Thread: gelcoat spraying ...how old is too old?

gelcoat spraying ...how old is too old?

Just trying to finish off some mudguards..ok so not Michelangelo finish required....

I have some test mixes of sprayable gelcoat and tint from about 10 weeks ago ...stored under dust free conditions...obviously not catalysed...running short of time and material....can I use this mixed in say 50:50 with new material?

Re: gelcoat spraying ...how old is too old?

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    Just trying to finish off some mudguards..ok so not Michelangelo finish required....

I have some test mixes of sprayable gelcoat and tint from about 10 weeks ago ...stored under dust free conditions...obviously not catalysed...running short of time and material....can I use this mixed in say 50:50 with new material?
    yes, tint won't have an effect on storage capabilities, after all, lots of white tint went in to make it white in the first place.

thanks...much appreciated

Hey Inver was it u who was building the fibreglass mudguards? If u wanna show us im keen to have a look at how they turned out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

When we buy gelcoat it comes with a guarantee for 3months. After 3 months its still good if stored out of direct sunlight and in a cool place. Life span differs between brands. Do a test on a small amount. If the gel time hasnt drifted & theres no sign of crystalising it will be ok to use without mixing into new material. Its not really old so I would use it as it is, Just dont leave it too long.
    Thats my opinion anyway
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

I think i recall reading gelcoat has a 12 month shelf life from when it was made

thanks...job done....I test tried gelcoat again and it didnt do well...so bit the bullet and sprayed paint...I will get back to it when it goes tatty and fishing season is over!I will see if I can raise a photo.....

Inver just remember u can wet sand a bad job than polish it and it should come up looking good

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Inver just remember u can wet sand a bad job than polish it and it should come up looking good

Or just do a good job with minimal finishing required.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Or just do a good job with minimal finishing required.
    You might wanna read what he said Digs

You might wanna read what he said Digs

Yep, he did a test spray with gelcoat(I would presume not on his work), didn't work and went to paint. Did I miss something gaz?

I think i recall reading gelcoat has a 12 month shelf life from when it was made

Not so important when it was made Gazza. Additives are blended into the gelcoat prior to sale.I repeat, We get 3 mth warranty from that time.
    Mick.
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..