Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight Anchoring - what to consider

Free Membership

Overnight Anchoring - what to consider

Hey folks,

I'm looking to spend a few days over at Moreton later in the month, so will be anchoring the boat (5.5m cuddy) overnight on the western side of the island but sleeping ashore. I've been spending a bit of time thinking about and researching how best to approach this. The obvious and most important aspects being making sure the boat doesn't drift, sink or get stolen... For the first two points, I plan to take the following precautions:

- Get a 3rd anchor so that I have two 10lb danforths to set off the bow in opposite directions and a smaller 8lb one for the stern (my current 2nd anchor). The two bow anchor approach seems to be best way to ensure one is always loaded up and neither can turn 180 degrees and break free as the tide changes. I'll use the 3rd one off the stern to ensure the nose is always pointing more or less away from shore and into the waves (if needed, the boat should do this by itself unless there is a lot of wind).
    - Perhaps some chaff protection for the bow anchor ropes? Seems common practice on larger boats, perhaps not needed on something this size?
    - Front and side clears will go on the boat if there is a chance of decent rain. Bit of a balance between windage and weather protection but I think I'd prefer the boat drag a bit than fill up with water...?
    - Pack a spare bilge pump and good bailing bucket, just in case!

As for boat security, other than taking all valuables and the key out, anything easy that can be done to make the boat a bit less appealing?

As a fairly general question, what do people find is a reasonable set of conditions for anchoring a boat of this style in? I've had my boat sit happily for a few hours in the location during the day with 20 knots + 0.5 m wave action (with the occasional big set from passing ships). In that situation I've just used a bow and stern anchor with 15-20m rode in 1-2m of water. I've found the bow anchor to be 100% reliable but the smaller stern one tends to drag if the wave action undercuts it or starts kicking the boat around and jerking the line as the tide goes out. To mitigate this I'll anchor further out for the overnight stretches in 3m+ water and ensure the stern anchor is set comfortably out from the low tide mark.

No doubt plenty of things that I don't know that I don't know, so please pass on any personal experience from similar ventures.

Thanks in advance

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Overnight Anchoring - what to consider

I'm just back from camping on board my Reefrunner in Shark Bay WA. We live aboard, so it's a bit different , but I also do a ,lot of mooring and camping ashore, at least a month each year.
    When sleeping aboard, I'm generally anchored on sandy or silty bottom, using a #2 Sarca and about 8 metres of chain. it is usually shallow, to get right up in the corners of the bays I use to keep out of the wind. And the wind will blow really hard overnight up there, believe me. The Sarca has never moved an inch, although we don't tend to get a lot of wave action.

When I'm camped ashore, I'll have a really good anchor down and lots of chain. I just couldn't sleep leaving it on something small, no matter how well it has held previously. As for using a stern anchor overnight--I would really caution against it. I can here the howls beginning from here, " me old man did it like that, me mates do it like that, i do it like that, never a problem" ---I've seen boats sunk at anchor overnight purely because of that stern anchor. Nearly did it myself once, before I woke up to it. Boats need to be able to swing to the wind and tide to ride correctly--you stop the boat from doing that, an unexpected, unforecast wind change/squall can leave you hanging side on, or stern to the wind, and you'll fill it up via the well before you know it. Now, I'm not familar with where you are talking about, it may be appropriate there, but be cautious.

As for using 2 10lb danforths--if the bottom is mud or sand they hold great, but you are much better just using a single larger one. 15 or 20 lb with a reasonable amount ( say, 6-8 metres of 8mm) will hold a boat that size against anything. If the wind or tide swings it right around, it will just adjust itself. Using two small 10 lb anchors you run the risk of breaking one loose, dragging it across the other, tangling, then you don't have much holding you.
    You probably want the stern anchor to save swimming out in the morning? Fair enough, I hate that too. You can rig up a running mooring, with an endless rope. Drop the suitably sized anchor out far enough, secure the shore end, tie your boat off on a painter to the endless rope. Pull it in and out at will. Like below

Mooring.jpg

This is a good setup if you plan to spend more than a night out there--you don't really need a pulley out the anchor end for short stays, a nice stainless shackle will do-gal tends to rub through the rope. if you don't want to go that far, i'd just go with the single larger danforth and put it where you can wade it in the morning. Simple and safe. As for your other questions, yes, have some protection on the riding rope where it attaches to the boat--I don' know what you bow setup is, but just have some plastic tubing over the rope where it can rub on the boat.

And lastly, leave your anchor light on--apart from any other considerations, it's easy to see its still there when you get up for a leak. LED globes draw zilch and are very bright, if you don't already have one in it.

Free Membership

Thanks for the feedback!

To provide some further context, the location has a perfect sandy bottom so the Danforth anchor seems to hold really well - no doubt a bigger one will be better though. I'll see if I can get a 12 or 15 before I go (won't fit in the anchor locker but handy to have for this stuff I suppose). As far as the stern anchor, I have flip flopped on that. Initially I was thinking no stern anchor for the reasons you mention. Then I thought a bit more about the location. It always seems to have the wave action coming in pretty close to perpendicular to the beach and is fairly protected from an easterly (beach side) due to sand hills and vegetation. Factoring these things in, I'm feeling that the boat is less likely to be in position for the stern to be exposed to swamping with an anchor on the beach side, keeping the bow facing pretty well into the waves regardless of the wind direction. I plan to have the stern anchor quite loose so the boat can still swing through 90 degrees or so with the wind but not so much it'll get side/stern on to the waves.

The sites below have some depictions of what I'm aiming for. I think this looks like an appropriate setup for the location, with the anchors setout parallel to the beach (the primary tidal current orientation). My main concern is the boat swinging around in circles and twisting up the rode, as you mentioned. If this were to occur, I can see it holding the nose of the boat down if the effective rode length got short enough. I very much doubt this would occur with the constant wave action pushing the boat towards shore but I can't be sure that will always be the strongest force acting on the boat. This again lead me back to the stern anchor, which would prevent the boat doing full loops, instead just allowing it to swing through 90 degrees or so from a more or less fixed pivot at the bow.

https://www.anchoring.com/blogs/anch...rs-off-the-bow
    https://www.boatingmag.com/three-way...e-two-anchors/

I may be overthinking the whole thing with the anchors breaking free with wind/current changes. I can see how that would occur in the first place but unless the rode did something really weird around the anchor, I can't imagine that it wouldn't just reset itself in much the same location given the nice sandy bottom???

I will aim to get to the location not long after lunch so that I can play around with and observe a few setup options, probably my best bet for getting it right at the end of the day.

Anchor light will definitely be on. I've not used it in anger before (just tested it) so I might let it run overnight in the shed one night before I go just to make sure it a) stays working for a long period, and b) doesn't chew any more juice than it should.

What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member

OK, modified the attachment so you can see the endless rope arrangement.

Free Membership

I'm not too worried about a swim to and from the boat, so long as it's still there haha! Looks like it'll be close to low tide when I park the boat up in the arvo and again when I want to retrieve it in the morning.

I will try this out one day though, better than having to wade out to the boat to adjust anchor rope lengths throughout the day, especially in winter!

Mike if your going to try it out suggest you attach your pulley block at the end of the anchor chain.
    Then connect your paynter. One end to the bow and the other to the join in your "endless rope" so the boat is pulled in to shore when you want it and back out to be "stored":

If your "endless" rope (apart from the bowline connections) is long enough you can anchor well off shore and the boat is free to swing with the wind and current in circles around the end of the anchor chain. You still have the whole deal attached to the anchor on shore or the tree you tied the end of the "endless rope" to.

Hope the above helps, it works for me on a 6.2 Vagabond!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Can u anchor off the beach or where your going to anchor and tie a rope to the cleat and run that to land as a secondary precaution?

Watch that little episode by Jerremy Wade the guy who travels around the world catching large fish he came to Australia to shoot a series and he and his crew were in no mans land when they spotted a guy on a island stranded and dehydrated

The blokes boat got away from him and all his fresh water was on the boat film crew were lucky to save the blokes life

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Personally I would say don't - sleep onboard. Mate across the roads boat disappeared under the same circumstances a few years back - not the first and I suspect certainly won't be the last. It was dual anchored so I find it impossible to believe that it wasn't "assisted" in it's disappearance.

If you must though, given what happened a couple of weeks back, I would be thinking along the lines of Chimo's set up making sure the anchor and chain is on the heavier side of suitable.

Free Membership

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Personally I would say don't - sleep onboard. Mate across the roads boat disappeared under the same circumstances a few years back - not the first and I suspect certainly won't be the last. It was dual anchored so I find it impossible to believe that it wasn't "assisted" in it's disappearance.

If you must though, given what happened a couple of weeks back, I would be thinking along the lines of Chimo's set up making sure the anchor and chain is on the heavier side of suitable.
    Such a shame the world is full of idiots. It'd be lovely not to have to worry about thieves and vandals... Did he get his boat back?

What happened a couple of weeks back???

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC90 View Post
    Such a shame the world is full of idiots. It'd be lovely not to have to worry about thieves and vandals... Did he get his boat back?

What happened a couple of weeks back???
    This x 2

Matt

Nope. She was gone. Couple of weeks ago in a big blow there was a Cruise craft swamped and rolled and I assume written off.

Anchoring at night i have always had the fear of running with the tide and ending up miles at sea in a boat that is not sea worth or capible

I tend to way over think things tho we may have pulled achor and moved a few meters but all my over night stays we have stayed put

Surprised there weren't a few more responses here as s lot of guys go to Moreton. Currents can be quite strong at times but check the weather forecast, any hint of a westerly including NW (less chance as weather warms up) call off your trip as that is what causes lots of drama over there.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Anchoring at night i have always had the fear of running with the tide and ending up miles at sea in a boat that is not sea worth or capible

I tend to way over think things tho we may have pulled achor and moved a few meters but all my over night stays we have stayed put

Anchor alarm on the GPS covers that these days.