG wanted to keep its separate identity which it was entitled to do. Pity though.

I first started dealing with ASR and CG in 1971 at Southport.

The Southport Air Sea Rescue and Southport Coast Guard shared premises kindly offered by the Southport Yacht Club as radio control base facilities. CG (VJ4RE) had a room at the eastern end of SYC club building and ASR (VH4AO) occupied a caravan parked in the yard within 10 metres of the building. Severe and insurmountable radio interference reigned supreme due to proximity effects and I was given the job of talking to both camps with a view to sorting it out. Those talks resulted in a bit of common sense eventually emerging.

That was my first experience in how egos at "managerial level" could impact so adversely on common sense and jeopardise safety. I was to encounter a lot of that over the ensuing years so that Southport experience with volunteers was good preparation.

A classic case of over-servicing and egos.

As govt services in the rescue area improved in the 90s, we started to see re-defining of functions for firies, ambos, police, SES etc and streamling of rescue and safety operations Qld wide.

Maritime Safety Qld (MSQ) emerged in more recent times. It's a part of Qld Transport and now starting to take a increased interest in recreational boating safety etc since its commercial vessel responsibilities were relinquished to the federal govt.

Qld Transport has also taken a greater interest in vessel movements along the Qld coast and installed a series of link networks right along the Qld coast to monitor vessel movement. Both remotely controlled VHF marine radio and radar installations built on a backbone of broadband microwave links. A pretty big and expensive network.

The idea to be taken from the above is that there is a clear move by govt over the years to pick up responsibility for maritime safety services for recreational boating.

The govt is gradually moving into the space previously occupied by volunteers so rationalisation of services is inevitable.

The smart way is to first encourage both volunteer groups to do it themselves.

There are indeed egos in both the CG and the VMR areas involved who will certainly oppose any changes. One stumbling block is most certainly a loss of organisational identity.

Individuals in both camps do not wish to be a rooster one day and a feather duster the next.

There are corporate issues with the CG as a body incorporated in the ACT (from memory) and each VMR unit incorporated individually in Qld.

As delicate and as frustrating as negotiations might become, success can only be achieved when a coincidence of individual interests exceeds differences.

Forced amalgamation of CG and VMR is simply not an option for legal, corporate and political reasons.

The only course of action remaining then is for the Govt to do it all themselves.

I guess I should add, our "rescue service" is not like QLD in so much as there is no charge if you get towed home, regardless of how far or why, our service is entirely voluntary and relies of fund raising and sponsorship to operate. Most people who do get assistance offer a donation to cover costs, but it's not mandatory. The actual joining of the two groups was/is a far better operation than it was before, but, as I said before, it was not easy, quick or painless, there was stiff opposition for both sides, and some very bitter feuds, that said, seeing the end result, I would vote for amalgamation every time...good luck.

if you get towed home, regardless of how far or why, our service is entirely voluntary and relies of fund raising and sponsorship to operate.

Same in Qld and there is no mandatory charge.

Its only funding for big ticket capital equipment that's available. Operating costs remain responsibility of unit (fund raising and sponsorship).

By the mid 80s something had to change as some rescue units couldn't keep up the operational money supply.

In 1986, a RACQ/NRMA type of service was offered to local boaties by Bundaberg VMR. First such service in Qld by VMR or CG.

A $20 donation resulted in $200 worth of free on-water service for a year. $50 resulted in $500 service etc . 10 x donation was the original offer. Don't know what it is now. The scheme did not apply to "real rescues". Only tow jobs etc.

Any "real rescue" costs would be refunded via Qld police service but only if they authorised the job for safety of life reasons.

Who provides the "amalgamated" service in NSW, Noelm? (AVCG and Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol?)

I think the official name is simply "Coast Guard" I see the name ten times a week, but really don't take much notice of the name on the building! Something like VMR was mentioned to more or less align with QLD naming convention, but once again, egos got in the way and a shit fight raged for ages over the name, I think the old names were "volunteer coastal patrol" and "royal volunteer coast guard" or similar, it was a few years ago now.

Damn, it's got the better of me now, I will go for a drive to the harbour and look at the name.

Strange, I did some "googling" and they are listed as "Australian volunteer Coast Guard" but the sign on both facilities near me say "Marine Rescue Shellharbour" and the other one is "Marine Rescue Port Kembla" so without a bit of research it seems like a general state wide name, split into marine rescue area names.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1 View Post
    [COLOR=#0000ff][I]if you get towed home, regardless of how far or why, our service is entirely voluntary and relies of fund raising and
    I think you'll find that not to be the case. From experience being on a vessel that had to be towed into Urangan the VMR charge double the price of fuel used in the tow if not a member and of a member then the first $500 is waived. Another mate had a similar experience off 1770, plus others have related similar experiences.

Some interesting discussions and some follow through should occur here:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-v-Coast-Guard

Yep, a tow in fee at 1770 from out at the Islands is about $800. You are handed an invoice, if you don't pay it, you're just a mug.

I have membership and pay the extra $50/ year to get relief from full price tows.

Yep, some interesting comments above (y)

cheers

Call it MRQ. Marine Rescue Queensland. Coast Guard to me has connotations of armed men in boats guarding something or responding to a threat.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I do agree with the Coast Guard name sounding like a bunch of Americans with guns.