Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting rods in the boat

Transporting rods in the boat

How does everybody store and transport rods in your boat. Mine generally stayed rigged up and lying down in the pockets, but worried that the reels are getting to knocked around.

Interested what you do???

Re: Transporting rods in the boat

On my boat, I have 8 rod holders on the transom and the rods are strapped down using Occy straps so they don't bounce around or out.

In all my years of boating I still haven't been able to crack the code when it comes to rod storage

my Barcrusher has come the closest - 6 in the rocket launcher & 4 in a movable upright holder ( still not perfect ) so that's 10 rigged rods that are out of the way when fishing . I also have 2 or 3 rods under the gunnels ( bait rod , jig outfit or spares).
    I also have 4 holders in the bait station .... which I use when transiting from one spot to the next ...... these are rods that i'm mainly using
    ( typically 2-3 when solo fishing) .

The hassell ..... is at the end of the day when travelling home - I really can only keep 7 rods in the boat ( under gunnels & 4 in the upright . ) sometimes I do envy those guys in the bass boats with a bucket load of rods n their lockers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Buggered if i know why but i always take more rods than i need!! I can keep 7 across the transom (holders on the bait station and the rear corners). I reserve these spots for the expensive stuff and/or outfits with a bit of mass which tend to jump about a bit upstairs. Bent butt game fishing gear with big gold reals normally goes in the cabin in top of the infill/bunks. Regular ouftfit overflow goes into the rocket launcher, if its bumpy they go in cabin as well. If there 2 people in the boat for an overnighter there's normally 8 to 12 rods. Transom at gunnel height is the go for smooth ride and lowish down so bumps dont get amplified i recon. Rocket launcher is the wildest ride in my rig. I'm not a fan of side pocket storage for rods as t much stuff in mine to damage them.
    Scott

Long rods in the launcher, anything that will fit in there goes down one side of the half cab, any overflow in the baitboard - which is also the only place I have ever lost a rod from (2) during a bar crossing while going more or less vertical but we won't talk about that . Gunwales are ok when it's calm but when it's choppy the reels get drowned. To and from the ramp - usually a 5 minute 60k zone drive, they lean against the rear lounge padded backrest. On the highway they get secured.

ppppppppppppppppppppp

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For me, 6 in the rocket launcher and 4 in the lean to seat which are usually the heaviest outfits. I try to limit to 10 maximum these days and even then feel it’s an overkill.
    Matilda

I at least feel a bit better that I'm not the only one that struggle with this. Once out in the boat it is not too bad as put 6 up in the rocket launcher and a couple across the back of the bait board given we sometimes are 4 up with the wife and 2 kids. More an issue for me transporting to and from the ramp given it is a 4-5 hour drive each way. Think I might have to start breaking down at the end of each trip which might also make me give them a good wash down with fresh water.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_III View Post
    I at least feel a bit better that I'm not the only one that struggle with this. Once out in the boat it is not too bad as put 6 up in the rocket launcher and a couple across the back of the bait board given we sometimes are 4 up with the wife and 2 kids. More an issue for me transporting to and from the ramp given it is a 4-5 hour drive each way. Think I might have to start breaking down at the end of each trip which might also make me give them a good wash down with fresh water.
    4-5 hours each way.........that's dedication right there. Easier to just move house

usually there's only 7 rods on my boat, 6 for a variety of offshore work and 1 for bait jigging, it lives in the cabin. For travelling on the bitumen I use reel covers, buy them BCF or other stores as it saves them being knocked around. Three rods lie on one of the bunks but I keep them separated throw a blanket or towel on top of them and then the others can lie on the other bunk and where they cross over near the bow they are protected from the rods and tips clashing.

ppppppppppppppp

If your rods aren't too long, vertical racks along the side pockets work pretty well. Downside of course is that at some stage, they will draw blood. If your rods are long though, they will get shortened by overhanging trees etc. Depending on your cockpit lay out another option would be a removable forward facing rack across the transom coaming for transport.

I have managed to put a rod holder up against my live bait tank for when I'm on the water and they don't intrude into the cockpit but while on the road still no easy way to carry them.

I guess it depends on how many options you want when out on the water.

I'm an estuary person these days so don't need as many options as I probably would if outside.

I take 3 maximum if alone (2 x spinners and a b/caster) and 2 if another person ( 1 x spinner and 1 x b/caster) making max of 4.

To/from the ramp, the rods are in the car. Safer from harm than in the boat.

Out in boat, my biggest concern is:

.standing on rods; and

. being stored in such a way that the damned things get in the way when I've got a fish on.

Storing vertically (rod holders or similar) not an option for me with a 4.5m boat. A big enough fish will take you twice around the boat when close in.

Storing horizontally up off floor works ok by using a couple of straps each side ( about 1m apart lengthwise) above the side pockets allowing rods to be horizontal and up off floor.

One end of strap fixed up under gunwale and other end with a hook on it so rods can be held in the loop formed when the loose hook end is hooked back up under gunwale.

When I built my boat I put in rod benches full length to take a fly rod so other spin cast rods fit off the deck and out of the spray.