Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surtees/Barcrusher

Re: Surtees/Barcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The folding hardtop on the Barcrusher is a shit thing, no one would copy that.
    Not wrong there ..

The ones on the Yellowfins have been causing all sorts of drama's..

There was a thread about them on the Yellowfin Plate boat Owners group just yesterday about a common problem that arose when I asked questions about them last year....

The first 2 photo's are the common cracking from having the hardtop supports welded onto the Gunnells with any type of reinforcing plate....

The third pic is the remedy that apparently took 9 weeks for Telwater to fix.....

This boat was said to be just 3 months old..

Its a known issue that Telwater have not bothered to resolve and if it doesnt happened till its out of warranty then they say its the owners responsibility, despite it being inevitable..

Hardtop/cabin construction seems to be an aussie production boat problem with issues with cracking reported in Formosa, Tabs, Stessl, Seajay and YF that I have heard of from owners ..seems mostly due to poor design and workmanship and flimsy construction....some of those brands in Centre cab configuration just bolt the cab down straight onto carpeted plywood floors..

I havent heard any issues with the BC though so maybe they are just better designed and built..

YF hardtop.jpgyf hardtop2.jpgyellowfin bodgey weld.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Not wrong there ..

The ones on the Yellowfins have been causing all sorts of drama's..

There was a thread about them on the Yellowfin Plate boat Owners group just yesterday about a common problem that arose when I asked questions about them last year....

The first 2 photo's are the common cracking from having the hardtop supports welded onto the Gunnells with any type of reinforcing plate....

The third pic is the remedy that apparently took 9 weeks for Telwater to fix.....

This boat was said to be just 3 months old..

Its a known issue that Telwater have not bothered to resolve and if it doesnt happened till its out of warranty then they say its the owners responsibility, despite it being inevitable..

Hardtop/cabin construction seems to be an aussie production boat problem with issues with cracking reported in Formosa, Tabs, Stessl, Seajay and YF that I have heard of from owners ..seems mostly due to poor design and workmanship and flimsy construction....some of those brands in Centre cab configuration just bolt the cab down straight onto carpeted plywood floors..

I havent heard any issues with the BC though so maybe they are just better designed and built..

YF hardtop.jpgyf hardtop2.jpgyellowfin bodgey weld.jpg

im onto my 6th new quintrex and nothing about them says quality
    but they are functional and have good resale and would be significantly dearer if I built something custom with the same specs

I just sell em before I have issues with them

The barcrusher 615c roof suits me. I can fold it down to get under a 2.3m garage roof. It is not too big for casting and if I need more protection I can put up an extension. It is not be as good as hardtop when you need one and it’s also not as a good as a center console when you want to flick lures but it’s not a bad compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Surtees or BarCrusher still look as sexy as a hooker on her first week out they get the whistle from me

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    im onto my 6th new quintrex and nothing about them says quality
    but they are functional and have good resale and would be significantly dearer if I built something custom with the same specs

I just sell em before I have issues with them
    Yeah Steve that about sums it up.....poor bugga that started seeing cracks within 3 months though...he would be on his 6th 70K boat in under 18 months with your theory...lol..

I have an explorer which is fine as a barra boat in the creeks and I took it out to Dunk island on a calm day last week to save having to launch the bigger boat but there is nothing quality about it either...it does the job within its limitations and being alloy, any cracks or splits can be welded or patched up...

I cant see it being too long before Telwater start building them in China...the workmanship might actually be better...

I’ve been out in a 7m BC a few times and not a fan. Rides hard and very wet. Heaps nicer looking plate boats out there too. Many seem rave on about them not sure why. Quality of workmanship perhaps?

Ausfish Platinum Member

They've done a good job of selling them, IMO. They are quite well finished and equipped, for the class. As for ride, well, all my experience was over a week on a Gen 2 615. Caught my first blue marlin that week. We were at Exmouth, WA, where you have very deep water very close on the west side, and the massive windswept expense of Exmouth Gulf on the east side. So we had a real mix of conditions over that week. The gulf side tends to get a very nasty short sea when wind runs against tide, and we were fishing 20 miles from the ramp. The west side is real bluewater. The BC was reasonably dry all the way up to right angles across the sea, but, just a few degrees on the bow and they got very wet very quickly. The ride in a short sea was just horrible. We copped a real flogging coming back into it on the windy afternoons. It actually wasn't "that" bad directly into the bigger seas, the deep vee sorta helps there. But trying to quarter into a sea, that big slab of vee which starts at the bow means you are smacking it flat into the face of the wave. Really jarring, and slow, working the throttle all the time. And forget going fast head on into a short sea.

We did the same trip the following year in my Reefrunner. Not really a valid comparison, but it was just so much better, same conditions. We could really compete with the best of them, racing to the bait balls when they appeared, unlike the previous year. And the poor buggers trying to compete in the 670 Trailcraft didn't stand a chance, just like us the previous year in the BC Then we did a trip out to the Montebellos, and copped a hiding on the 47nm run back in, quartering into a fresh easterly. We had to keep stopping and waiting for him. He sold the BC after that, is looking for a glass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    I’ve been out in a 7m BC a few times and not a fan. Rides hard and very wet. Heaps nicer looking plate boats out there too. Many seem rave on about them not sure why. Quality of workmanship perhaps?
    I have said this many times, being on TV fishing shows with some "celebrity" telling you every 2 minutes how fantastic they are makes them very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have said this many times, being on TV fishing shows with some "celebrity" telling you every 2 minutes how fantastic they are makes them very popular.
    Same as their tow vehicles that is until next season when they change

13K off at the moment.....I might buy 2...

bc quote.jpg

The bar crusher / surtees is probably worth what they sell them for aluminium is not cheap at all, the welding machines and consumables, the electricity bills, the machinery to fab all the pieces

The trailer

The engine

I can see 80k in that quiet easy for a 6m+ boat theres probably a good 20-25k of aluminium there

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

13K off at the moment.....I might buy 2...

bc quote.jpg
    Not really a special - that's what you would pay for the package delivered .
    When I was originally looking I got similar pricing for the WR

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Being an owner - I wont rave about them & there are things not to like .

I don't believe they ride any harder than any other aluminium boat of similar dimensions & certainly better than many. ..... & it really depends on how you drive them.

What I will press is the build quality - the boat feels solid & that you couldn't break it .

There is a big fan base for Barcrusher boats & I can honestly say I dont know many other boat brands that can attract people to buy (upgrade) to their second & even third BC ........ Things cant be that bad .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Not really a special - that's what you would pay for the package delivered .
    When I was originally looking I got similar pricing for the WR

Chris
    Ah I hate that....the old special thats not really a special just to suck you in...

but at least its a well built boat set up for your fishing style that gets you out fishing and as you are happy with it then it shouldnt matter what others think and as mentioned if you ever want to upgrade or change to something else the high resale means you wont be out of pocket much at all...and I seriously dont know how you handle a centre console with Sydney winters though...that just sounds like pure madness..

Ah I hate that....the old special thats not really a special just to suck you in...

but at least its a well built boat set up for your fishing style that gets you out fishing and as you are happy with it then it shouldnt matter what others think and as mentioned if you ever want to upgrade or change to something else the high resale means you wont be out of pocket much at all...and I seriously dont know how you handle a centre console with Sydney winters though...that just sounds like pure madness..
    My second CC - first one was a 5.35 quintrex reef raider which I had for 9 years .

I just love the fishability of a CC & it's an ideal configuration for someone who does a lot of solo fishing . Yeh you can get wet ( never really cold .... I dress for the conditions)
    If I buy another boat - it will be a center cab for those overnighters .

As for the BC ..... I got a great buy - a near new boat (20hrs) & saved myself a motsa ........ I''m well ahead on that front. Ultimately I gauge a boat by the enjoyment it has given me (every boat has delivered ..... Reef raider , Hornet , Seajay barramasta .. so far the BC is delivering & there are some big trips yet to come .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO