Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Back end!!!

Re: Heavy Back end!!!

That sure is sitting down in the stern and I doubt very much whether fixing the transom was the issue as that is like adding another 120 kg or more. It's almost like water got trapped under the floor during the repair process through rain and has been sealed in there. Or the apprentice left half the repairers tools in there when the new floor went on. A 75 2 stroker should be absolutely fine for that boat.

You almost certainly have water stuck in that hull that boat is sitting way too low right over the whole hulls length

Maybe when u had the transom done and they cut your floor and stringers forward they have glassed over your drainage.. simply put they ...... up!

I have had 2 boats take on water 9ne of those had a 100÷ underfloor cavity filled with water and i can say your hull is well over 50% full of water

Where is your fuel carried and how much is there? Are there bungs into the air chambers down either side? Are you familiar with the under floor layout - were there drain holes? These hulls do sit fairly deep but not to that extent. It's either that or you have the worlds strongest transom .

pppppppppppppppp

Id say they double sheeted the transom theres not much beam in those boats and the extra weight of a other sheet of ply especially if they use 20mm ply thats another 15ot20kg in ply its all up in the air when you have not done it yourself and don't know what's gone on in restoring it they might have relocated the fuel tank the filler might be in the same spot but the tank might be moved behind a frame instead of in front of it as Blacklab said it don't look right,i ve seen some over kill in refurbishing boats here so you never know.

now i know how to post photos here.

the fuel tank has always been a 40 litre above floor at the rear of the boat. did ask for an underfloor tank when doing stringers but he didnt want to stuff around with the engineering of stringers??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nealeboy View Post
    now i know how to post photos here.

the fuel tank has always been a 40 litre above floor at the rear of the boat. did ask for an underfloor tank when doing stringers but he didnt want to stuff around with the engineering of stringers??
    That was probably the first hint that maybe you should have checked out another repairer. Adding an underfloor fuel tank would have been a breeze and shifted weight forward. The transom thickness is fine.

can anyone recommend a company to put in a under floor fuel tank for a 16C Haines?

Before you do a fuel tank maybe consider an inspection port in the deck so you know if you have a water ballast issue.
    https://www.boataccessoriesaustralia...full-cover-lid like this.
    What could go wrong.......................

ppppppppppppppppp

Hmm! Had the same thought and thought I'd posted it but forgot, getting old does that apparently.

I wrote it days ago in another post and hit the wrong key and lost it and though Not retyping it someone else will suggest it but I weakened as time passed.
    I know your pain Dignity!
    What could go wrong.......................

Have you tried to get the boat weighed on the trailer to see if it is significantly heavier than it should be? Another thing to try would be to drill a series of small holes in the floor and stick a inspection camera through the holes to see what is under the floor. The cameras nowadays are very small so a 8mm hole should do and could be easily repaired afterwards without visible repairs showing, start at the transom end and and one on each each side, check then drill another set working forward, the camera should tell you how far to drill the next set of holes forward and also if there are any drainage holes present next to the stringers, if there are than you can skip forward a cross section, that should reveal if you had any water under the floor which I suspect you might have.

Nealboy, do you happen to have photos of yhe boat in the water pre new transom. It will give you (and us) a point of comparison and maybe it will give you some ammunition ti go back to the original repairer to have a really good look at it although I suspect if he does the shoulder shrug before you will just have to accept you were taken for a bit of a ride.
    Now I know bugger all about moisture meters but building inspectors use some pretty fancy ones and it may pay to just talk to one and see if that is a way forward to determine whether water/rain was the culprit. After all as Gazza here knows, leave it out in the rain and you will get an awful lot of water in the hull. They could have had the floor down ready for glassing in, it was outside a storm came through and it filled up. The photos you posted aren't clear whether the cross members had drainage in them.

I grew up with a Haines V16C. It had a 75hp Evinrude, 45 litre alloy tank above deck under motor well and one battery in transom. Even with dad and I fishing in the back corners it didn’t sit like yours. I reckon the suggestions of water trapped are worth having a good look at. Install some stainless spin outs so you can get a good loo inside the hull.