Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old used Haines Hunter 17 down the coast

Re: Old used Haines Hunter 17 down the coast

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Been in both boats thousands of times, and without trying to discredit either boat, or get into a war with owners of either boat, I personally think the 18' Sharkcat is the better performing boat, it had plenty of faults that could be rectified with only above water line modifications, the Sharkcat is a very forgiving boat, and takes no special skills to get going and had no handling vices, it's probably up there with one of the best boats ever, BUT.....finish was poor, build quality was lousy at best, very bare build, low in the front, all sorts of things that the 5.2KC did well and left the Sharkcat for dead, I knew Harry Carter (who owned Kevlacat) really well and we were good mates, and seen them built, by comparison, a Sharkcat is/was a back yard build, when Noosa took over they upped the game quite a bit, but, the basic hull remained the same, because it was just so good.
    What particularly do you think made the performance of the SC better? Particularly the hull shape? The extra weight they had in them? The straight back (euro transom) vs pods with the step up that the KC has?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I think it's just the hull shape, they don't have a steep stem and never dig in as such, I don't think weight has a lot to do with how they go, it's just a simple shape that works (the later ones this is) I have been in 23' hundreds of times too, and they are a great boat, but they are BIG and take a bit of getting used to, the 5.2KC and the 18' Sharkcat are the ideal size for general fishing, towing and storage. The 5.2 is a great boat, they tend to rock from side to side a bit, but go OK, but (in my opinion only) the 18'/5.6 Sharkcat has the performance edge, when running.

Little haines hunter 15ft $150 i could actually knock something in this size over in 6-9 months as a 15 foot hull is tiny

This boat https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moun...tlook&utm_medi has been coming up on gumtree everytime i open the app, the guy is clasding it as a bertram but check the 10th picture look at those reverse chines they look very uniquily like a haines hunter could this hull possibly be a hains hunter and this guy is grossly under valuating his boat?

could be what they called a bertram moppie looks similar style of runabout , the yamaha has clocked up near 3000 hours go the yamaha boo yeah

The guys on fb made it aware to me that flaired out reverse chine was actually a bertram design that HH used i thought HH added those chines to the bertram design

The whole Haines/Bertram thing was a mixed up history, different people making each brand, moulds swapped and modified, lots of funny stuff that's hard to piece together with any real accuracy.

Yeah that is where im getting confused Noel so many people with different views on what went where

A really nice Eaden Craft F233 ex coast guard just went up for sale looks a bit dated inside think it was 70k they seem to have good value the Formulars

did any ausfisho buy this haines hunter , would like to see a rebuild thread

I have been watching videos of HH they run really nicely and the horse power guys are putting on them are huge

I know my caribbean was version 1 of the V19 but there was quiet a lot changed in the hull from V19 to V19R from memory my hull is 5.7m beam is 2.07m the HH V19R is 5.9m with a beam of 2.3m with unique reverse chines

In saying my hull is 2.07m wide wouldit run harder and handle more speed than the HH V19R at 2.3m beam?

90hp is going to be gutless if guysare running 200hp on these size hulls i wouldlove a 200hp Etec just they dont have the reliability there and a 200hp 4 stroke would probably weigh 250kg+

Now wishing i grabbed that haines hunter lol bugger

Found a little v133 im thinking about calling the bloke this morning

13' or smaller is tinny size (in my opinion) no glass for me in that size. Finish the big boat first, don't take on another project, or you will have two boats laying around (in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Little haines hunter 15ft $150 i could actually knock something in this size over in 6-9 months as a 15 foot hull is tiny
    and by the time your finished you would have spent more then one that was usable in the first place

unless your very specifically want a certain hull done a certain way its a dollar losing situation