Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Back end!!!

Re: Heavy Back end!!!

The problem i see is you're going to open a big can of worms

Those stringers look really dark for a well lit shop, if your going to hog out the keel stringer the boat may loose some integrity thats why i think the transom rebuilder didnt want to install the underfloor tank

The keel is a back bone of a hull its the strongest section of a boat now if old mate cuts that keel stringer out he would be liable for the integrity of all the underfloor structure when all he wants to do is the transom

That is a big liability.

Looks like the boat rebuilder didnt install drain holes maybe again he didnt want to install drain hoes in existing untouched work

I think your two side box sections above the chines are filled with water i only believe this as it appears they can both hold enough water to make it your boat sit how it sits and that amount of weightup the front

I would roll under your splash well and drill a 10mm hole on the top of those side box sections and put the camera scope in there to see

Zoomed in on your picture it appears the transom guy has left a existing amount of inner transom tabbing this imo should have all been removed

Maybe what is happening your getting water through the two hull joints top and bottom where the hull seems/glues together and its running down the inside left and right corners of the transom filling inside those two compartments mentioned in my last post

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The problem i see is you're going to open a big can of worms

Those stringers look really dark for a well lit shop, if your going to hog out the keel stringer the boat may loose some integrity thats why i think the transom rebuilder didnt want to install the underfloor tank

The keel is a back bone of a hull its the strongest section of a boat now if old mate cuts that keel stringer out he would be liable for the integrity of all the underfloor structure when all he wants to do is the transom

That is a big liability.
    Gazza, sorry but that is s lot of hogwash, how do you think underfloor tanks are built in millions of boats?
    Proper boxing including a smaller keel stringer (and actually if designed correctly it i'snt needed)works everytime.
    The rest of your idea has some merit.

thanks for everyones input.
    i will endeavour to inspect under the floor by installing inspection holes. last night i raised the bow of the boat considerably, then took out the transom bungs, which i do after every trip and have no water come out. there is no visible signs of any water ingress in there. it still smells like new fibreglass. (i have put up with this problem for 5 years now since the rebuild) i could see the 1st cross member which had a drain hole on each side of the keel stringer.

hi Gazza. is this where you are meaning to drill the holes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neal

Congrats on the photos!!

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Neal, I would start in the floor of the bilge, it is currently where your fuel tank sits so a repair there would be unnoticeable, I reckon start with one on the starboard side of the keel stringer and you should strike oil, I mean water.

Digs what i meant were if the repairer pulled out the keel stringer and left the existing old stringers and the boat were to snap in half he would be liable for the adjustment

If he were to glass in a wholenew bulkhead and stringer system without the keel its 100% hes work and its fresh material which likely wouldnt fail

Would you be able to hear water sloshing around if it was trapped in there by shaking the boat on the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Would you be able to hear water sloshing around if it was trapped in there by shaking the boat on the trailer?

can we please get to this point already? Were 4 pages into this and we haven’t been able to determine if the fat arse is coming from the most logical, simple and easiest to ascertain reason for said fat arse.

OP, please go shake your boat and tell us all of you hear water sloshing around in it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

i know your problem , it was paddy the irish shipwright, he done double the transom and stringers,
    too be sure , to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    can we please get to this point already? Were 4 pages into this and we haven’t been able to determine if the fat arse is coming from the most logical, simple and easiest to ascertain reason for said fat arse.

OP, please go shake your boat and tell us all of you hear water sloshing around in it.
    Nah let’s go blow some holes in it .

If water is draining into a cavity from top to bottom its likely full and you'll have hardly any chance to hear it slosh water will displace air

If tge water is coming up from the bottom there may be a chance of an air pocket but good luck tryibg to tilt a 5 meter hull quick enough to hear it slosh

It probably has a lot more towball weight too

I think it’s been mentioned before, but that is all you should have to do, to give you some idea. Go and weigh the boat, motor, trailer (BMT)

Then find out the weights of each part of your BMT and this will give you somewhere to start

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I would say a fair chance that the engine is now mounted lower than it was on the old transom.

Do this test:

Find a nice smooth stretch of water in a river etc. Take one other responsible adult with you who can drive the boat ....

Launch and then get up on the plane at a medium/fast cruise speed. Trim the engine out to where she runs best.

Now, get your crew member to hold the wheel and keep things straight while you go down to the back and look over at the leg of the engine. You are looking for the Anti-ventilation plate (sometimes mistakenly called the cavitation plate), its the large plate directly above the prop.

If its skimming along the surface getting splashed that shows the engine height is perfect. But if its buried in the solid flow of water from under the hull, and you cant see it, the engine is set too deep, and needs to be lifted up until the plate skims along as previously described.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....