Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Back end!!!

Heavy Back end!!!

Has anyone else experienced a heavy back end after getting the transom redone? and if so, did you do anything to compensate for it.

i have a 16' Haines half cabin and i got the transom, floor and stringers replaced a few years back. before the repair, my 75 merc 2 stroke was not a problem. after the repair, the back end was a fair bit lower and the top exhausts of the motor was constantly going under water making the motor run rough. i rehomed my 2 batteries from the back to the front but still the same. boat repairer said there is nothing i can do. any tips???

Re: Heavy Back end!!!

Be pretty unusual to use so much material rebuilding a transom that the boat is now stern heavy, are you sure it's different now? maybe you just noticed it now because it's new?

Could the motor be mounted lower?

Is it possible to see a before and after picture

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

It is because you now have the full weight of the motor plus the engine pod further out from the transom, to give you an example only, if before you did the pod extension you balanced the boat on a single point in the water that pivot point might have been about 2.5m ( just as an example) from the end of the transom, it is similar to a seesaw. So by extending the pod and engine setup, the pivot point moves closer to the transom from where it was before.

By adding the pod you now have extended the weight of the motor and the weight of the pod minus any bouyancy that the pod may give, further out past the transom. So the effect is that the font of the boat lifts higher and the transom now sits lower in the water as it doesn't have enough buoyancy to lift up the weight which used to sit on the transom, so leverage like on a seesaw comes into effect. It is a bit like 3 guys sitting in a small tinny and they all sitting on the back seat, the only way to balance the boat now is to get 1 or 2 of them to move forward.

So as I see it, you have to add much more weight to the front of the boat or add more flotation to the back of the boat to compensate and balance the extended weight. Since the pod is already designed and fitted then that is out of the question.

When extended pods first became popular there was a lot of trial and error implementing them, some worked okay and some of them were disastrous, they generally also changed the handling characteristics of the boat when underway. So adding a pod sometimes created more problems than benefits.

There's a pod?

Ooops, I goofed, I misread the post and thought the issue was with adding a pod, my bad!!

So getting back to the issue, has the boat always seemed heavier after they repaired it, if that is the case it may be that the repairer used more glass or heavier timber for the rebuild which added more weight, if it is recent then you may have water leaking into a sealed compartment under the floor and it isn't draining when you pull the bungs.

Another possibility is that after the transom rebuild, the repairer didn't put the motor at the same height where it was previously and it may need to be raised higher and so it might look like the boat is heavier as the motor is down deeper.

sorry no in the water before and after photos. i have attached a pic of an after pic in the water though. the motor has since been raised the next mount hole higher. it certainly is a weight issue as the old transom was almost non existent when replaced. Attachment 122413

i even tried taking 4 20 litre water container full and placed at the bow of the cabin but not much difference.

yeah ever since the transom rebuild it has been heavier.
    before rebuild i never had an issue apart from water leaking through old transom, but motor and boat performed well. boat mechanic has said the motor runs rough when the top exhausts are covered due to back pressure. once on the plane it is ok, no problem.

I get an invalid attachment message when clicking on your link.

They might have put in heaver stringers and transom material and put in extra glass and resin and the original boat would have been done with a chopper gun. so less resin, if you have a leak some were you might have water court in your outside stringers may be!!!!!.

Attachment 122414

not sure why it didnt work? try this.

Read these please

What could go wrong.......................

Nope, still no go, could be a corrupt image.