Thread: Offshore Caloundra 5-6/10/2020

Offshore Caloundra 5-6/10/2020

Gday guys, just a quick report from a trip over Monday and Tuesday. Left Caloundra on Monday at 7.00am for a pretty ordinary bar crossing. Hunted around for bait but only got about 20 yakkas. Headed straight out, pretty slowly due to left over slope, to 200m. Hunted around for quite some time before anything showed worth dropping on. After we got 5 small barcod, we went a bit wider looking for flames but nothing showed anywhere. We headed into 60m to anchor up for the night and first drop saw a nice snapper, then the next drop the same. We had 20 minutes of absolute bedlam where 7 snapper between 65-70cm and 1 at 80cm was landed.
    The snapper shut down then and only small pearlies would bite. I would say we swung off the mark with the wind.
    At about 7.00pm with a decent breeze blowing, I watched my anchor float drift past. By the time we pulled the anchor by hand, we would have had no chance of finding it so I didn’t bother. During the night, it blew pretty constantly and by morning we had swung way off our mark so didn’t bother fishing and pulled a lot of rope by hand to get the anchor up.
    We punched back out to 200m for nil and then stopped on a wreck on the way back in for 3 nice pearlies.
    Back home for lunch on Tuesday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2833.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	122360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2836.JPG 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	122361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	122362

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Offshore Caloundra 5-6/10/2020

Not a bad effort well done. I have had to float come off also, not fun. Did you use the clip on the float? I changed mine to a solid ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Shaun, yeh mate it was on with the clip. Not sure what went wrong but yeh I may go back to the solid ring also. I didn’t unclip it very often but it was handy when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Hi Shaun, yeh mate it was on with the clip. Not sure what went wrong but yeh I may go back to the solid ring also. I didn’t unclip it very often but it was handy when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    I might have a better clip, just remind me when you pop around.

Great report and great haul.
    Should keep you well fed for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk