Thread: Ballast Tank

Ballast Tank

Just wanting some opinion on the pro/cons of ballast tanks on 7m trailer boats like those on Barcrushers from those who have real live experience with them. Do they make any appreciable difference in stability? Any downside? Thanks.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Re: Ballast Tank

They do work, being able to block it off is an advantage, Barcrusher now offer that after copying it from Surtees, I guess depending on your interpretation of "appreciable" will depend on how much difference they make.

Wonder if the balast tank makes any difference if the boat rolls over could it possibly self right?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I doubt it, the tank is open ended, water just flows out when not stationary, and even if it was locked in, there would be nowhere near enough weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    They do work, being able to block it off is an advantage, Barcrusher now offer that after copying it from Surtees, I guess depending on your interpretation of "appreciable" will depend on how much difference they make.
    I guess that's my question, "how much difference do they really make"? If it's that good, why don't other boats have them and when would it be advantages to "block it off"? Will it affect the hole shot?
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

they don't affect "hole shot" the instant the boat moves forward, the water just drains out (unless you have the flap closed) the only disadvantage I have ever experienced was trolling slow with a decent sea, the water rushes up the chamber and makes the boat nose heavy for a second, I have heard "internet stories" of this happening crossing a bar, but I can't say whether that's true or not (possible I guess) but, that's where the block off comes into play, if you search YouTube there's a short movie of a Barcrusher crossing (I think) Narooma bar and it's going quite slow, a wave catches it from behind and it just spears off, nose down and flips over, did the ballast tank cause this?? but the flap negates that happening, but not if you have an older model! others don't do it simply because of cost, the fibreglass Seadevil have a flooding keel, it's like everything boating, it's a compromise.