Thread: Cairns family boat options?

Cairns family boat options?

Hi all,
    A friend in Cairns is looking to get a second-hand boat:
    - mostly family boating with 2 kids, some occasional light tackle fishing
    - trips to Green and Fitzroy Island, plus Tinnaroo dam

What size/type of boat should he be looking at? Stick to glass for offshore ride or are there some good ally options?
    Budget around $40k
    Appreciate any sugestions.

Re: Cairns family boat options?

I guess first off, he needs to think about what he wants from a boat for the majority of the time, bunks? open space? Cairns..sun protection? light to tow? all sorts of stuff. Probably a mass produced aluminium boat (Quintrex etc) will probably fit the bill, and look for a 4 stroke powered one.

If it’s more for family time than serious fishing, I would like at a bow rider. Something like this

https://www.quintrex.com.au/aluminiu...ge/cruiseabout

Something like a cuddy cabin where he can get his children out of the harsh sun or for a little rest at times.

I’d be looking at glass hull for a better ride and stability

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Yeah all the guys above are on the money..

The Bowrider is a great family option for inshore and dams and even out to the reef on a flat day...the centre cab is best for a family allrounder though as mentioned because when the kids get tired, sunburnt, bored etc they can just toddle off into the cab...with a set of clears they are also great for some spray protection when the Sou easters blow up as they do for 6 months of the year with afternoon Northerlys or Nor westers for the remainder..

These guys hire boats of different configurations that may be worth a go to take the family on a couple of day trips out the the islands/wrecks to see what works best for him so he can narrow down his choice .......https://boabboats.com.au/hire-rates

Go ally so he can just run the boat up onto the island beaches without fear of damaging the hull..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah all the guys above are on the money..

The Bowrider is a great family option for inshore and dams and even out to the reef on a flat day...the centre cab is best for a family allrounder though as mentioned because when the kids get tired, sunburnt, bored etc they can just toddle off into the cab...with a set of clears they are also great for some spray protection when the Sou easters blow up as they do for 6 months of the year with afternoon Northerlys or Nor westers for the remainder..

These guys hire boats of different configurations that may be worth a go to take the family on a couple of day trips out the the islands/wrecks to see what works best for him so he can narrow down his choice .......https://boabboats.com.au/hire-rates

Go ally so he can just run the boat up onto the island beaches without fear of damaging the hull..
    Great idea disorderly. Try before you buy ✔️

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks all, great ideas.

Hi,

I live in Cairns and irrespective of whatever boat is chosen it must have extended protection. A canopy that runs the full length of the boat is worth it weight in gold. Especially with little kids. The sun and heat is brutal up here and if you don't have sun protection you won't be boating with kids. In terms of boats, if they are only going to Fitzroy and Green Island and within 40kms offshore on good days then most boats will be okay. It's when you have storms and squalls that it can become a bit dicey but if they stick to sub 10knot days most boats will do the job.

Hope this helps.