Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transducer recommendation for HDS unit

Re: Transducer recommendation for HDS unit

Thanks - was second guessing myself

Here is some really useful info from Airmar on their CHIRP transducers and it explains a lot about frequencies, cone angles and the like. In fairly user friendly language.

For the shallow water use that the OP mentions, a combination of the 3-in1 that he already has and the SS75H with its focussed narrow cone angle would be hard to beat. SS75H with its narrow beam will be much better than the M version for holding bottom at speed and picking up fish and structure while on the plane. Its reputation for this is well documented.

The HDS Live has the capability to run them both at the same time.

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochu...ment-chirp.pdf

I run my TM150M at fixed 145khz fixed frequency when travelling at speed so the narrower cone holds bottom better and shows detail. When fishing/drifting I change to med chirp or fix the frequency at 95-115khz.

Its also worth noting that the wattage output is less important for CHIRP than it is for traditional broadband transducers. A 300W CHIRP transducer is far more sensitive than a 600W traditional 50/200 transducer and capable of teaching at least the same depths if not significantly deeper.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

HTML Code:
    There is some really useful info from Airmar on their CHIRP transducers and it explains a lot about frequencies, cone angles and the like. In fairly user friendly language.
    thanks and had some time to do some comparison on the Airmar site

the following screenshot of the High and Medium over the same target has steered me towards the High
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all for your responses. Certainly some things for me to think about here.