Classifieds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting rods in the boat

Re: Transporting rods in the boat

That idea sounds like a cracker Chris.
    I have been pondering on this very subject since the post started.
    It's definitely not an issue while out on the water, for me it's purely loading the boat up for the short or long haul.
    Would love to make up something like you have done, but for me it can be up to 4-5 rods of different sizes. I also have a fitted boat cover which I use for long hauls, ie Ede, 8-9 hours.
    Standing on them like it was mentioned above would be my nightmare
    So I'm going to make up something, which can lay flat out back on the deck area, which will lock all the rods and reels securely for any traveling, but then once I'm on the water or after launching, I Simply put them in various rod holders. I'll make it, so it is two piece and be able to store them easily in my cuddy Cabin.
    I'm on to this..........

Col

My 543SF has plenty of storage - horizontal and vertical. Moved into a new house a little while ago after 20 odd years at the previous and yep - one lapse of concentration has seen the demise of my beloved 15 YO Egrell S10. Forgot to take the bloody thing out of the vertical rod holder backing the boat through the garage to the back yard storage. Still crying about it.

LOL, I can relate to that Greg.
    After coming back to the ramp once, I removed all the rods, lay them down etc. Some how, it got un noticed, all the way to the boat wash place at a servo, Heard something as I drove in to the actual wash bay, noticed while washing, I'd left 1 rod in the rocket launcher, smashed the tip of the rod clean off !!! Idiot I mumbled. But it wasn't am expensive one at all.
    Now, I'm anal as hell about making sure all the rods are out of the damn rocket launcher before driving off.......

Col

With a centre console i have four rod holder screwed to either side of the console and can carry eight Rods comfortably and safely , but when targa goes up have to lay some of them down..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    With a centre console i have four rod holder screwed to either side of the console and can carry eight Rods comfortably and safely , but when targa goes up have to lay some of them down..
    Yep, that's exactly my issue, with my travel cover on......
    What I'm actually planning at the minute, is 2 separate pieces of timber, which hook over my side panels securely, but can be positioned at any distance apart, With rod holding securing clips positioned on the front face, kind of like a horizontal version of a rod storage rack. With the whole idea being, that the two Clamp type set ups, simply get stored easily after there used. But it should be a secure method of storing the rods while driving. With a wingnut fixing set up, which will be easy to fit and remove, to really secure it and clamp it, it can slot over my ply carpeted side panels. Being clamped, The backing board of this system, can go down near to the floor and higher that the actual side pocket, mine will be about 500mm high. Hard to explain, but I'll post up some " prototypes, when I get a chance...
    Now I bet, this idea has already been tried, packaged and now for sale, I just haven't seen anything out there that fit's the bill...

Col

Four rod holders down each side of boat and another four around the engine well. Then two sets of rocket launchers on ttop front and back gives me ten on top. When travelling to and from ramp i place everything on the seadeck floor.