Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transducer recommendation for HDS unit

Transducer recommendation for HDS unit

Hi all

Have a HDS Live head unit currently using a 3-in-1 transducer. Looking for a recommendation of what transducer to use? Is it work going a dedicated CHIRP transducer or just sticking with the 3-in-1?

Most of my ifshing is either offshore in waters up to 50 metres at the moment or sometimes a play in the river or bay.

Thanks
    Mark

Re: Transducer recommendation for HDS unit

Hi

I don't have the expertise to offer advice on the better transducer to use in deeper water and will leave that to others

- however the HDS 'Live' has the capability to display 2 transducers at the same time - through Source 1 and 2. you can leave the 3-in-1 in place and mount another transducer for deeper work

cheers
    steve

BUMP

HTML Code:
    I don't have the expertise to offer advice on the better transducer to use in deeper water and will leave that to others
    Any advice for the OP?

Given the indication of fishing in water up to about 50m and in bays, there are some CHIRP options to consider and they vary greatly in price.

i have a TM150m CHIRP transducer plugged i to my HDS gen 3 and have great results in those depths and even out as deep as 80m. 300W transmit power. Cost about $300

A excellent and more powerful option, although its a thru hull, would be a SS75H . 600W transmit and about $700. Great bottom detail and discrimination, ideal for reef fishing.. Not a wide cone though so not ideal for searching for midwater pelagics, you are better with HW model if they are your targets. ,
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks Steve and Moonlighter

I run the 3 in 1 for shallow water and chirp SS75M for reef fishing and am very happy with this combo through my HDS 12 live.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Blue View Post
    chirp SS75M for reef fishing
    HTML Code:

although its a thru hull, would be a SS75H . 600W transmit and about $700. Great bottom detail and discrimination, ideal for reef fishing.. Not a wide cone though so not ideal for searching for midwater pelagics, you are better with HW model if they are your targets. ,

the effective difference between the M and the H do my head in ..

I understand that the high is meant to give better bottom definition, however what's it like on the sounder screen - does someone have a screen shot of both over the same target?

and the 'M' what's it strengths?
    dammed confused

I can’t describe an accurate comparison. I was originally going to purchase the H from Blue Bottle Marine at the Brisbane Boat Show but the salesman put up such a convincing argument I purchased the M. The M will work deeper and the 3 in 1 is fine for shallower water.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Blue View Post
    I can’t describe an accurate comparison. I was originally going to purchase the H from Blue Bottle Marine at the Brisbane Boat Show but the salesman put up such a convincing argument I purchased the M. The M will work deeper and the 3 in 1 is fine for shallower water.
    What was the convincing argument he put up?

If you have a genuine dual channel unit, the existing transducer may already contain a high frequency element. To run another high frequency along side will create a noise issue thus requiring the first channel to be turned off. The medium should run along side it without isssue. The high will give a sharper image of drop offs with the narrower cone width and be marginally less likely to suffer from target masking than the medium. It will be easier to position yourself directly over targets with the high once you start talking depths over 30 metres. The medium will go to a deeper depth.

The 3 in 1 already covers shallow water well. Both the H and M overlap frequency at 130 and the slightly wider cone angle on the M helps find fish/ ground and will run deeper. I was used to a B60 but the 75m chirp is much, much better for showing detail and fish. I don’t know how much different my experience would be had I bought the H. However I don’t give that any thought as I’m completely happy with what I’ve got. I do fish deeper water sometimes to 200m or so which was another consideration.

HTML Code:
    The 3 in 1 already covers shallow water well. Both the H and M overlap frequency at 130 and the slightly wider cone angle on the M helps find fish/ ground and will run deeper. I was used to a B60 but the 75m chirp is much, much better for showing detail and fish. I don’t know how much different my experience would be had I bought the H. However I don’t give that any thought as I’m completely happy with what I’ve got. I do fish deeper water sometimes to 200m or so which was another consideration.
    thanks - starting to understand it

Hi

are the B75 and the SS75 the same?

with the B being for a Bronze housing for fibreglass and the SS for stainless steel for metal boats?

Quote Originally Posted by stevet View Post
    Hi

are the B75 and the SS75 the same?

with the B being for a Bronze housing for fibreglass and the SS for stainless steel for metal boats?
    I think you’ll find they are exactly the same, except for the housing

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

You can read to assure yourself, but they are the same.

I actually run a B60 and I am very happy with its performance

SS75
    http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=55

B75
    http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=53

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums