Thread: 23 Huntsman Sedan

23 Huntsman Sedan

Hi All, firstly thanks for having me. Just signed up🤝
    I have just purchased a 23 huntsman sedan. Guessing mid 80’s. I have a hull ID, can anyone explain how the numbering system works? Also looking for the history of huntsman boats. Only info I can find are assumptions about being built from the same mould and factory as Bertram.
    please keep in mind I am new to forums and new to Ausfish.

Re: 23 Huntsman Sedan

hey darkcloud sounds awesome the 23 huntsman , looks like they are cut from the same cloth as a bertram , some say could be the best riding 20fter out there in a mono , how did you come about this project and look forward to your progress cheers

Hey Catshark cheers for the post.
    I will do my best to post project updates. I’m pretty good when it comes to fixing anything but absolutely hopeless when it comes to posting, can’t use Facebook, TikTok, can’t make or post videos on YouTube. Hopeless 😩

Hey Dark keen to see some pics if u can get them up

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Huntsman were a bit of a mixed bag, it seems some were built by other manufacturers, or at least copied, some were completely different, the big Flybridge version was not the same as the Haines, which in some cases is the same as a Bertram, very confusing boat building times back then.

Hi noelm
    thank you for your post. Very confusing how builders operated back then. I’ll keep looking but the huntsman is definitely very hard to find history on.
    pete.

Could have also been built by International Marine (Caribbean Boats) https://www.caribbeanboats.com/about/
    They were very helpful to me in a 70s model commodore, I gave them the # and they came back with a 'build sheet' including all the specs for my particular boat when it left the factory.

Hi Fed,
    awesome info. I read the past thread you posted, so thank you and I will look up Caribbean boats as you suggested.
    thanks again.

pete.

Anthony/Chocolatemoose has a facebook group for diy boaters maybe ask on there?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

hey DC sounds like the huntsman could have some carribean influence to it as well as the bertram , like noel says mixed bag of pedigree greatness ha ha , tell you what one special moment i had once was trying to negotiate a big swell head sea in my cat years back and was shocked when behind me came a bertram 23 and passed me into it with ease , shocked that i was out gunned but green with envy of the bertie ..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    hey DC sounds like the huntsman could have some carribean influence to it as well as the bertram , like noel says mixed bag of pedigree greatness ha ha , tell you what one special moment i had once was trying to negotiate a big swell head sea in my cat years back and was shocked when behind me came a bertram 23 and passed me into it with ease , shocked that i was out gunned but green with envy of the bertie ..
    They were, and are still, an awesome hull. Do you know that the current new Caribbean 2300 is popped out of the original 23 Bertram mould? They just put a modern cap and hardtop on it. A mate bought one a while back--we've only had time for one really quick seatrial outside, as he is flat out with an accommodation business and WA's internal tourism boom. What a weapon.
    Another example of mix n'match hulls and names from that era is the Pride Sea Raider. The boys from "Hook, Line, and Sinker" showed off their most recent acquistion for restoration an few weeks back. They've re-done two flybridge Berties, a 23 and a 25, IIRC, with outboard power. Anyway, they show this Pride, and I'm "Thats' a Reefrunner" Unmistakeable from the front. So, I google it, and International Marine bought Pride back in 70's, and produced them until the 80's, when they shut the brand down. So the Pride is an original Reefrunner hull, with the deeper V and stern drive. Same hardtop, fitout, everything. Makes you wonder why, when the Reefrunner was an aspirational boat for so many.

Hi all.
    thanks heaps for the info.

Most of the bigger Huntsman flybridge models had a very full bow compared to Bertram's.