Thread: Lowrance Networking Basics

Question Lowrance Networking Basics

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Lowrance HDS10 set-up on an NMEA2K network.

I'd like to add another unit such as an HDS 7 or 8 and add them to the existing network.

I'm a bit confused about how to do this as there seems to be 2 possible ways - linking the units by ethernet cable or adding the second unit to the NMEA backbone.

What are the pros and cons of each and which way should I go? I think (but may be wrong) that if I connect by ethernet then I will need also need to connect the second unit to a power source. If I add to the NMEA, the power is taken from the backbone itself.

I'm sure lots of people will have done this and would love a bit of advice on the subject!

Thanks
    Joffo

Re: Lowrance Networking Basics

Hi Joffo,
    I'm no expert (I'll leave that for Scotar or the moose) but I have a simrad and HDS carbon networked with NMEA 2k and ethernet.

I think the ethernet allows the sharing of a transducer only between units and the NMEA2K allows for all other data (GPS marks, charts etc).

Regarding the power I am pretty sure you will still need power to the unit separate to the NMEA2K through the normal power cable. They different fuse sizes anyway from memory.

Again no expert... Cheers

so Ethernet is high speed high data communication.. basically anything with an image "sonar, mapping, radar" all communicates via Ethernet.. with the earlier HDS series there are some limitations on what can be shared between units via ethernet based on the model/generation of the units

NMEA2K is lowbandwith.. basically its justs numerical data "position, speed, depths, wind direction, heading.. anything like that" the NMEA2K backbone needs to be powered.. and needs to have termination .

Each head unit needs its own seperate DC power,, and the NMEA2K backbone needs its own power

thats a bit of a general overview

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    so Ethernet is high speed high data communication.. basically anything with an image "sonar, mapping, radar" all communicates via Ethernet.. with the earlier HDS series there are some limitations on what can be shared between units via ethernet based on the model/generation of the units

NMEA2K is lowbandwith.. basically its justs numerical data "position, speed, depths, wind direction, heading.. anything like that" the NMEA2K backbone needs to be powered.. and needs to have termination .

Each head unit needs its own seperate DC power,, and the NMEA2K backbone needs its own power

thats a bit of a general overview

Moose
    Moose can you give me an idea as to a unit that will allow bathymaps installation for less than $1500 please
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Thanks for the replies and information Moose but I still don't have an answer to my question.
    Are you saying that I should connect the units by ethernet AND the nmea network to maximise their potential?

Quote Originally Posted by joffo81 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and information Moose but I still don't have an answer to my question.
    Are you saying that I should connect the units by ethernet AND the nmea network to maximise their potential?
    You can for sure. depends on how much networking you would like
    but yep NMEA2K and ETHERNET will offer you the most amount of shared data

www.moosemarine.com.au

1ft contour bathymetric mapping is pretty much available on all combo units now days. or are you refering to the relief shading mapping ?

www.moosemarine.com.au

Lowrance Networking Basics

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    1ft contour bathymetric mapping is pretty much available on all combo units now days. or are you refering to the relief shading mapping ?
    Something like this style of mapping got it thanks found the info
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......