Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surtees/Barcrusher

Surtees/Barcrusher

Surely one and the same Boat arent they ?? , otherwise someones make a copycat??..

Re: Surtees/Barcrusher

Yes & No ..... 20+ years ago the guys at Barcrusher were bringing in partially built Surtees boats & finishing them off before going out on their own .

I've seen a few more or less side by side ..... I think the Barcrusher boys improved on the Surtees .

I think these days there is enough between them to say they are different boats

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

the barcrusher roof though , bit of a howler their im thinking . dont think the surtees have that ski jump roof on theirs

Arnt the surtese and the bar crusher a 20 year old design still being flogged today have they made any changes at all?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Surtees tend to be the innovators, then Barcrusher copies their ideas, blocking off the ballast keel was a Surtees idea, now available of Barcrushers..

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Surtees will always be superior........

Col
    Not a chance in hell

I compared very closely the center consoles of both & can say without bias that the Barcrusher are infinitely a better finished boat . The Gen II hull is superior to the old design of the Surtees. .... better ride
    eg Console design & finish is superior on the BC - Surtees is narrow & cheap ( not suited for dual sounders (specially 12") .
    T Top - full aluminium (fold down) std Vs fixed (material clad) .... option
    Front hatch fully braced & channeled - good hinges with Perko locks ...... Surtees basic & poorly finished .

Surtees still use generic plastic access hatches rather than fabricated Alloy - electrics / switch panels are generic in Surtees
    Barcrushers options for seating are better & the premium baitboard is a work of art .
    Barflap is a better arrangement than on the Surtees

welding is on par with each other.

Surtees boats seem to be finished to a price .... & it shows

So no way Jose that Surtees make a better boat from my experiences with the console boats.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

All pedantic drivel aside I do love the baitboard on Naggs Barcrusher and I'll be copying the BC seatbox design to be able to have a sliding fridge esky with tacklebox...its a cracker..

bar-crusher-icebox-seats-2-web.jpg...

gazza some haines from th e70s which were copies are now still being copied themselves, who cares how old they are

i like the surtees and being a kiwi am biased,i would have my passport cancelled for buying a bar crusher
    i lump them in th e same basket as etecs

https://www.surteesboats.com/assets/...tees-Story.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    One mans pedantic Drivel, is another mans opinion !!!
    Could re open a whole pile of past pedantic Drivel, But some people sook ..
    I don't think Nagg will sook with what I've said, or block all in sundry for not thinking the same way..

But Yep, Nagg's set up there is awesome, not seen many better than that for sure...

Now, I didn't know Nagg even had a Barcrusher, I'm sure it's well set up and he's very happy with it...

Col
    I'll never sook & will take things in their stride when it comes to decisions made ..... that's me .

I made my comments based on doing the research & comparisons before I jumped in & made my choice ........ Will never say that the Barcrusher was the perfect choice either ..... it's not
    But - there is no way that the the surtees in the guise of a 610 CC - is a patch on my 615 ..... sorry it just doesn't compare .... bang for buck , fit out ......
    I don't shy away from the origins of BC nor how they have adopted much from Surtees ...... that's a matter of fact . But lets not kid ourselves - most boats can trace their origins back to some other manufacturer ...... sharkcat , noosa kat , kevlakat , markham whaler anyone ...... it just that barcrusher were closely aligned .

Today they are different brands with different ideas on what makes for a good boat .
    When it comes to my CC - Barcrusher knocked Surtees out of the park ( if you dont believe me .... go on their respective websites & compare the pair)

As it stands right now - the BC is doing a great job ..... I doubt I will break it & it's got me through some very scary situations which gives me faith in the brand . Nothing is breaking or falling off the boat ..... that's a plus

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Latest Surtees style dash looks pretty good to me.

And the hulls have continued to be developed over the years. I know for a fact they tested a similar design to BC gen 2 hull and concluded that it made virtually no beneficial difference but added significant complexity and time to the build process. Applying the KISS principle, they rejected that design.

A few years ago BC even stole one of the key Surtees guys, in fact he was the one I dealt with when buying my boat.

I found that Surtees were very accomodating when it came to customising almost anything as long as it didn't affect the structural integrity. One critical example for me was they happily lifted the folding roof up 100mm to allow this very tall owner to stand underneath without head banging happening.

Barcrusher wouldnt. You got the standard package and that was it.

They will do and have done the esky-under-the seat frame designs and no doubt they have done a slide there too. They will do anything from a barebones boat with no paint and no seats, up to a fully tricked out model with all the bells and whistles.

I have had my Surtees for 10 years now and the boat still looks and performs great. The paintwork is still outstanding and not one bit of corrosion coming up underneath it. Cant say that for my friend’s BC of the same age....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....