Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queenslanders and VMR....Coast Guard, What's doing ?

Re: Queenslanders and VMR....Coast Guard, What's doing ?

How about "Australian Volunteer Coast Guard" with each flotilla/squadron/area having its own VMR/MR plus it's area name, that way it might be a start towards a standard nationwide naming convention, as long as the "egos" don't get their undies in a twist following NSW naming!

I just want one body to pay one membership to. Currently a Coast Guard membership holder but sick of having to see if CG or VMR cover the areas where I holiday, then get told no reciprocal deals anyway. Who really wants multiple membership! Annual cost is $115 and free towing from up to 100 odd km.

I volunteered for years to support my local CG at their annual fundraiser. Would also have done it if they were VMR.

Fellas

Representatives of both the AVCGA (Peter Smith) and the loose association of ASR's (Harry Hubner) occupied the same office in Brisbane for a few years. Forget which govt body gave them space.

The idea was that each group had equal representation in talks. I was the national comms officer for both at the time and also worked for ACA (ACMA as its now known) through various Qld regional areas and the s/e corner.

Another ACA guy called Boyd Rayment from Brisbane ACA and I teamed up to rationalise the AVCGA and ASR groups operations a bit. The way both operated was too bloody confusing for the boating public.

Because Boyd and I were involved with international obligations of radiocom matters, we had some room to manoeuvre with a radiocom matters which centre-pinned their alerting and operational roles.

Boyd had a boat in Moreton Bay and went fishing. I drove the Bundaberg ASR 8.8m Pacific Cat rescue boat called "Bundy Rum" (what else). That was our respective interest.

I was also V/P of Bundy VMR at the time and then took on a commander role for the AVCG further north. I also cordinated, organised (and installed in some cases), the VHF marine repeater network.

With actual work (you know, the stuff somebody is paying you to do) thrown in, some days (and nights) got a bit busy.

The international c/sign allocations for the s/w pacific region all started with V (including Aus). The second letter allocation was basically up to the ACA (a bit of local policy did exist). the third symbol was the state.

So VH4 AO meant s/w pacific, the 4 meant Qld Aus and the other 2 we didn't care about. So we had the option of putting our own callsign allocations together and we decided to combine them.

Boyd could sell icecream to eskimos so sold the AVCGA and the ASR guys the term Volunteer Marine Rescue (VMR). The ASR guys jumped onboard straight away and simply called themselves that (registered the name I think).

AVCGA was still thinking about it and Harry jumped the gun with the name.

Boyd and I weren't worried about that (at least we had one win).

What it meant was that we simply changed their official c/signs on their radio licences to start with VMR. AVCGA was easy. VMR for first 3 letters, then a 4 for Qld and the last 2 letters was taken from their flotilla number.

Example Yeppoon Coast Guard used to be VJ4YN. It was also flotilla number 11 in Qld. We changed it and it became VMR411.

Changing the c/sign was simply our way of giving a message to each rescue group management. The poor old boating public (especially visiting boaties) had no idea who VMR411 was (or VJ4YN for that matter). Could be the water coppers or the local yabbie pumper club for they knew.

Mostly the management of each got the message though which was stop the fueding with each other and think about the people you are supposed to be helping. Change the operating style.

I kept drumming into the groups on visits to simply use VMR and the place. eg VMR Yeppoon. That made sense. But no. They wanted to use Coast Guard Yeppoon to maintain their identity separation.

At least from a boaties point of view he knew that there was a coast guard at Yeppoon. I'd have preferred that the boatie simply knew that there was a maritime rescue station at Yeppoon. That's all he/she wanted to know. "Is there a maritime safety group nearby that I can call if I get into trouble." Once again, the boatie didn't care if it was the local yabbie pumpers. As long as they answered and did something. But I was happy enough to go along with it.

Mostly, it was only the rescue groups at bigger places that provided radiocom service during the week . eg Southport,

Before the AVCGA and VMR bases got going properly, the a/hours (including weekdays) rescue safety service was provided from private residences. Mainly the lady of the house. In between bathing the kids and peeling the spuds, they'd handle a mayday call or similar.

Salt of the earth stuff. In some cases I was able to get the wives to stop the men being so bloody argumentive about things.

So that was how the VMR stuff started. It was in Qld and a fair while ago.

The identity separation issue that exists within AVCGA management is going to be the main sticking point in any proposed amalgamation or more cooperative relationship.

Those crisp white uniforms with epaulettes and caps are seductive to egos. Saw one of the commanders in his white uniform, cap and polished shoes get carried down a boat ramp and deposited into the rescue boat once. Couldn't believe it but I saw it happen.

I wore a uniform for 2 years, 12 days, 3 hours and 4 minutes a long time ago and vowed not to wear another. and didn't even at work. The only exception was working at the Sydney Olympics or not get to work there.

I was happy to work on AVCGA and VMR stuff surrounded by what appeared to be some sort of army. Fella told me that I was easy to identify due to my lack of identification.

Good luck with any amalgamation.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    I just want one body to pay one membership to. Currently a Coast Guard membership holder but sick of having to see if CG or VMR cover the areas where I holiday, then get told no reciprocal deals anyway. Who really wants multiple membership! Annual cost is $115 and free towing from up to 100 odd km.

I volunteered for years to support my local CG at their annual fundraiser. Would also have done it if they were VMR.
    Well said...I think one membership like RACQ is all everybody wants...

Depending on which direction I head when leaving the local ramp I will be fishing in one of 3 different local VMR jurisdictions...

You cant seriously expect me to join all three just to cover my bases..

Edit...our subscription is due for renewal so the missus talked to someone at Cardwell VMR who insinuated that there is a reciprocal agreement for VMR In FNQ between Cooktown and Townsville so that membership of one covers all...

Yes, if you talk to them that will often be the response but a mate found out that when it came to the crunch it wasn't the case. This was Central Coast area. Shame really as we could have a really great network, unfortunately quite a few egos will get bruised. Already seen an article in the Courier Mail (I really try to avoid this paper) where I think it was Hervey Bay said they were totally against it, one reason quoted was that they would lose resources like boats to other orgs. Where the hell that thought came from, anyone knows.

Unfortunately that's how it will be, it's never seen as combining into one decent well run entity, it's always a take over, and everyone will take their bat and ball and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Yes, if you talk to them that will often be the response but a mate found out that when it came to the crunch it wasn't the case. This was Central Coast area.
    I sure hope I find thats not the case up here...locally we also have the challenge that the 3 VMRs to the south are all tide restricted...We basically have Tully Heads,Cardwell and Lucinda that cant send out a boat on the bottom half of the tide...

The local fella that was bitten earlier in the week by the Bull shark probably only survived because it happened on the higher end of the tide and they were able to make it to the ramp and paramedics in quick fashion.....

Wow good luck with that Phil it makes good sense to get the 2 together but I think the old stubborn skippers that could not splice 2 ropes together will not give up there positions to easy when some blue collar worker tells them its all going to change ,a small fee on the boat regos would be ok because some one in some department will have to over see things.

All VMR groups in Qld are incorporated in Qld. VMR is run from the bottom up.

AVCGA groups in Qld are all part or the AVCGA national body which is incorporated in the ACT. AVCGA is run from the top down.

Both are basically companies with assets. $millions.

Take over of one by the other? Won't/can't happen even if Qld govt directs it.

A Qld govt takeover of either or both? Won't/can't happen.

The only way to improve the safety service on offer to the public means that the 2 organisations have to adopt a more cooperative apprach with each other.

Qld govt Maritime Safety Qld (MSQ) needs to be the honest broker. MSQ role is unlikely to be successful as they've only recently become in recreational boating matters. Before that they were responsible for commercial shipping matters.

MSQ has neither the experience, history or "bed-side" manner to deal with volunteers on an issue like this.

If the recreational boaties had an organisation capable of talking with AVCGA and VMR, something cooperative might be put together.

But they don't at this stage.

If govt starts taking a directive approach then (as Noelm says), the volunteer groups will take their bats and balls and go home leaving the govt to provide the service at considerable expense to taxpayers.

The groups own the assets. Buildings, bases, equipment boats etc.

AVCGA can send their assets (where they can be moved) to AVCG units other states or sell them.

VMR can sell their assets to whoever they like.

In the meantime (in order to improve the service), there's nothing to stop any of you guys approaching the 2 different groups (separately at first) explaining the problems and what could be done to improve things.

Some things can be done by each group individually and some things may require joint action and therefore joint cooperation.

Anybody up for it?

I nominate Phil, all in favour, say aye...........

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I nominate Phil, all in favour, say aye...........
    uummmmm Thanks Noel. But nah. yeah. nah

I have started the ball rolling and this will come to light before Christmas I hope.

If, as Ronje1 says, it will never happen, then I suppose the best we can hope for is reciprocal membership.

I still believe there are numerous funding options to achieve much better outcomes for the boating public.

Maybe it will take a multi million catastrophe ( law suit ) to shake things up ?

There is no doubt, our VMR and CG are first responders in emergencies, all done without Government management. Are they the only emergency service not controlled by Government / managed by Government ? They just might be an anomaly and something that needs to be looked at by Govt in respect of management, funding, policy etc.

I personally do not want to see these groups fall to any Government Management, as then funds available reduce substantially, due to " management costs ". Then we have the issue of paid employees and all the costs associated with that.

I just like the idea of loggin on and off with a simple VHF call. Tell 'em your call sing ( boat name ), they punch it into their data base and all is good. Simply use 2 channels and one handle , be it VMR or Coast Guard followed by the station / ramp area you left from .

Example is, when I log on at 1770.:-

"Marine Rescue Round Hill , Marine Rescue Round Hill, Marine Rescue Round Hill, this is Rebait, Rebait on 82 "

They respond and I say " This is Rebait, Could you place me on your log, I have 2 POB, departing estuary now, heading to Lady Musgrave, ETR 1600hrs ".

They respond and that's it. All info is at hand and it takes 30 seconds............... or less.

I will add, some peoples efforts in loggin on are mind-blowingly painful

So, it seems we have another 4 years of Anna Mk 2. Wondering if there will be some positive changes to Fisheries, MSQ and more, to appease us boating / fishing public ?

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

It's well worth at least a go at suggesting amalgamation, it probably won't get up, but to not even try is worse (in my opinion) maybe some "blackmail" tactics, suggesting that non amalgamation could result in a total Government/Council take over and all the above mentioned problems will surface, no one can take their bat and ball and go home, because the governing body will take all their toys?

In the words of china's first chairman Mao Tse-Tung

" It won't fall if you don't hit it".

Translation is "nothing will change unless you do something about it".

The govt can't "take their toys" 'cos the groups legally own them.

These groups are aware of the reciprocal membership issues. You don't have to be a member of every group that supplies service. They already supply the service alright.

These guys aren't stupid. They have stuff in place already for lots of the stuff raised on this thread.

Go and talk to them and get the facts about issues that you raise.

Why don't you guys nominate a list of what concerns you have about the issues.?

Somebody can take those issues to each group. Where there are common positive answers, the issue is solved. It just needs to be publicised.

On issues where there are no common answers, work needs to be done.

The problem with this forum is to find that "somebody" to kick things off.

I'm happy to do it if nobody wants to put their hand up.

Lets get the list rolling first. The "somebody" can be arranged in parallel.

How much state funding do these individual units receive? Are they 100% self funded through donations and fund raising?

If a newly named body such as MRQ was to be raised with the promise of a steady revenue stream and reciprocal services across units and a big chunk of one or the other refused to join, surely they would start to die on the vine?

if such an arrangement was in place and I had the choice of two units, with my membership to 1 also giving me services through other flotillas in the state and the other a single area service. I know which one I am going to join.

with a group arrangement like that, it would also ensure better funding for the regional units. As the more densely populated units would have much higher membership their needs would get fulfilled more quickly with overflows allowed to be redistributed to the less populous members units surely?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Here's a concern Roni marine rescue skippers that can't rescue a boat in 8 foot of water when there rescue boat only draws 4 foot incompetence dose not rescue people , I assisted the boat with Vsheet waving around and when the rescue boat arrived I had to tow the boat to deeper water for the vmr to tow them back I just should of towed them in,to many people onboard decsusing how to do it and know one capable of doing in i would not like to pay for that.