Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I find research data on fish measurements ???

Where can I find research data on fish measurements ???

I found it hard to compose the thread title, so congratulations for making it this far

What I'm after is some data on our bread-and-butter species in Qld, with respect to their length, height, girth, weight etc.

My suspicion is that there may be research data like this that exists, but I have run out of search ideas - so far I've come up with nothing.

I'm hoping someone on AusFish might have a clue, maybe a connection with a tagging program or the like. Anyway, if you have a suggestion, or a contact, or even some data, please let me know.

Thanks, Steve.

PS: I suppose you're wondering, so I'll say I want the info to help design a piece of fishing apparatus. It's just a concept at the moment, and I'm stuck in bed recovering from surgery, so it's helping me pass the time. Cheers.Fig-A1-Conceptual-illustration-of-morphoanatomical-measurements-conducted-on-each-fish.png

Re: Where can I find research data on fish measurements ???

Hey Steve you can google fisheries qld for size and bag limit of species, it may become a bit more diffuclt for those that fish on the australian boarders as different states have different sizes

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Fisheries Queensland has a plethora of information, data, research, graphs, pie charts etc..........

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...search/centres is a good start

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Every ANSA club should have a length to weight lookup table for all the species in their competition. If you PM me what you want to do with the data I'll find out about getting one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Every ANSA club should have a length to weight lookup table for all the species in their competition. If you PM me what you want to do with the data I'll find out about getting one for you.
    Yeah I reckon that would be my first stop, lots of fish weights are estimated from measurements when weighing is not feasible.

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

pppppppppppppppp

Thanks for the responses guys - they're not what I'm chasing, and that's my fault for not being more specific.

I'm particularly interested in sample measurements of commonly-caught species, in particular length, height and width.

And thanks for the well wishes, yes being laid up is a real PITA

Cheers, Steve.

Unsure of what you want to do with the data 'cos that will determine what sort of data that you need eg scientific or otherwise.

I do know that research has been carried out on some of the species depending on its value to the commercial fishery like barramundi, prawns, mud crabs etc.

Tagging records will give u length and time data to give an indication of growth rates etc.

If you are looking for proper research data, then the Fisheries Research Development Corp (FRDC - a commonwealth funded organisation) hands out lots of grant money for projects. Mostly to research groups, individuals, universities or state govts for those purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzawookooka View Post
    I found it hard to compose the thread title, so congratulations for making it this far

What I'm after is some data on our bread-and-butter species in Qld, with respect to their length, height, girth, weight etc.

My suspicion is that there may be research data like this that exists, but I have run out of search ideas - so far I've come up with nothing.

I'm hoping someone on AusFish might have a clue, maybe a connection with a tagging program or the like. Anyway, if you have a suggestion, or a contact, or even some data, please let me know.

Thanks, Steve.

PS: I suppose you're wondering, so I'll say I want the info to help design a piece of fishing apparatus. It's just a concept at the moment, and I'm stuck in bed recovering from surgery, so it's helping me pass the time. Cheers.Fig-A1-Conceptual-illustration-of-morphoanatomical-measurements-conducted-on-each-fish.png
    Do you want to make a fish trap?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1 View Post
    Unsure of what you want to do with the data 'cos that will determine what sort of data that you need eg scientific or otherwise.

I do know that research has been carried out on some of the species depending on its value to the commercial fishery like barramundi, prawns, mud crabs etc.

Tagging records will give u length and time data to give an indication of growth rates etc.

If you are looking for proper research data, then the Fisheries Research Development Corp (FRDC - a commonwealth funded organisation) hands out lots of grant money for projects. Mostly to research groups, individuals, universities or state govts for those purposes.
    I'm just looking for typical length to max. height to max. width type measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Do you want to make a fish trap?????????
    No, I'm actually toying with an alternative to a landing net - maybe something that's a bit more family/amateur friendly.

Tried Google scholar ? Didn't know about it myself until last year. A lot of research paper type stuff there.

Thanks Bazzawookooka

I think the person that you need to contact is Bill Sawynok of Infofish Services.

He's the guy who runs the fish tagging system in Qld (mainly).

I know that he doesn't collect the type of info that you're after but he will know of anybody who does.

Bill's contact a/d is........ bill@infofishaustralia.com